Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, Kimura from a bottom half. He verbally tapped halfway through the roll so I let up.
    I hit it from there a lot. This one was more of a modified knee shield I suppose. Once you get the grip there's lots of paths to a finish.

One of the guys in my club can hit a Kimura from anywhere... I'd swear he got one from the car park one night ;)

I'd say 80% of the subs he gets are Kirmuras.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mellor wrote: »
    A new sub only posted one of my submissions on their facebook page earlier. If it gets enough likes I'll get free entry into their next comp.

If anyone that has a FB page count like the post, could save me a few quid.

https://www.facebook.com/aussubonly/videos/337928469990959/

Done! Very nice man, it's lovely getting the kimura locked in from bottom half and just rolling with them. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

emmetkenny wrote: »
    One of the guys in my club can hit a Kimura from anywhere... I'd swear he got one from the car park one night ;)

I'd say 80% of the subs he gets are Kirmuras.

There's a guy I train with like that. He hits so many in comp that he's know as Harry Kimura, or even just "The Kimura Guy". I think I've only seen him catch other subs a handful of times in comp.
    He's a purple belt, but has caught kimuras on black belts more than a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Liked, Mellor. Sweet Sub

I've made a bit if headway in working through the Kimura trap system. There are Kimura's fricken EVERYWHERE

• Advertisement

Mini850 wrote: »
    Liked, Mellor. Sweet Sub

I've made a bit if headway in working through the Kimura trap system. There are Kimura's fricken EVERYWHERE

Cheers. Currently in first place. By only a few votes. I think it closes soon.

And yes, kimuras are everywhere. I've had to stop myself from focusing on them too much in training

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Done

Thanks for voting guys. They closed the polls last night, I came second by 2 votes. 143 to 141.

The bitch who won rallied a few votes while I was at the cinema. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone know where to order custom rashguards? I only want 2-3 for me not a club order or anything.

If I got plain rashguards would a tshirt printing place be able to put logos onto them for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

subguards.co.uk i think do small orders

• Advertisement

Subguards is probably closest. There's a few in America too but will probably work out more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

thanks I emailed subguards there hopefully they don't work out to expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

If you have designs are are not in a rush I can do them. Charge the normal price for rashies too. It will be about 2 months as I would need to combine it with another order as my suppliers wont do small runs.

Really frustating comp at the weekend. Got DQ's for reaping.
    Doubly frustrating because it wasn't actually a knee reap, and even if it was, it should have been a DQ as there was no submission applied.Only division for the same, so one match and home/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Reaping the knee is the biggest load of nonsense.

Reaping the knee is the biggest load of nonsense.
    Agreed. Not only is it not dangerous, it provides excellent control.

I'm annoyed I lost my rag a bit. But it didn't help the ref and my opponent where from the sane affiliation.
    I'm thinking about facebooking to apologise. On the fence though, I'm not really sorry tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I wouldn't bother with a Facebook post, pal. Seems a waste of time. It's between you and your opponent, maybe the ref too at best. Just let it go and move on with life. They probably have.

Knee reaping is weird. I remember Ryan Hall teaching heel hooks to me and encouraging the knee reap for additional control. If it's good enough for him, then it's good enough for me! :D

The problem with knee reaping is that when it's done with control for the purpose of control, it's fine... but if it's allowed some people will use it for pressure and do it in an uncontrolled manner thus leading to injuries. I personally prefer that it's not allowed as I have torn both my ACL and I really don't want to do it again.

I do think that the ref's need to be mindful of when a competitor rolls or moves the other opponents leg into a position where their knee is being reaped. If they do so to get their opponent DQ'd, they should get the DQ, if it's purely accidental, then roll on, they made the situation for themselves, deal with it.

I also feel the same about slamming - if someone jumps guard, the onus shouldn't be on the person who has been jumped upon to place them down on the mat like a fine piece of china. If someone lifts them from the mat then it's fine to DQ for a slam.

BTW, hoodies are baaaaaaccckkkkk. Linky here

• Advertisement

RoboRat wrote: »

I normally take a small in a hoodie but that's showing out of stock. How big fitting are the medium?

Not that big, hold off and I will check an XL later to see how it fits compared to other XL I have. They just arrived so I haven't had a chance to try one on.

Not that big, hold off and I will check an XL later to see how it fits compared to other XL I have. They just arrived so I haven't had a chance to try one on.

Perfect cheers for that!!

Any gis or hoodies coming with the "new" Wolfhound logo you have up on your Facebook page?

Would love a White/White gi (Like the Fuji Element) with just the Wolfhound logo thing on the pants or sleeve. Nice and clean. Or a Navy gi. This is why I don't own a company - I'd bankrupt myself with about a hundred different gi types! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

White belts can't jump to guard under IBJJF rules anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

"White belts can't jump"

Id watch that movie........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

And ordered!!!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Any gis or hoodies coming with the "new" Wolfhound logo you have up on your Facebook page?

Would love a White/White gi (Like the Fuji Element) with just the Wolfhound logo thing on the pants or sleeve. Nice and clean. Or a Navy gi. This is why I don't own a company - I'd bankrupt myself with about a hundred different gi types! :pac:

All lines to be redesigned with the new logo, we're also rolling back on the branding a bit, it was good to get the name out there but now we are somewhat established, so we want to go with a cleaner look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Do you wash your belts? If so, how do you stop the stripes coming off in the wash?

Advertisement