Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

All the winners:

-66kg – Rubens Charles “Cobrinha “
    -77kg – JT Torres
    -88kg – Gordon Ryan
    -99kg – Yuri Simoes
    +99kg – Marcus Almeida “Buchecha”
    W-60kg – Beatriz Mesquita
    W+60kg – Gabrielle Garcia
    Absolute – Felipe Pena

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I don't like the ADCC rule (correct me if I'm wrong) where a takedown doesn't award points if it takes longer than 2/3 seconds to get your opponent down?

Some excellent performances from Gordon Ryan. I especially liked his sub on Cyborg. It looked to my uneducated eye that he baited one leg while setting up the other and then swapped and finished in the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Some excellent performances from Gordon Ryan. I especially liked his sub on Cyborg. It looked to my uneducated eye that he baited one leg while setting up the other and then swapped and finished in the blink of an eye.
    He started off attacking the right leg. But he switched to the left very early on.

https://streamable.com/n1faw

At 17 seconds he saddles the right leg. As soon as he does that, thats the leg being attacked. The rest was just getting the foot into position. I think Cyborg tapped so quickly because he knew he was bolloxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

dislocated my elbow friday night.......... no training for a month:mad:

dislocated my elbow friday night.......... no training for a month:mad:
    Im pretty sure I tore the medial ligament in my knee on Sunday. Just waiting on MRI results to confirm. Fairly sickening tbh.

Spent 60 mins rolling for heel hooks and in the last minute of the last roll I tear my knee passing guard. FML I thought I posted about it already but do t see it.

• Advertisement

I have a rather large V shape in my heel, just below my Achilles... I don't remember doing anything crazy, one of the lads ankle locked me. Wasn't sore that night but getting really sore now, especially when I drop my ankle below my toes off a stair. Anyone ever come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RoboRat wrote: »
    I have a rather large V shape in my heel, just below my Achilles... I don't remember doing anything crazy, one of the lads ankle locked me. Wasn't sore that night but getting really sore now, especially when I drop my ankle below my toes off a stair. Anyone ever come across this?

Can you post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Has anybody come across a location for videos of adcc '17?

Feel free to pm :D

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Can you post a picture?

Here you go!

RoboRat wrote: »
    Here you go!

That's fairly badly swollen. Is it still hurting when you raise your toes above your heal?

• Advertisement

It's sore when I drop my heel down, ie dips over the edge of a step. It's not massively painful bit then again I limped around for a week with a broken tibua, fibua and complete ACL tear before going to the doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Mellor wrote: »
    Im pretty sure I tore the medial ligament in my knee on Sunday. Just waiting on MRI results to confirm. Fairly sickening tbh.

Spent 60 mins rolling for heel hooks and in the last minute of the last roll I tear my knee passing guard. FML I thought I posted about it already but do t see it.

same here, decided to do one more round at the end of class and it was literally at the end of the round that it happened

Mario from SBG promoted to blackbelt by JK/Matt Thornton

Mario from SBG promoted to blackbelt by JK/Matt Thornton

He's opened his on club recently as well. Silverback BJJ.

Just noticed SBG is an acronym of SilverBack Gorilla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yay :)

haha i got mine too, absolutely love it. I was visiting my mam in hospital and one of the porters looked at it and was like "oh nice hoody...you do jiu jitsu??" which led to the two of us chatting about BJJ for about 20 minutes while i should have been visiting my mam!! :o (i blame you, Roborat..)

Finally made it back to training last night. Ive had asthma issues for months, my cardio is usually great but i was gassed so badly even during warmups. My chest is ****ed, and ive forgotten SO MUCH. Like i was practically at day one level again. Still felt good to be back. I also strained a muscle in my groin. Its all good. Its just Jiu Jitsu :D

I'm currently nursing a knee injury that I received when I was swept with this sweep (The "Assis Sweep", apparently) and my left knee twisted as I fell.

It's over a week later now and I still get sharp bursts of pain when I move my knee and probably have about 60% mobility in it. I can go down stairs with ease but raising it as well as twisting it still cause pain.

Can anyone recommend how I can prevent this injury re-occurring when I'm inevitably swept with this sweep again? Or was it just a once in a blue moon type of thing?

haha i got mine too, absolutely love it. I was visiting my mam in hospital and one of the porters looked at it and was like "oh nice hoody...you do jiu jitsu??" which led to the two of us chatting about BJJ for about 20 minutes while i should have been visiting my mam!! :o (i blame you, Roborat..)

Finally made it back to training last night. Ive had asthma issues for months, my cardio is usually great but i was gassed so badly even during warmups. My chest is ****ed, and ive forgotten SO MUCH. Like i was practically at day one level again. Still felt good to be back. I also strained a muscle in my groin. Its all good. Its just Jiu Jitsu :D

I'm out about six weeks now with a hand /wrist injury, plus had something on my foot, probably from rolling with some ****er who was in the toilet in their bare feet..

Anyway. What little cardio I had will have vanished when I head back hopefully later this week

We're all falling apart lads :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

We're all falling apart lads :pac:

This is what happens when you go north of 35 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Tazzimus wrote: »

Finally made it back to training last night. Ive had asthma issues for months, my cardio is usually great but i was gassed so badly even during warmups. My chest is ****ed, and ive forgotten SO MUCH. Like i was practically  at day one level again. Still felt good to be back. I also strained a muscle in my groin. Its all good. Its just Jiu Jitsu :D

I'm out about six weeks now with a hand /wrist injury, plus had something on my foot, probably from rolling with some ****er who was in the toilet in their bare feet..

Anyway. What little cardio I had will have vanished when I head back hopefully later this week
    Staph on the foot?

This is what happens when you go north of 35 :(
    Not all of us are north of 35 yet :P
    Staph on the foot?

Fairly sure it wasn't, from what I've seen of staph, I would have been a lot sicker.
    Was little blistery type things on the sole of one foot, all gone now thankfully.
    Fairly annoying when you are careful about wearing flip flops everywhere bar the mats and this still happens. I even have a different set just for the shower.

It sounds like Impetigo, and I should know, I have a Google Medical degree :pac:

https://www.healthline.com/health/impetigo#causes2

Impetigo is like Staph Lite, the same very similar. Feels kinda link of hot itchy bumps.
    If it went away on its own, without a visit to the doctor, it probably wasn't impetigo or staph imo.

I've never have staph but I had impetigo as a kid. Came back once since starting BJJ, in the exact some spot. Must be sustainable to it now, it was years later but I recognised the sensation right away. Antibiotic cream cleared it up in a few days.

Impetigo is like Staph Lite, the same very similar. Feels kinda link of hot itchy bumps.
    If it went away on its own, without a visit to the doctor, it probably wasn't impetigo or staph imo.

I've never have staph but I had impetigo as a kid. Came back once since starting BJJ, in the exact some spot. Must be sustainable to it now, it was years later but I recognised the sensation right away. Antibiotic cream cleared it up in a few days.
    Yeh there was no itch or anything really, so not sure what it was. Someone did mention impetigo to me as well.
    No doctor visit, just avoided the gym for a while, which I was doing anyway with my hand being gimped.

Joys of training with people who think it's fine to walk into the jacks barefoot I suppose...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm currently nursing a knee injury that I received when I was swept with this sweep (The "Assis Sweep", apparently) and my left knee twisted as I fell.

It's over a week later now and I still get sharp bursts of pain when I move my knee and probably have about 60% mobility in it. I can go down stairs with ease but raising it as well as twisting it still cause pain.

Can anyone recommend how I can prevent this injury re-occurring when I'm inevitably swept with this sweep again? Or was it just a once in a blue moon type of thing?

Can't comment on your knee specifically as I don't even play a Doctor on the internet, but on the general notion of preventing knee issues in BJJ:-

'Pre hab' for the knee is much the same as the re hab you'd do following a knee injury. A middling to high volume of unilateral lower body exercises like lunge variations, weighted step ups, skater squats, single leg box squats, single leg deadlifts, banded knee extensions etc.

I know there is a school of thought around balance boards and whatnot but the furtherest I buy into the idea of that stuff is the balance required in a single leg deadlift or bulgarian split squat.

If you have a a strong surrounding musculature then you can continue to play BJJ even with a bogey knee (although discretion is the better part of valour when it comes to playing some kinds of open guard etc).

Appreciate it, Sheep.

I think it's more strained then anything so I am hoping the break from training will heal it up, then the knee brace will give it that extra support in future. I am very aware, maybe even hyper-aware, of my knees when training. ACL/MCL/LCL are thrown around like sweets and I don't particularly want to damage mine for what is essentially, a hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

It shows how nonsensical the IBJJFs "reaping" rules are. Inward pressure, where the knee has range to naturally move thanks to the hip and some stability thanks to being forced under the centre of gravity is prohibited, but that sweep is okay.

It essentially involves hoping your partner's knee is strong enough that you can use their leg as a lever. As Black Sheep said, strengthening and balancing the supporting muscles is pretty much all you can do to reduce susceptibility to injury there.

• Advertisement

Not all of us are north of 35 yet

I agree

I'm North of 40 :-(

Advertisement