Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Don't be against taking a week off training altogether to recover if it's all getting on top of you.

Also be careful inverting yourself or getting yourself stacked by opponents if you're experiencing lower back pain.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Don't be against taking a week off training altogether to recover if it's all getting on top of you.

WASH OUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!! hahaha

I'll have two weeks off at christmas, be grand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

eeloe wrote: »
    WASH OUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!! hahaha

I'll have two weeks off at christmas, be grand! :)

Do you spend a lot of time on the computer? elbow problems often stem from the neck and upper back, which could be tight from a few hours at a desk.

I find that especially in beginners, injuries encounterd in training are often the culmination of bad postural stuff outside of the gym, of course excluding an actual accident, or trauma, and the usual wear and tear.

Sore lower back after training = could be tight hips
    sore elbows = could be scapula issue
    Sore neck = tight upper trap

Im not a physio or anything but just from my own experience :)

Youtube "egoscue elbow pain" and try some exercises

Chris89 wrote: »
    Do you spend a lot of time on the computer? elbow problems often stem from the neck and upper back, which could be tight from a few hours at a desk.

I find that especially in beginners, injuries encounterd in training are often the culmination of bad postural stuff outside of the gym, of course excluding an actual accident, or trauma, and the usual wear and tear.

Sore lower back after training = could be tight hips
    sore elbows = could be scapula issue
    Sore neck = tight upper trap

Im not a physio or anything but just from my own experience :)

Youtube "egoscue elbow pain" and try some exercises
    I do have incredibly tight hips, find it very difficult to squat down as low as I need to sometimes...

And yes, I spend a lot of time at a desk, so the elbow issue could be coming from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

darced wrote: »
    Make sure you are gripping properly. I still remember being shown how to grip correctly as a white belt and thinking to myself that seems like a far too detailed explanation on how to grip something and ignored the advice. After about a year of aching hands I learned how to do it properly.

What do you mean when you say gripping properly?

Just back from an hour+ class in Jorge Santos BJJ on Parnell St.

Way better than eating food for lunch :pac:

Great place and great people. Highly recommend!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Just back from an hour+ class in Jorge Santos BJJ on Parnell St.

Way better than eating food for lunch :pac:

Great place and great people. Highly recommend!

I was there, if it was the 12.15 class. I was one of the blue belts, in a white Scramble Athlete3 kimono and with a shaved head.

Glad you enjoyed the class, me too.

Come and say hello next time if you're there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

My advice: See a physio. I use "Personal Health" in Rathmines, Dublin.

Is the pain constant or only after training? If it's after training it sounds like you're obviously doing something to aggravate it (you've probably guessed that)

Normally, in an armbar for example, the damage is done as soon as the arm is straight, not when the pain starts. The pain comes afterwards, like... extra-damage being done.

Tap early and often and see if that helps to relieve anything.

The thumbs/fingers sounds like straining from gripping too tightly all the time. You only want to grip tightly when you've intent, otherwise you'll be constantly straining the tendons in the hand.

The lower back is definitely a common jiujitsu complaint. Argos sell a €12 foam roller. Buy it and use it to roll your back before and after every class.

Again, speak to a physio and they'll be able to really guide you in a diagnosis.

Took your advice and went to the doctor AND a physio.

My elbow pain, in my own stupidity, turns out to be tennis/golfers elbow, i completely forgot i suffered it years ago, and it never dawned on me that this is what it is. got some injections yesterday, and my arms seem to be a bit more free this morning, so i'll see how it is over the course of the day.

And according to the physio, every other niggling pain i'm having, is a result of hip impingement on the right side and some slight sciatic nerve problems in both legs, after an hour of torture(not really that bad, tough to get through) it turns out that i will be able to make progress on it, have some exercises to do twice daily for 2 weeks and go back and see the progress then on the 27th.

This morning was the first time i could get out of bed without feeling some lower back pain in about 4 years, so i've been having these issues for a LONG time, it just turns out BJJ has brought them to light!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

One of my teammates travels to train and compete a lot. At the moment he's over in the states training at Josh Barnett's gym. He's been there a two weeks. He posted a pic today, before he left Josh gave him a present, a brand new pair of wrestling boots - "so he won't look like a dweeb anymore".

Mellor wrote: »
    One of my teammates travels to train and compete a lot. At the moment he's over in the states training at Josh Barnett's gym. He's been there a two weeks. He posted a pic today, before he left Josh gave him a present, a brand new pair of wrestling boots - "so he won't look like a dweeb anymore".

I hope they match his Catch Wrestling speedos :pac:

I hope they match his Catch Wrestling speedos :pac:
    'Rassle Nappys

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

Just a heads up lads, our academy is hosting the great Dave Camarillo for a seminar on Saturday December 9th.

https://www.facebook.com/bjjdublin/

This is a rare chance to train with Dave as he rarely travels to Europe and I believe is his first seminar in Ireland.

Do you have a non facebook website link? It's blocked here in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

/\/\/\/\/\ Gi on No Gi stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

It's in the gi Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

Hey guys. Any good bjj gym near kilmainham in Dublin? I'm looking to break away from the gym as I find it so boring and I'm looking to learn some decent self defence. Always had the itch to try bjj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gijoseph wrote: »
    Hey guys. Any good bjj gym near kilmainham in Dublin? I'm looking to break away from the gym as I find it so boring and I'm looking to learn some decent self defence. Always had the itch to try bjj.

SBG HQ is a few stops away from James' on the luas. Right beside the Bluebell stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

SBG HQ is a few stops away from James' on the luas. Right beside the Bluebell stop.

I went in there this year, I was very apprehensive being 34 and not athletic and it's been an amazing road so far. I'm not getting as much BJJ as I'd like, the beginner classes are clashing with college but I've taken a shine to Muay Thai and the BJJ is great when I get to it

I went in there this year, I was very apprehensive being 34 and not athletic and it's been an amazing road so far. I'm not getting as much BJJ as I'd like, the beginner classes are clashing with college but I've taken a shine to Muay Thai and the BJJ is great when I get to it

Cheers jimmy I'm 31 myself. Are there many in a class? Is the membership high in cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Gijoseph wrote: »
    Cheers jimmy I'm 31 myself. Are there many in a class? Is the membership high in cost?

Some classes are packed and other might have 8 or so but there's always enough coach attention. You'll probably find cheaper but at beginner level you'll be hard pushed to find better than SBG IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I started at 30 and a belly/athletic as a sloth
    Now 32, still have the belly but getting there and have some form of athleticism now.

Injury kept me out for a while and now work is trying to do the same, hoping to get back to normal next week.

Muay Thai is good craic, especially Karl's class.

For BJJ, Jim's is great for fundamentals and Adam is good for a bridge between foundation and CAP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You'll probably find cheaper but at beginner level you'll be hard pushed to find better than SBG IMHO.

There are plenty in Dublin (maybe not directly in the City Centre) but ECJJ, Satori, Ryano, Jorge Santos and Royal Grappling Academy all have great reputation.

Will check out sbg cheers lads.

Does anyone have a timetable for sbg concorde?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Give them a call and they'll email it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Been sick now for over a month and unable to train. Can just about manage some lifting sessions but my chest is too ****ed to do any BJJ/Cardio. This **** sucks. Ill be lucky if im back at all before the new year id say. Dont think ive ever had chest problems this bad since i had asthma as a kid :(

• Advertisement

Been sick now for over a month and unable to train. Can just about manage some lifting sessions but my chest is too ****ed to do any BJJ/Cardio. This **** sucks. Ill be lucky if im back at all before the new year id say. Dont think ive ever had chest problems this bad since i had asthma as a kid :(

You need to become acquainted with Uncle Ryan and the padded room. Then you can come back to the mats and absolute killer. :pac:

s-l1600.jpg

Advertisement