Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Funny after all the back talk last week. I've definitely strained mine.
    It was a bit sore last week after I was stubborn when stacked. Felt it again last Sunday after a few triangles in training.

At comp today. Hit a really simple triangle from guard. No stack or anything. But I'm like a scarecrow now. It's a bad sign when my victorys leave me in pain.
    Lost two by footlock on the same ankle so that will be massive tomorrow too no doubt. An injury right now would be bad timing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Any one train at the gyms in new york? there for a weekend next month be rude not to visit Renzos or Marcelos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gamebred wrote: »
    Any one train at the gyms in new york? there for a weekend next month be rude not to visit Renzos or Marcelos.

I called into Marcelo's when I was out for UFC 205. Enjoyed it, went to a class and open mat. Friendly guys and a nice facility.

Plenty of range of belts for all levels. I thought I fared pretty well against others at my level considering my crappy fitness and I hadn't been in the gym for a while about a month previously due to injury.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I called into Marcelo's when I was out for UFC 205. Enjoyed it, went to a class and open mat. Friendly guys and a nice facility.

Plenty of range of belts for all levels. I thought I fared pretty well against others at my level considering my crappy fitness and I hadn't been in the gym for a while about a month previously due to injury.

Nice, did you bring your own gi or how does it work dont fancy packing one for one training session.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Nice, did you bring your own gi or how does it work dont fancy packing one for one training session.

I brought 2!

I was in New York for 4 days and had 23kg luggage allowance. Didn't have my wife along and I don't exactly need a huge wardrobe for 4 days so I brought 2 gis. Had planned to go to a few classes but the timing didn't work in the end so I only needed 1.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I brought 2!

I was in New York for 4 days and had 23kg luggage allowance. Didn't have my wife along and I don't exactly need a huge wardrobe for 4 days so I brought 2 gis. Had planned to go to a few classes but the timing didn't work in the end so I only needed 1.

Ah right that was handy, im a different story heading florida after nyc so wont have room i might try get a nogi class in so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's rare enough to find places that do rental/loan gi.

I was in Ralph Gracie SF a few times over the summer, only brought 1 gi so was planning on mostly no-gi sessions but one of the lads there was mad sound and offered to wash my gi when he was doing his own so I was able to go 3 days of gi in a row. He'd wash them when he got home, hang them that afternoon and they'd be ready for the next morning.

It's rare enough to find places that do rental/loan gi.

I was in Ralph Gracie SF a few times over the summer, only brought 1 gi so was planning on mostly no-gi sessions but one of the lads there was mad sound and offered to wash my gi when he was doing his own so I was able to go 3 days of gi in a row. He'd wash them when he got home, hang them that afternoon and they'd be ready for the next morning.
    That is surely the definition of soundness. What a legend.

If I'm in NYC I'd be hitting up Renzos. Although bear in mind that ADCC is coming up if you were considering a private session with Danaher or something.

Mellor wrote: »

If I'm in NYC I'd be hitting up Renzos. Although bear in mind that ADCC is coming up if you were considering a private session with Danaher or something.

Nice and probably once in a lifetime but I can only imagine the price of a private with him, any idea out of interest?

Nice and probably once in a lifetime but I can only imagine the price of a private with him, any idea out of interest?
    When he came to Sydney, from what I remember, it was $200 or so for private training. He can't roll too well anymore so I was told it's best to bring a partner and split the cost. No idea is his price in NYC is the same.
    I only found out he was doing them here after he had left. Will definitely do it if I get the chance.

Was speaking to a guy who did one and said it was game changing. Incidentally he also heel-hooked me from outside ashi in our match.

• Advertisement

Justin Rader misses weight for ADCC and his spot goes to Nicky Ryan. At 16 years old he's the youngest ever competitor at ADCC.
    I don't care what anyone says, the kid has some set of balls.

Justin Rader misses weight for ADCC and his spot goes to Nicky Ryan. At 16 years old he's the youngest ever competitor at ADCC.
    I don't care what anyone says, the kid has some set of balls.

He has two bronze medals from the North American trials, anyone who thinks he isn't there on merit needs to stfu and accept that the boy is a phenomenal grappler.

Exactly, I cringe when the way some people go on. Especially when it's some hobbyist brown belt who'd probably get schooled by Nicky.
    The draw for that division will be interesting. I would absolutely love it if Nicky heelhooks AJ.

Cobrinha, Paulo or Tanquinho have to be favourite.

The 88kg bracket is actually insane

Romulo Barral
    Keenan Cornelius
    Gordon Ryan
    Pablo Popovitch
    Xande Ribeiro
    Leandro Lo
    Dillon Danis
    Rustam Chsiev
    Kit Dale (Australia)
    Craig Jones (Australia)
    Murilo Santana (Brazil)
    Kaynan Duarte (Brazil)
    Jesse Urholin (Finland)
    James Brasco (USA)
    John Salter (USA)
    Piotr Marcin Frechowicz (Poland)

I hope Ryan gets his hands on Danis early, he's going to rip him apart.

I hope Ryan gets his hands on Danis early, he's going to rip him apart.

I hope we see that match-up. But I don't think Danis gets past most of the top half there

Brackets are out.

Danis vs Ryan round 1.

Muhawhawhaw. I'd nearly think it was a fix by the organiser to ensure it happened.

Also Nicky vs AJ in first round at 66.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    Its some opportunity for Nicky but its hard to see him getting past AJ there. Will be the making of the lad though, imagine him in two years.

Any predictions? I'm going with Cobrinha-Lepri-Keenan-Pena-Buchecha

I'd just say whatever your predictions are, they'll be wrong, unless you backed Kron to run though a division. I can't actually believe they haven't invited him back.

I'd just say whatever your predictions are, they'll be wrong, unless you backed Kron to run though a division. I can't actually believe they haven't invited him back.
    He was invited to the 2015 ADCC as the reigning champ and he declined the invite to focus on MMA. Not surprised he was invite again.

As for Gordon v Dillon ....bwahahahaa
    The brackets aren't truly random, so who knows if it had a helping hand.
    I'll post predictions later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Just had a look at the flograppling website, thought I might try and watch this ADCC properly, but 30 quid a month subscription?

Guess I'll have to stay off line and wait for it to become...available :D

It's a load of balls. I'd happily pay for a PPV pass to view the event. But I've no interest in a Flo subscription for the year.

My thoughts on the bracketss;

66kg
    Would be silly to look past Cobrinha. But his side of the bracket is considerable tougher than the opposite. He'll have to get past Paulo (who's been on the Jon Jones diet). Augusto Mendes should walk to the final, if Cobrinha is carrying any sort of injury I could see Tanqinho stealing it.

77kg
    The division of kings. Renzo, Marcelo, Kron.
    Have to fancy Lucas Lepri to make the final again. Lepri beat Tonon 10-0 last time to knock him out. If they meet this time it won't be until the final. I have to go with Lepri.

88kg
    I've no idea who to pick here. All I'm sure of, is that who ever is an animal.
    For example, for Gordon to win he'll probably have to get through Danis, Romulo, Xande, Popovich/Leandro Lo.
    I think it will be Xande v Lo in the final with Lo getting the nod.

99kg
    The monsters.
    Jake Shields is a great grappler, but he's so undersized in this division.
    I'm leaning towards Yuri picking up double division golds. Pena in second.
    I love to see Jeff Monson take it down too, but think he'll be third.

99+kg
    Buchecha

I was gonna out a word in for the Aussies. Didn't bother. Craig Jones steps up...:eek:

Danis loses again to DDS, que the win or learn bs now.

Danis loses again to DDS, que the win or learn bs now.
    It was a draw. :confused:
    0-0 after 2 rounds

Gordon got the refs decision, but he didn't beat Danis there.

It was a draw. :confused:
    0-0 after 2 rounds

Gordon got the refs decision, but he didn't beat Danis there.

he lost on decision, no matter whose decision the result is hes knocked out.

he lost on decision, no matter whose decision the result is hes knocked out.
    I'm aware he's knocked out of the comp, I'not suggesting otherwise. I'm just pointing out the match finished 0-0 after overtime. It's not like winning a MMA fight on points. I'm glad Gordon won, I wanted him to choke Dillon out tbh. But that's not a result to gloat about or even be happy with.

I might change my tune if Gordon manhandled him, but failed to score on some technicality. But from what I read, many thought Danis had it. Haven't seen it yet, because Flo...

I'm aware he's knocked out of the comp, I'not suggesting otherwise. I'm just pointing out the match finished 0-0 after overtime. It's not like winning a MMA fight on points. I'm glad Gordon won, I wanted him to choke Dillon out tbh. But that's not a result to gloat about or even be happy with.

I might change my tune if Gordon manhandled him, but failed to score on some technicality. But from what I read, many thought Danis had it. Haven't seen it yet, because Flo...

No im not paying either, but the ''face of bjj'' knocked out in round 1 I think is funny, has he ever beaten any the renzo guys?

No im not paying either, but the ''face of bjj'' knocked out in round 1 I think is funny, has he ever beaten any the renzo guys?

THe face of bjj, did he actually say that. lol what a knob.
    He was a solid brown belt, but he's still a baby black belt. I think he's 0-4 against Renzo's guys.

• Advertisement

Craig Jones is an animal
    https://www.facebook.com/FloGrappling/videos/2024625147551219/

88kg semi's are immense
    [Keenan v Craig] v [Xande v Gordon]

Advertisement