Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

MagicIRL wrote: »
    You need to become acquainted with Uncle Ryan and the padded room. Then you can come back to the mats and absolute killer. :pac:

s-l1600.jpg

haha ive been meaning to take a look at his stuff. Watched a good video about framing which actually kinda blew my mind. I had always heard people talk about framing and pre-emptive framing, i thought i knew what it was until i watched the video and realized i was miles off the mark. Watching videos is about all i can do i guess, but my wife did ask me to show her an armbar so maybe ill do that tonight too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

So, tonight was.... Bollox to be honest.. I've been training inconsistenly lately and overall for about 2 years. We were doing mount escapes. A new guy, literally his first day, who outweighed me by a fair bit, sat on me, held me wrists and I could, not for the life of me, escape.

WTF? Irritated isnt the word.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Don’t let it get to you, i find it difficult to escape mount while drilling, especially with someone who’s new, they just seem to pin you down and they are delighted when you can’t move.

They don’t know any submissions or how to progress from there, so they just crush you thinking their doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Froshtbit wrote: »
    So, tonight was.... Bollox to be honest.. I've been training inconsistenly lately and overall for about 2 years. We were doing mount escapes. A new guy, literally his first day, who outweighed me by a fair bit, sat on me, held me wrists and I could, not for the life of me, escape.

How much is "a fair bit"?
    I think people underestimate how big a difference weight makes. I blame the gracie market spiel about "using an opponents weight against him" or "bjj was designed for smaller guys to beat bigger opponents" - neither is actually true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Drill this, it's my go to escape from full mount especially against larger opponents.

https://youtu.be/q2OAJF__P2w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

He was quite overweight whereas im underweight.Our height is the same

He was quite overweight whereas im underweight.Our height is the same

I've often heard it said that a belt rank is worth about 20-25lbs. While it's a bit of an over simplification, there's a lot of truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm one of those fat guys. Weigh 235lbs at the minute and I freely admit that my size currently is part of my game.

If I get top position even against a higher belt I can usually maintain it, especially if all I'm doing is holding position rather than actively trying to advance/submit.

It's just a fact of life. Some fat beggar on top of you is harder to move plus the sheer weight on your chest and abdomen makes you tire so much quicker. If the big guy has even basic common sense in terms of not getting swept it's an uphill struggle.

As Rampage Jackson once said, "That’s like having the moon sitting on you. How do you get the moon off you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ps I'm in the process of losing that fat. I was 247lbs a month ago.

180lbs is the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Usually worse if they have a rugby background, like a few of the bigger lads I've rolled with. Very good at keeping you pinned down and using their weight effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm one of those fat guys. Weigh 235lbs at the minute and I freely admit that my size currently is part of my game.

If I get top position even against a higher belt I can usually maintain it, especially if all I'm doing is holding position rather than actively trying to advance/submit.

It's just a fact of life. Some fat beggar on top of you is harder to move plus the sheer weight on your chest and abdomen makes you tire so much quicker. If the big guy has even basic common sense in terms of not getting swept it's an uphill struggle.

As Rampage Jackson once said, "That’s like having the moon sitting on you. How do you get the moon off you?"

When you roll with people of similar weight that doesn't work though. Focus on technique.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    When you roll with people of similar weight that doesn't work though. Focus on technique.
    The issue with that is, good technique often involves using your weight top. Not using your weight effectively is kinda bad technique. Sometimes you do have to hold back to even things up. But if you're a big white vrs a small purple belt, go for it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mellor wrote: »
    How much is "a fair bit"?
    I think people underestimate how big a difference weight makes. I blame the gracie market spiel about "using an opponents weight against him" or "bjj was designed for smaller guys to beat bigger opponents" - neither is actually true.

And I think those lines were stolen from Judo, and tbh it rarely works in real life. At least not until the player is very, very advanced.

'Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail'.

It happens to us all. I've often left training like I'd never stepped onto the tatami in my life.

But you've also answered a little of your own problem ~ lack of consistency, you really need to get consistent with training.

You might have to look at why you're not consistent, look honest and deep enough and you'll answer your own question.

EBI spoilers

Craig Jones. Absolutely the breakout star of 2017. Smashed the bracket and gave Gordon a really tough match. I don't know how Gordon didn't tap to that armbar. That will be sore tomorrow.
    Respect to Gordon too of course. Guy is tough AF, and looks unstoppable.

www.facebook.com/kitdale/videos/2106546072912727/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lads it could be worse.

First class back after my meniscus tear, go to the beginners class to ease myself in, and someone accidentally broke my hand.

No BJJ until 2018 at least for me.

Lads it could be worse.

First class back after my meniscus tear, go to the beginners class to ease myself in, and someone accidentally broke my hand.

How did they manage that :confused:

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How did they manage that :confused:

Warm up. Shoot double legs but don't take your opponent down. Try to touch their knees.

I shoot, he panics, punched me in the top of my hand as I was reaching around his legs. (:pac:). Bye bye metacarpal.

Finished the class thinking it was just a bang and a bit of swelling. Three days later the x-ray confirmed it as broken cleanly in two. 5th bone so the outside of my hand/baby finger side.

I shoot, he panics, punched me in the top of my hand as I was reaching around his legs. (:pac:). Bye bye metacarpal.

Ah here, I know you said it was a beginner class but that's pretty bad :pac:

Did you remind them it was a BJJ class and not MMA? :P
    I've done that drill, you're supposed to get out of the way, not break hands ha ha

• Advertisement

When I read this first I thought you were badly injured and out for a while.

Then I clicked 2018 is only around the corner.

So, Kevin Casey tags Eddie Bravo and challenges Gordon Ryan to a Combat Jiu Jitsu match.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcSuxHSBK2D/
    @eddiebravo10 Let’s get a feature combat match me VS @gordonlovesjiujitsu (KING vs KING). See how solid his Jits is for real ��. It’s all good till your getting slapped in the face. #oldschooljits. (Repost this s*** Folks) Death Sqaud Rite ?!? Lol

24332265_2013875058824072_8249854928269344768_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcV_7SUhaBm/
    @eddiebravo10 Let’s make it happen Big . Old school VS new school (King VS King) SUPER FIGHT the fans want to know. @gordonlovesjiujitsu promises TKO. I promise to serve the youngster some humble pie ��. It’s all about respect .

Gordon Accepts
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BcVwG8ghFY0/
    Who wants to see me tko Kevin Casey in combat jj? This match will be held at an ebi as a super fight the same day as tournament. He called me out. And I'm positive I'll tko him.

Then. Casey declines the match, because he didn't agree to the ruleset that he asked for (CJJ) :confused: And then asks for it to be MMA on Belator.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BclC-eOBgaK/

And it continues to get weirder. WTF is going on in Kevin Caseys head?
    Gordon calls him a clown and opens the match to others.

Caseys posts on IG (since deleted): "MATCH OR NO MATCH WILL SEE WHO THE CLOWN IS WHEN I SEE YOU FACE TO FACE #OLDSCHOOLHOMIE"

Gordon: "Not sure how this degenerated into a street fight ahah but whatever you say"

Tom Deblass: "what u gonna do when u see him face to face? I'll be with him this weekend at no gi worlds, I guess we will see you there."

This is the same Kevin Casey that gave the world this, right?

Also he promoted himself to blackbelt, iirc.

Also he promoted himself to blackbelt, iirc.
    Yeah. He was a brown Belt under Rickson. Won a big tournament and felt he deserved to be promoted so put on a black. Walked into the gym and Kron told him to get the fcuk out.
    He eventually put the brown back on went back. And earned it the right way. But it was years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

What is combat jiu-jitsu?

Jits with hits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Jits with hits :)

Like sambo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Like sambo?

Here, let Eddie Bravo explain it to you

https://youtu.be/_yG9uoAnQMc

Did anyone see the modified shoulder lock in the Fight To Win Pro 56?

Jesus that was insane.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2127125773967822&id=1123530280994048

• Advertisement

I seen that via Reddit. I was impressed he wasn't tapping to the Gogo. But what was going through his head once his foot was by his ear

Advertisement