Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What does the coach say about ankle locks? Personally I don't like them and always afraid someone will spaz out and move incorrectly and end up been hurt before I can release. .
    That only really happens if people dont know what they doing but refuse to just tap. Treating them like they're still taboo makes that problem worse, not better imo
    just one of the lads got injured in a competition recently so he wants people to careful about when they are used (slow roll is his preference or against more experienced practitioners). I take your point about the wrist locks so I should just move on??
    It's not the first time I've seen coaches with that logic. But I don't understand it at all.

Ankle locks are legal at white belt. Surely banning them from the gym only increases the chances of others getting caught with then in a comp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Ankle lock ie straight foot lock being discussed here? would agree if its allowed in comp it should be used in training provided both partners know the submission and arent beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Woops I thought the OP said heel hook for some reason... I don't mind ankle locks, heel hooks though I'm nervous trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Baron of Ballymun

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    It seems I may be a bit sensitive and its nothing more than a bruised ego so ill just man up and take it on the chin... but my question was more to do with gym etiquette. I've been subbed before by wrist locks/ankle locks and i know the pressure can be applied slow giving me plenty of time to tap but this was sharp. I assume if you are in a comp you would take this approach but not rolling with your "teammate". Lesson learned that everything must be kept tight at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Re: Wrist locks.

wristlocks.jpg

Seriously though, your coach's stance on straight ankle locks seems strange, if you're caught and know you're not getting out tap early.
    JK has a saying I agree with 100%, the best way to get better at BJJ fast is to get tapped a lot, put yourself in bad positions and let yourself feel uncomfortable.

All that said, I hate wrist locks and the second someone goes for one I'll either tap early or power out of it and be an arsehole for a few miniutes and make them uncomfortable just to let them know not to try it again.

p.s. if it's heel hooks he's using on you and you're a white belt who hasn't trained them, he's an arsehole.

• Advertisement

Re: Wrist locks.

wristlocks.jpg

Seriously though, your coach's stance on straight ankle locks seems strange, if you're caught and know you're not getting out tap early.
    JK has a saying I agree with 100%, the best way to get better at BJJ fast is to get tapped a lot, put yourself in bad positions and let yourself feel uncomfortable.

All that said, I hate wrist locks and the second someone goes for one I'll either tap early or power out of it and be an arsehole for a few miniutes and make them uncomfortable just to let them know not to try it again.

p.s. if it's heel hooks he's using on you and you're a white belt who hasn't trained them, he's an arsehole.

I saw that meme on Facebook the other day. Pissed myself laughing :pac:

I saw that meme on Facebook the other day. Pissed myself laughing :pac:

I'm fairly sure I've posted it here somewhere before, it's a goodie, broke myself laughing when I saw it in a group chat the first time.

I'm fairly sure I've posted it here somewhere before, it's a goodie, broke myself laughing when I saw it in a group chat the first time.

I may post it to the club Facebook page they'll enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

They are a few types of awkward training partners, 99% of the time in my old club they were eastern europeans and were fond of neck cranks and **** like that, even on newer people they were clueless just brute strength the whole time I avoid people like that point blank I dont need to be waking up for work with a sore neck.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    They are a few types of awkward training partners, 99% of the time in my old club they were eastern europeans and were fond of neck cranks and **** like that, even on newer people they were clueless just brute strength the whole time I avoid people like that point blank I dont need to be waking up for work with a sore neck.

People who turn guillotines into neck cranks need slaps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Completely know what you mean about not needing to wake up for work with a sore neck, but if someone is head squeezing or cranking then I'll just tap straight away, hell with it. Usually get a surprised 'why did you tap?' look, and I may just explain or I may not.

I don't mind straight footlocks done by anyone, to be honest. If it's a twisting attack then I don't mind if it's someone who actually knows how to do them properly and is likely to let go if I make a bad mistake defending, and who is not going to crank it on out of desperation if they are having trouble finishing. But if it's a white belt or another blue belt that I know is a bit iffy on them then I will just tap early, same principle as above. If anyone should be annoyed by that it's actually them, because I am doing them out of the chance to learn how to get it properly.

Was listening to The Raspberry Ape podcast recently, and he encapsulated what I think is the problem with less experienced grapplers playing around with twisting leg locks. You can end up with a guy attacking who does not know how to perform it correctly, and has no hope of finishing but is substituting strength in the hope that will work, and on the other side you have a guy who doesn't know how to defend properly but thinks it may involve rolling, and who is frantically rolling the wrong way into the lock, with the only saving grace being that the attacker hasn't got it on right to capitalise. (He also made the classic argument that he wants people to develop their guard passing to a decent degree before seeing leg locks as an alternative game)

Wristlocks I don't mind, and if someone gets me with one I don't think that's something they should be punished for.

There are, as mentioned, people who roll hard (as in it's like you're rolling with a bag of hammers) as their default in every gym. Almost all of time they're not bullies, there's no malice intended, it's just how they roll. I have sometimes avoided them but to be honest isn't the real answer to develop as a grappler to the point where they don't really pose a threat anymore?

Part of it is learning their game, nullifying it and then trying to progress past them (because a lot of these guys do seem to just end up staying the same, year in year out, always tough but kind of technically stuck).

The other side of it is that sometimes when people give out about the stereotypical 'tough and strong eastern european' maybe they need to consider that they're just weak as hell and the other guy has a basic level of strength because he's spent a few years diligently following a lifting program. It's not witchcraft, probably just barbell training.

In saying all that I did see a visiting polish blue belt drop and do a kind of rolling kneebar on a white belt whose first class it was the other day. Probably not the best idea, the white belt had no concept of what was happening, didn't recognise it as an attack at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Completely know what you mean about not needing to wake up for work with a sore neck, but if someone is head squeezing or cranking then I'll just tap straight away, hell with it. Usually get a surprised 'why did you tap?' look, and I may just explain or I may not.

Yeah this is my view on things. Honestly if i get caught in any kind of joint lock, i tap. I dont try and work my way out of it. Like im just a hobbyist, im not trying to **** up my joints for a hobby. Ive been caught in triangles or RNCs and done my hardest to escape. But if someone has me in a tight armbar, **** trying to hitchiker out of it. Tap, reset, and save my elbows so i can use them in the morning.

It seems I may be a bit sensitive and its nothing more than a bruised ego so ill just man up and take it on the chin... but my question was more to do with gym etiquette. I've been subbed before by wrist locks/ankle locks and i know the pressure can be applied slow giving me plenty of time to tap but this was sharp. I assume if you are in a comp you would take this approach but not rolling with your "teammate". Lesson learned that everything must be kept tight at all times.

It's dickish behaviour but you can go hard on any sub. If he caught a armlock or choke on you he'd probably have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Weird one - We were drilling No-Gi Baseball Bat chokes last night. This morning my right wrist is hurting, presumably from adopting the final grip before the choke comes on.

Any recommendations to stretch it somehow? I can't imagine using a keyboard and mouse in work is helping matters :pac: - Or any tips to avoid this occurring again? Maybe I was gripping too tight or maybe I need to get more flexible wrists?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Weird one - We were drilling No-Gi Baseball Bat chokes last night. This morning my right wrist is hurting, presumably from adopting the final grip before the choke comes on.

Any recommendations to stretch it somehow? I can't imagine using a keyboard and mouse in work is helping matters :pac: - Or any tips to avoid this occurring again? Maybe I was gripping too tight or maybe I need to get more flexible wrists?

Could have strained it by bending the wrist as you tighten it. It's not a choke I'm particular good at, but I think that when pushing up, people are inclined to let their wrist bend.

Wrists are a balls to rehab. I hurt mine at the end of June and it's still not right. I don't know how I did it, either attacking or defending a kimura maybe.
    I'm about to give voodoo flossing a go on it. I'll let you know if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Clive's class by any chance?
    I had some lad try to twist my head off when I got caught in a RNC, strong little ****er.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm about to give voodoo flossing a go on it. I'll let you know if it helps.

Had a look at that just now. Let me know if it works as well. I hurt my hand striking a while back and it will not heal up at any speed other than glacial.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Had a look at that just now. Let me know if it works as well. I hurt my hand striking a while back and it will not heal up at any speed other than glacial.

It's work very well actually. Mobility is much better today. It think doing it twice a day, lightly mobilising help recovery. Rather than trying to massage/stretch it intens my once a week.

What I did was;
    Wrist rotations, and squeezing a stress ball.
    Wrapped with a voodoo band. Starting at hand, right up the forearm.
    Repeated rotations and stress ball. Then stretches out wrist by leaning on it on the floor.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/wrist-flexor-stretch-300x223.png

Any open mats on tomorrow (Sunday 5/8/17) in Dublin?

ADCC this year is stacked. 88kg is particular is class.

Under 66kg
    Uranov Zhakshylyk
    Janusz Andrejczuk
    Justin Rader
    Pablo Mantovani
    Paulo Miyao
    Yuta Shimada
    Ethan Crelinsten
    Kuba Witkowski
    Bruno Frazatto
    Geo Martinez
    Eddie Cummings
    Augusto Tanquinho
    AJ Agazarm
    Baret Yoshida
    Léo Vieira
    Rubens Cobrinha

Under 77kg
    Lachlan Giles
    Tero Pyylampi
    Mansher Khera
    Felipinho Cesar
    Marcelo Lapela
    Osmanzan Kassimov
    Vagner Rocha
    Oliver Taza
    Garry Tonon
    Lucas Lepri
    JT Torres
    Gilbert Durinho
    Gabriel Arges
    DJ Jackson

Under 88kg
    Craig Jones
    Jesse Urholin
    James Brasco
    Murilo Santana
    Kaynan Casemiro
    Kit Dale
    John Salter
    Piotr Marcin Frechowicz
    Romulo Barral
    Keenan Cornelius
    Gordon Ryan
    Pablo Popovitch
    Xande Ribeiro
    Leandro Lo
    Dillon Danis
    Rustan Chsiev

Under 99kg
    Roman Dolidze
    Kamil Uminski
    Eliot Kelly
    Mahamed Aly
    Salomão Ribeiro
    Yukiyasu Ozawa
    Paul Ardila
    Abdurakhman Bilarov
    Yuri Simões
    Luiz Panza
    Dean Lister
    Rafael Lovato
    Felipe Preguiça
    João Assis
    Jake Shields

Over 99kg
    Orlando Sanchez
    Arman Zhanpeisov
    Khamzat Stambulov
    Tom DeBlass
    Victor Honório
    Hideki Sekine
    Casey Hellenberg
    Abdulaev Ruslan
    Vinny Magalhães
    Marcus Buchecha
    Roberto Cyborg
    João Gabriel Rocha
    Jared Dopp
    Jeff Monson

Superfights
    Renzo Gracie vs. Sanae Kikuta
    André Galvao vs. Cláudio Calasans
    Frank Mir vs. Chael Sonnen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I used to find this happened to me but I slightly altered my hand positioning and it makes it a lot easier... a lot of people have their hands too close together, there should be a little room between the grips and this should help.

Another option I am using is a hurl grip (switching hands) and I find this far easier to finish, especially from side... it's a little bit harder to set up as you need to loop the chocking arm over the head but very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Also, in regards to people thinking their partners are rolling too hard, I think there is often an association that someone who rolls with a high pressure game is rolling too hard, especially by people who are new to the sport.

I use a high pressure game and many people my age (40+) do so as we don't have the flexibility. Personally I am 40, 2 ****ed knees (both rebuilt) and I weigh around 98KG so that IS my game. I always ease up on white belts but they still think it's severe pressure as they are not used to it. It's hard to roll high pressure without exerting pressure but the flip side is that my subs are usually very controlled, I am not using explosive power to lock a sub in so they are actually safer.

I love wrist locks, I do them a lot but mainly to bait someone to open up. It's a completely different game to roll with someone who can get subs from awkward positions like wrist locks/ toe holds (which I don't do) as you can't get comfortable and you have to be constantly aware.

I think that if a gym overlooks certain subs like wrist locks, it's to the detriment of their students as they will be exposed in competition ... plus wrist locks are extremely functional in self defence, more so than a lot of other BJJ subs. It is vital that those applying know how to lock it without going balls to the wall, you have to have the arm locked tightly before going for the wrist and therefore you will be able to methodically apply pressure as the arm is secure rather than not having a tight grip and trying to compensate by locking it in quickly which is when injuries happen.

I previously subscribed to ROMWOD (romwod.com) and used it probably 5 nights of the week. For $14 a month I felt like it was worth it - a turn-your-brain-off 10-20 minute period of stretching and mobility work that I otherwise wouldn't do.

During a particular busy few months - new baby - we fell out of the habit and cancelled it.

Thinking of getting it back, but I was also looking at Yoga for BJJ. I'm going to try their trial, but has anyone got an idea of what the pricing breaks down as per month (or annually) after the initial trial is over? Also, how long are the videos if we were to follow the week-long programs?

ROMWOD isn't perfect, but the daily programming and short videos mean that it's very do-able yin yoga. When I was doing it regularly it definitely improved my hip mobility significantly.

Editing: Ah, I think Yoga for BJJ is $19 per month or $149 per year?

$19 sounds right for yoga for BJJ.
    It's divided into multiple program "weeks".
    The intro is five 10 min videos. The next one is 5 x 20-30min sessions. It's a progressive program as opposed to a daily "do this". It's good but I don't make the time nearly enough.

I suppose I should get the yoga mat out tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anybody else struggle to sleep after a BJJ training session. I'm noticing a pattern

Anybody else struggle to sleep after a BJJ training session. I'm noticing a pattern

I'm usually that tired I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm usually that tired I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow.

Physically wrecked but mentally wired is my issue :/

A new sub only posted one of my submissions on their facebook page earlier. If it gets enough likes I'll get free entry into their next comp.

If anyone that has a FB page count like the post, could save me a few quid.

https://www.facebook.com/aussubonly/videos/337928469990959/

Mellor wrote: »
    A new sub only posted one of my submissions on their facebook page earlier. If it gets enough likes I'll get free entry into their next comp.

If anyone that has a FB page count like the post, could save me a few quid.

https://www.facebook.com/aussubonly/videos/337928469990959/

Kirmora? It's kinda hard to see from that angle but it looks like you have his arm when he goes over you?

• Advertisement

Yeah, Kimura from a bottom half. He verbally tapped halfway through the roll so I let up.
    I hit it from there a lot. This one was more of a modified knee shield I suppose. Once you get the grip there's lots of paths to a finish.

Advertisement