Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2018 Jiu Jitsu Resolutions
    120+ training sessions
    12+ Competitions (trying to get interstate/international)
    Visit a new gym for open mat once per month

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My aims for this year:

*Train twice a week minimum
    *Stay injury free (big ones anyway)
    *Lose 50lbs
    *Finally enter my first competition
    *Get my blue belt at the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I think I missed a promo post. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I have simple goals. Given my injury run from Summer '17 onward I had to step back on everything jiujitsu related.

1. Do not tear/break anything.

2. Consistently train at least 3 times a week.

3. Compete at least once, in Gi and NoGi.

4. Start from standing.

5. Use my left side :eek:

6. Chase that purple belt.

(This all starts in Feb when the Doctor gives me the all clear on the hand though :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

MagicIRL wrote: »
    4. Start from standing.

I've been doing this more and more, we're being taught to disrespect the sit down start :D

First proper class back tonight in about 4 months now that my hand is back to normal, dreading and looking forward to it in equal amounts

Just session this after holidays. An hour of rolling. After the forth roll with minimum breaks I nearly got sick.
    It can only get easier

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

1. Avoid injuries (was doing well in 2017 until in the last open mat of the year I got a rib injury. Not sure specifically which kind. Got it checked in a perfunctory way by a friendly doctor but had same thing about a few years ago and there's no treatment, just pain relief and a waiting game.. Guessing 4 weeks off the mats or so).

2. Develop my bottom half guard and keep working on my half guard passing

3. Practice 1-2 takedowns until I actually have a go-to takedown even if it is still pretty crude stuff

4. Minimum 2 classes a week and keep lifting

5. Be more consistent in my performance, less highs and lows and more predictability would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

2018 BJJ Goals:-
    1. Get back on the mats once my shoulder finally heals.
    2. Stay injury-free for a year.
    3. Train consistently (see 2 above).

Lots more goals but to be honest I'd be very happy if I achieved the above (as would my long suffering coach!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

OK, my Bjj goals for the year,

1. Average 2 days a week training (can't do any more right now due to work)

2. Compete twice and take gold both times.

3. Work towards the blue belt (I've been training regularly for two years now so hopefully it comes at the end of this year or early next year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

• At least 120 training sessions
    • 5 seminars
    • Increase my flexibility although at 40 with 2 rebuilt knees, this is easier said than done
    • Increase my cardio, I have the tools but I don't have the energy sometimes and it leads to silly mistakes. When I am rested and have energy, I am a completely different animal to when I am going to training after getting up at 6.30am, working 9 hours, back home to clean up the house, put the kids to bed, get changed and then go training.
    • Linked to the above, to have a better diet so I have more energy, even if it's just on the days that I am training. I feel so spent during training sometimes and it's truly disheartening as I know I am technically a lot better but just too tired to execute what I should be doing.
    • Get my purple, was supposed to grade just before Christmas but I had the black death and couldn't make it :-(
    • Grow Wolfhound to be the 5th biggest BJJ brand in the world :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

BJJ goals.

1 compete regularly, have my first competition the end of the month
    2 attend more open mat sessions
    3 stay injury free, dislocated my elbow last year, defiantly don't want anything like that again
    4 get my blue belt

There's a Craig Jones seminar in SBG next month. I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested leg locks. Or Z-guard for that matter.

Where did you see that, Mellor?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Where did you see that, Mellor?
    He had it up on his instagram story. He's over in England for Polaris and in Ireland the following day.

Fights Jake Shields on Polaris which should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    He had it up on his instagram story. He's over in England for Polaris and in Ireland the following day.

Fights Jake Shields on Polaris which should be good.

Interesting style matchup. Craig going for legs in scrambles and Jake trying to use old school heavy top pressure sounds like a recipe for Jones to get a heel hook pretty easily but the fact that Shields trains so much with the DDS guys makes it more interesting because his leg lock awareness and defence should be pretty good.

Pretty much. Craig has a attacking style similar to the DDS. But Shields has to be pretty familiar with DDS entries and set ups.
    I'd say Craig by triangle from Z-guard or a scramble is a possibility too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I’m going back to bjj after a bit of a break. I’ve done a few classes before but not consistently so I want to make a proper go of it.

My gym has beginner classes although the schedule is a little inconvenient for me. The coach suggested I go twice a week for the first month so my body can get used to it. He also suggested a days rest/break between classes.

The problem is that they have beginner gi classes on Monday and Tuesday evenings. The other beginner gi classes are either first thing in the morning or at lunch time, and to be honest I think I’d be struggling to make the early morning classes. Lunchtime classes are an hour which is my full lunch break, not including getting there, getting changed and showered etc.

The have a beginner no-gi class on a Friday which might suit and would give me a few days rest, although part of me thinks I should stick to gi classes only at the start?

Any thoughts? I could just try to go Monday and Tuesday and brave it out till I’m more used to it but not sure. Or I could just do one beginner gi and one beginner no-gi each week, a few days apart.

What have others done when starting bjj? I’m 40 and not in good shape and my knees can hurt so want to avoid injury and overtraining etc.

veganrun wrote:
    Any thoughts? I could just try to go Monday and Tuesday and brave it out till I’m more used to it but not sure. Or I could just do one beginner gi and one beginner no-gi each week, a few days apart.

I'd advise doing Monday and Friday, it gives you a bit of a break between classes and it's nice to mix things up a bit between Gi and no-gi anyway. I'm 40, I've been training just over two years. Due to work and a smaller class schedule lately I've had to cut back to two classes a week, I find it a lot easier on the body and it's still often enough to make progress.

Find a different school?

• Advertisement

I could try another school but I like this place and the location is very good.

I just checked the schedule again and there is a beginner no-gi class also on a Wednesday evening so I guess I could go Mon/Wed or Mon/Fri.

They have classes in the mornings around 7am but I really don’t see myself making those.

I was wondering would going twice a week be enough to progress. I’d like to get a stripe or two on my white belt by the summer.

veganrun wrote:
    I was wondering would going twice a week be enough to progress. I’d like to get a stripe or two on my white belt by the summer.

It depends on the school/club and your natural ability. An out of shape 40 year old beginner that trains twice a week wouldn't have a hope of two stripes by the summer with us, you'd realistically be looking at your first stripe at some stage over the summer unless you really are a natural. You could do 4 classes a week with us and not have two stripes that quick.

veganrun wrote: »
    I could try another school but I like this place and the location is very good.

I just checked the schedule again and there is a beginner no-gi class also on a Wednesday evening so I guess I could go Mon/Wed or Mon/Fri.

They have classes in the mornings around 7am but I really don’t see myself making those.

I'd aim for Monday and Friday. I consider nogi to be a pretty key aspect of grappling tbh. Unless you focus is solely competition gi only (and not why anyone would) there's no reason to skip nogi.

Plus, aiming for Monday+Friday means that if you miss Monday. You can still catch Wednesday and Friday. I always have the intention of training on monday, but when monday morning comes and I couldn't be bother bringing my gear to work.

As for stripes. At 2 sessions a week blue will take about 2.5 years. So that's 1 stripe every 6 months. But don't pay much attention to stripes imo. There don't really mean anything and vary a lot club to club. Some clubs they are purely time based.

I'd do Monday and Friday, a lot of the nogi stuff carries over to the gi and realistically in the beginning you are going to be focusing on movement and not getting subbed in the beginning.

Don't start focusing on stripes and promotions, there is no point and you will end up enjoying yourself a lot more if you don't.

Training Monday and Tuesday beginners classes won't have you close to over-training or anything close to it.

You'll be sore the next day for sure while your body adjusts but you'll adapt quicker than you think.

As for gi and no-gi. Just train whatever it is on the day you're down in the gym. It really does not make a lick of difference at the beginner level anyway. Just have fun with it all, fight pyjamas or not.

I was always a bit confused as to whether gi or no-gi was better for a beginner, or a mixture of both.

I was always a bit confused as to whether gi or no-gi was better for a beginner, or a mixture of both.
    Neither is more beginner/advanced imo.
    Do which ever suits your goals. If your goals are to get god at both, then do both.

It's like saying which is better to cycle, a racer or mountain bike. You wont know which you prefer until you try them both and training in both will always improve your ability to cycle anyhow.

Personally I slightly prefer nogi, I think it flows better but at a higher level, the difference starts becoming more pronounced... this may be my wife projecting through me as she hates washing the gi's

RoboRat wrote: »
    It's like saying which is better to cycle, a racer or mountain bike. You wont know which you prefer until you try them both and training in both will always improve your ability to cycle anyhow.

Personally I slightly prefer nogi, I think it flows better but at a higher level, the difference starts becoming more pronounced... this may be my wife projecting through me as she hates washing the gi's

I tell myself I like them both equally. But in the last year, I've almost twice as much nogi time. That's partially the timetable though.

• Advertisement

Roger Gracie Seminar in Athlone on Feburary 21st.

I'll be having a birrah that.

Advertisement