Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I get to go back to training for the first time tonight in about 3 months.

I am beyond excited. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »
    There's a Craig Jones seminar in SBG next month. I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested leg locks. Or Z-guard for that matter.

Details

https://www.facebook.com/events/386955568415639/?ti=icl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just in case anyone is interested, the new range is live :-)
    Any feedback is always appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Roger Gracie Seminar in Athlone on Feburary 21st.

I'll be having a birrah that.

And here's a link to the Facebook event and details about the Roger Gracie Seminar in Athlone on a few weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/events/202418103645512/?ti=as

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

RoboRat wrote: »
    Celt 2.0 is nice
    Rashguards are cool too, any short sleeve versions appearing soon ish?

• Advertisement

Cú gi in Navy is absolutely savage! Shame it's out of stock. :(

Like the rashguard too, but not a fan of the ogham stone writing down the middle of the stomach area.

I like your casual wear too. You've avoided that cheesy style you see a lot of jiujitsu brands use where everything is some hiiiilarious pun.

MagicIRL wrote: »

Like the rashguard too, but not a fan of the ogham stone writing down the middle of the stomach area.

I like your casual wear too. You've avoided that cheesy style you see a lot of jiujitsu brands use where everything is some hiiiilarious pun.

The Cú is in stock, we just haven't got it over to the warehouse, should be live in a few days. It's my personal fav.

We do have a few puns in the tees, nothing too cheesy though :-) The thumbs up for armbar's is probably the cheesiest... but it's subtle.

Sweet. I'll be picking one of the white Gi's.
    I originally was going for the Puca, but I think the Gaiscioch is swinging me now

And here was me thinking I'd be saving a few quid this month..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It's like saying which is better to cycle, a racer or mountain bike. You wont know which you prefer until you try them both and training in both will always improve your ability to cycle anyhow.

Personally I slightly prefer nogi, I think it flows better but at a higher level, the difference starts becoming more pronounced... this may be my wife projecting through me as she hates washing the gi's

That's brilliant, a gi manufacturer prefers nogi! :D

• Advertisement

We sell Nogi stuff too :-)

In fairness, it's probably more down to the fact that my wife hates washing my gear so it easier to go nogi!

Sometimes Rafa makes me feel like giving up jiu jitsu.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be62ZC5FJrN/

Sometimes Rafa makes me feel like giving up jiu jitsu.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be62ZC5FJrN/

Whilst I think they are immensely skilled, I am just not into this kind of BJJ. I guess it's kind of similar to how I think the likes of Alonso/ Keane/ Zidane are better footballers than the likes of Ronaldo. I prefer a functional and simplistic approach over fancy schmancy stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Whilst I think they are immensely skilled, I am just not into this kind of BJJ. I guess it's kind of similar to how I think the likes of Alonso/ Keane/ Zidane are better footballers than the likes of Ronaldo. I prefer a functional and simplistic approach over fancy schmancy stuff.

I like to watch it in passing, but I agree that it is ultimately not my thing.

Don't get me wrong. It's not something I try to replicate, I don't think it's for me. But I can't helped but be slightly impressed and depressed at the stuff he pulls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

You'd think they would have splashed out for a model.
    What's with the ugly ass OAP's?

I think it's hard to argue that it's not functional given his competition record :D

We've lads in the gym that play that DLR, RDLR, Berimbolo style game and it's incredibly effective but I always feel like I have a chance to get out and start my own game.

When someone hits you with that unrelenting miserable top pressure type of thing - good luck.

That's what I want. That unrelenting pressure type of a game. It doesn't help that I absolutely suck at it though. :pac:

It's functional for ibjjf tournaments, it's not really world applicable.
    Try it in MMA and you're going to get ****ed up 9 times out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

To quote Renzo, "take that spinning **** and shove it up your ass!!" lol

Love the new range btw, and i also only just now got the pun with the thumbs up armbar t-shirt :D Thats good..thats damn good lol. Might treat myself to something from the new line if i EVER make it back to training. Going on 4 months now and my chest is still bollixied. I was able to do 10 minutes light on a treadmill last week tho so maybe i can get back to training soon.

I think it's hard to argue that it's not functional given his competition record :D

I think he could play any guard he wanted and have success with it. Even stuff that doesn't work.

• Advertisement

Polaris previews (similar to embedded) have started.

Jake Shields casually mentions beating Woodley in MMA.
    Really looking forward to Shields v Craig Jones. Shields fought Kit Dale last weekend, I didn't see it but apparently there was some popping when Kit attacked a toehold at the end. Shields lasted to the bell and got the ref's decision. I'd imagine that ankle is a big target now for Craig.

We've lads in the gym that play that DLR, RDLR, Berimbolo style game and it's incredibly effective but I always feel like I have a chance to get out and start my own game.

When someone hits you with that unrelenting miserable top pressure type of thing - good luck.

That's what I want. That unrelenting pressure type of a game. It doesn't help that I absolutely suck at it though. :pac:

I agree that for some it will work, but it's something I feel is suited to a much higher level of experience such as brown or BB where you have all the other tools to fall back on if it fails. I see blue belts doing it and it doesn't work. There is nothing wrong with the fundamentals of DLR, RDLR or X Guard, I use them a lot as I like a half guard/ deep half guard and I also mix a bit of 10th planet in with that, but I use the functional aspects of it it to suit my game.

Walk before you run, learn the basics and learn them well and then explore that.
    Love the new range btw, and i also only just now got the pun with the thumbs up armbar t-shirt Thats good..thats damn good lol. Might treat myself to something from the new line if i EVER make it back to training. Going on 4 months now and my chest is still bollixied. I was able to do 10 minutes light on a treadmill last week tho so maybe i can get back to training soon.

Yeah it's subtle like the 'Neon' Knee on belly, just wanted to keep the new range subtle. Thanks for the 'thumbs up' :-)

Yeah it's subtle like the 'Neon' Knee on belly, just wanted to keep the new range subtle. Thanks for the 'thumbs up' :-)

Never even twigged that, nicely done :)

Have a competition tomorrow. First one in ages.
    Checked out the brackets, guaranteed 8 matches. Gonna be wrecked.
    One of my opponent is called Nathan Diaz.

Have a competition tomorrow. First one in ages.
    Checked out the brackets, guaranteed 8 matches. Gonna be wrecked.
    One of my opponent is called Nathan Diaz.

Fecking Sandbaggers.

Fecking Sandbaggers.

Nam Phan is on the other side of the bracket. Bastards

Nam Phan is on the other side of the bracket. Bastards

The lengths some lads will go to get a podium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Finally went back to bjj last night by going to the club’s beginner no-gi class. It was quite hard going, mostly from a fitness perspective. The guy I was rolling with was patient and kept pushing me to keep going which was good but I was blown up a few times. We did 3 minute rounds at the end and I was getting so tired I just wanted them to be over.

Wish I had wore my knee pads too.

I cycle a bit but I’m still about 35kg overweight and unfit and it really showed last night. Are there exercises I can do away from the gym that would improve my fitness for bjj?

veganrun wrote: »
    I cycle a bit but I’m still about 35kg overweight and unfit and it really showed last night. Are there exercises I can do away from the gym that would improve my fitness for bjj?

Generally improving fitness will help, as will losing the weight.
    If you are doing cardio, go harder for a shorter period. 2-5minutes work, rest half as long, go again.
    Roll more. There's no such think as a cardio system for BJJ. But rolling more with get your body used to the required intensity and also movement becomes more efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

How do you guys deal with mat burns at the start? I get them on the tops of my toes at the knuckle bit and last night on my knees. I typically put compeed plasters on them to let them heal and not rub against my clothing but what do I do about training? Just keep the plasters on and put tape over them or something?

Advertisement