Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They'll toughen up with time, mat burns are a bastard though.

What is it you're doing specifically that's causing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Well last night it was turtle stuff so a lot of time on my knees and sliding around. I hadn't been in months so I guess the skin doesn't get time to harden up as I've had huge gaps between classes.

I've put some compeed plasters on the burns so hopefully they will heal up. Due to some plans I will only be able to go to one class next week. Just as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did I hear right that Chris Leddy got his black belt yesterday?

Big congrats if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did I hear right that Chris Leddy got his black belt yesterday?

Big congrats if so.

Yes it seems.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfTqaeqABsR/?igref=ogexp&utm_source=fb_www_attr

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Polaris spoilers

Craig Jones is a beast. Taps shields pretty quickly with a heelhook.
    To put that into context. The last person to tap Shields was Marcelo in 2006. And he has fought some big names over the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Drumsnotdead

veganrun wrote: »
    How do you guys deal with mat burns at the start? I get them on the tops of my toes at the knuckle bit and last night on my knees. I typically put compeed plasters on them to let them heal and not rub against my clothing but what do I do about training? Just keep the plasters on and put tape over them or something?

Rest is really the only cure.

Few good tips for dealing with it here:
    http://breakinggrips.com/mat-burn/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Craig Jones is the man. Super seminar in SBG. Highly recommend you train with him if he's ever in a gym near you.

He even went over how he finished Jake Shields. Spoiler: Black magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Rest is really the only cure.

Few good tips for dealing with it here:
    http://breakinggrips.com/mat-burn/

I have a broken baby toe for a couple of weeks and I keep aggravating it when rolling so I got these - you could probably use them for mat burn on your toes: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Authentic-RDX-Training-Boxing-Guards/dp/B00B0C3C3E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519056025&sr=8-2&keywords=grappling+socks

I will let you know how I get on with them tomorrow :-)

Edited to say, to toughen up the skin soak it in warm salty water or rub meth spirits into them. It will toughen the skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

RoboRat wrote: »

Edited to say, to toughen up the skin soak it in warm salty water or rub meth spirits into them. It will toughen the skin

Or take the Joe Joyce approach. Soak them in diesel for an hour every day. They'll be like concrete and leave any man's face like a butchers block.

Apparently.

Or take the Joe Joyce approach. Soak them in diesel for an hour every day. They'll be like concrete and leave any man's face like a butchers block.

Apparently.

Well, big Joe always talks the truth so enough said.

• Advertisement

Funny enough I was just wondering are there some sort of bjj socks. Might get a pair.

I'm just letting them heal up with a bit of rest. The knees seem to be getting better but the mat burns on the toes are taking a bit longer. Don't think Dr Martens boots helped yesterday!

Are those genuine methods for hardening up the skin? Except the diesel method!

Btw what size of feet are you and what size of socks did you get? Just read the reviews and there's some conflicting info about sizes. I'm usually around a size 9 in footwear.

Funny enough I was just wondering are there some sort of bjj socks. Might get a pair.

I'm just letting them heal up with a bit of rest. The knees seem to be getting better but the mat burns on the toes are taking a bit longer. Don't think Dr Martens boots helped yesterday!

Are those genuine methods for hardening up the skin? Except the diesel method!
    The alcohol swabs are yeh. Same trick that you can use for your fingers if you're learning guitar and your fingers are being wrecked from the strings.

A spoon of cement also helps though :pac:

Never heard of that. Where can you get those swabs? What type are they?

Never heard of that. Where can you get those swabs? What type are they?
    Chemist usually. They're used for cleaning wounds or new piercings mainly, which is how I got acquainted with them :)

Cool. I got some wound cleaning wipes but they might be different.

Gave them a test run last night, they are quite good, perhaps a bit too sticky initially but I am sure they will lose some of that. I wont be doing much on the takedown front until that happens as I would be worried about anchoring my foot and blowing my knee again! I got the medium and I am size 9 and they fit very well.

Meth spirits or rubbing alcohol is excellent for hardening the soles of your feet, used it many times back in my football days. Just ask the chemist for methylated spirits. Here is a link to buy some: http://bomar.ie/product/rubbing-alcohol-70-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is it common for people to artificially harden their feet for jiujitsu?

Mine naturally adapted over time. Probably a few weeks or so. I do notice they'll cut or burn easily when I return from injury but they toughen up again in no time.

Couldn't imagine spending money on something to speed that process up though.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is it common for people to artificially harden their feet for jiujitsu?

Mine naturally adapted over time. Probably a few weeks or so. I do notice they'll cut or burn easily when I return from injury but they toughen up again in no time.

Couldn't imagine spending money on something to speed that process up though.

Personally, I didn't. I wear the grappling socks because I have a broken baby toe and I keep catching it when I am rolling and it's extremely painful!

Sensible people would stay to stop rolling and let it heal.

Then again, I kept rolling with a gimped hand/wrist for 3 months before deciding I should probably let it heal, so I would not be in the sensible people bracket :)

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Sensible people would stay to stop rolling and let it heal.

Then again, I kept rolling with a gimped hand/wrist for 3 months before deciding I should probably let it heal, so I would not be in the sensible people bracket :)

In also have tendentious in my rotator cuff that has been paining me for ages. I am definitely not sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Since when do any of us who like getting our pyjamas on and cheerfully throttling each other, class as sensible people?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Came home tonight, knew there was a parcel waiting for me. Had an idea what it was confirmed when my missus burst in wearing my new wolfhound Gi.

5 years of JiuJitsu and just got my first white gi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Has anyone here bought any Sambo shoes ? Or failing that some wrestling shoes? Anywhere physically in Dublin selling them - would rather try them on then buy some of the internet and find out they don't fit.

Well the first of my 2018 goals was achieved on Saturday when I received my purple belt. Absolutely chuffed :-) Only taken me near on 7 years but I was out for the most of one year with a torn ACL and subsequent operation to rebuild it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

I wasn't looking for it so I was quite surprised. My coach had said that he was thinking of putting me forward before Christmas and I said it was up to him, I wasn't looking for it; I ended up missing that grading due to illness and have only come back recently as I have been quite sick with prostatitis, so it was a massive surprise.

I kind of don't feel like I am there but at the same time, I do think I have the knowledge.

Congrats chief :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Congrats Roborat!

Where do you train btw? I hope you make them all buy their gi from you, lol.

Advertisement