Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Congrats Robo!

I also hit the first part of my 2018 plan - I competed on the weekend in the gi. Didn't go my way but it was good fun. Hope to get another no-gi (and maybe even another gi :D) event in before the end of the year to stick to my plan. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Has anyone here bought any Sambo shoes ? Or failing that some wrestling shoes? Anywhere physically in Dublin selling them - would rather try them on then buy some of the internet and find out they don't fit.
    I have wrestling boots. Find them great for wrestling. They do make it harder to escape footlocks in BJJ though.
    RoboRat wrote: »
    I wasn't looking for it so I was quite surprised. My coach had said that he was thinking of putting me forward before Christmas and I said it was up to him, I wasn't looking for it; I ended up missing that grading due to illness and have only come back recently as I have been quite sick with prostatitis, so it was a massive surprise.

I kind of don't feel like I am there but at the same time, I do think I have the knowledge.

Congrats man. I think it really hard to feel like you're at the level for the next belt. Especially when the guys you are comparing to are the mid-way (or more) on the way to brown belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Thanks for the comments guys, brought firmly back to earth last night - there was a very large target on my back :-P
    Where do you train btw? I hope you make them all buy their gi from you, lol.

Not at all, most buy them but I have no issues if they don't, we are flying since the new launch anyhow, have to reorder already!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I guess maybe this is a question for the "heavyweights" here :). But when starting jiu-jitsu did you ever feel embarrassed about being out of shape? I've had a few classes over the past several months but my last class was the first no-gi I went to and I felt so unfit and out of shape, it was embarrassing. I'm not making this up, I'm 5ft 10 and around the 106kg mark. I remember several times during the class feeling stupid and people thinking "look at the state of him". I'm guessing in reality they were probably not thinking that but I was more annoyed with myself.

The coach told me if I train bjj twice a week to begin with my fitness will improve quickly and I guess he's probably right. I guess it's just frustrating and off-putting, especially at the moment.

Anyone else here been through something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm 5'11 and currently about 110kg.

A few years ago I was 120kg but through serious diet and exercise got down to 85kg.

BJJ is a hell of a tool for getting in shape. After a rough 2017 I'm not long back to regular training and there's no doubt that even after a few weeks of consistent sessions you will feel your fitness improving.

You'll also find that you gain some determination to work on your diet too because you don't want to be knackered in the gym.

My current goal is to get below 100kg by May and then enter the Irish Open as a super HW rather than an ultra HW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It can be a bit of a problem alright, especially when most of the gym look to be in great shape.
    I'm 6'1 and about 98kg at the mo, was down to 90 at one point but injury and lack of training, plus Christmas, bumped me back up.
    That 90 was without much of a diet plan so I could probably get down to 80 easy enough if I diet proper and get regular sessions going.

Plan is to be under 90 by Chrimbo, work is doing it's best to stop me getting down regular enough though.

Consistency is definitely the key as once you get into the routine of it, you can start pushing yourself a bit more.
    Also, I found hanging around after the classes and rolling with a few of the lads to be quite helpful.

Do you guys ever worry about getting a serious injury? One of the coaches a while back blew out his knee with a botched takedown. Thankfully a few weeks rest and he was fine but he needed crutches for a while. I think that's one thing that bothers me sometimes, like the thought of popping a rib, spraining something. I know you could get hurt getting out of the bath but the chances seen a lot lower compared to bjj. At least in my mind!

I ****ed up my hand for a few months in that I couldn't make a fist or hold anything heavy.

Injuries will happen as you can't always control how your fellow gym peoples will behave or react to something, just pray that they're only small bumps and nothing major

I was around 120kg when I started bjj, down to around 98kg now. I'm 6 foot but very stocky so i could get away to a degree. Still trying to get down to around 14 stone. There is a guy who started with us around 3 years ago and has lost over 3 stone, he also got his blue before Christmas. Nobody is looking at you, that's in your head. A lot of what you get shown won't suit your game either, this all comes in time but you have to persevere.
    In regards to injuries, they happen. I tore my acl and was out for a year. Currently nursing a broken toe and tendonitis in my rotator cuff. Injuries happen anyhow, I knew a guy who played rugby his entire life with no major injuries. Hung up the boots and 3 months later when out running, jumped over a puddle and smashed his knee, had to get it replaced. Just train smart and tap early.

I always tap early and try to be careful and smart, I just hope that is enough!

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    My current goal is to get below 100kg by May and then enter the Irish Open as a super HW rather than an ultra HW.

I think that's a good move. I think anyone up to 110kg should be looking at the SHW rather than the UHW. Or else you'll be running into guys with 20kg plus on you.
    veganrun wrote: »
    Do you guys ever worry about getting a serious injury? One of the coaches a while back blew out his knee with a botched takedown. Thankfully a few weeks rest and he was fine but he needed crutches for a while. I think that's one thing that bothers me sometimes, like the thought of popping a rib, spraining something. I know you could get hurt getting out of the bath but the chances seen a lot lower compared to bjj. At least in my mind!

I torn my MCL in september. But, I was more annoyed that this meant a few months off training rather than being concerned about long term implications.
    First comp back last week and didn't tap to a footlock. Ankle popped. So probably a sprain/mild tear. Can still train so that doesn't bother me

You'll probably also learn to be a bit stubborn after a while.

I forgot I was rolling on Tuesday and fought out of a heel hook attempt, ended up doing something to me knee and couldn't put weight on it at all the next day, thankfully I was snowed in so didn't have to go anywhere. Only mostly back to normal now.

Most of us will still train with small injuries, we're smart like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

You clearly worry and think a lot. This can be a great thing and a bad thing. Stop worrying about the things you can control and worry about what you can. Actually, worry is a bad word - work on that which you can control.
    I was 120kgs, 5"11" when I started. No one is looking at you, judging you or casting mental aspersions at you other than you - this is a product of an anxious mind and will go with time, but also with you countering that anxious voice in your head with a logical one. People are there to work, same as you. They don't worry about you or how you look on the level you fear, ever.
    Just keep it up, you're already doing great to still be at it. As you get better and more body aware, you'll minimise the risk of injury, but you'll never completely cut it out. But recovering well will help here too - rest, sleep, diet etc. Small changes to your dietary mindset and you'll keep dropping the weight.

Just don't ever let those anxious, negative thoughts slink into your head and take hold, they aren't your friend! ;-)

Richy06 wrote: »
    You clearly worry and think a lot. This can be a great thing and a bad thing. Stop worrying about the things you can control and worry about what you can. Actually, worry is a bad word - work on that which you can control.
    I was 120kgs, 5"11" when I started. No one is looking at you, judging you or casting mental aspersions at you other than you - this is a product of an anxious mind and will go with time, but also with you countering that anxious voice in your head with a logical one. People are there to work, same as you. They don't worry about you or how you look on the level you fear, ever.
    Just keep it up, you're already doing great to still be at it. As you get better and more body aware, you'll minimise the risk of injury, but you'll never completely cut it out. But recovering well will help here too - rest, sleep, diet etc. Small changes to your dietary mindset and you'll keep dropping the weight.

Just don't ever let those anxious, negative thoughts slink into your head and take hold, they aren't your friend! ;-)

Spot on Richy, if you spend your time worrying, you miss out on the fun aspects of life. Life is for living, not procrastinating or thinking about what may happen.

Accidents and injuries happen in any sport but like any sport, the more you do BJJ, the more aware you become of potential situations. You start to notice the small nuances in movement that are the precursor to a specific submission attempt. You also learn how to defend submissions and more importantly when you have been caught, you know to tap early because through experience, you understand the percentages of escaping.

You will also find that when rolling with higher levels, submissions are applied with control unlike at the beginner stage when it's a complete mess of limbs flailing all over the place. It's controlled and this control is both good and bad... good because it's not uncontrolled and you have the chance to tap, bad because once they are applied, your chances of escaping are significantly lower than rolling with lower ranks.

Don't worry about your weight, use it to your advantage whilst you try to lose it. If you get hooked on this sport, you will lose weight so don't rely on your weight and become one dimensional. Experiment, try new things and find what works for you. You may try something and 2 years later it clicks and you go back and look at it again and it becomes integral to your game.

The journey is more important than the destination, enjoy the journey :-)

Thanks for the replies. I do struggle with worry and stuff in general so it can be hard to block the things out.

On a slightly separate note (but also now a new concern) how do you guys wash your gear to kill bacteria? Our club has said to wash gear in antibacterial washing up liquid. I thought it was enough to just wash the gear in the washing machine with regular washing powder?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Thanks for the replies. I do struggle with worry and stuff in general so it can be hard to block the things out.

On a slightly separate note (but also now a new concern) how do you guys wash your gear to kill bacteria? Our club has said to wash gear in antibacterial washing up liquid. I thought it was enough to just wash the gear in the washing machine with regular washing powder?!

I was my gi and rashguards etc after every class with regular fabric stuff on a low temp and hang dry it to avoid shrinking.

I was my belt often, too.

Never heard of having to use specific antibacterial detergent to be honest.

I also haven't heard of having to wash in specific detergent.

Fairy does the job for mine. No fabric softener though, makes the lapels too easy to grab :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I wash mine in the tears of my opponents.

By anti bacterial washing up liquid, are you talking about what you use for dishes? Be careful what you wash your gi with, anything with bleach can damage the fibers.

I think I might have misunderstood, they meant just adding some into the normal wash it seems.

I'm going to pick up some of that Dettol stuff this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 st0nk

Hi,

Any place to train BJJ near Harold Cross-Rathmines? No car... just walking.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

st0nk wrote: »
    Hi,

Any place to train BJJ near Harold Cross-Rathmines? No car... just walking.

Thanks

Gracie Bara - Dundrum
    Jorge Santos - Parnell Street
    SBG - Navan Road.

Not walking distance but accessible by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

There's also Wild Geese BJJ just next to Pearse Street Dart station.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 st0nk

Is kamikaze fight academy any good?

Any ideas for building fitness while off the mats? Unfortunately I've picked up a fungal infection somewhere it seems so I'm staying off the mats till it's cleared up.

I'm not particularly fit or in shape as is so I guess it's a good time to work on fitness without the aches and pains of bjj.

Running, rowing or assault bike would be my go to exercises for cardio/fitness.
    Can't beat strength training either.

Mellor wrote: »
    assault bike

??
    street_hawk.jpg

DrPhilG wrote: »
    ??
    street_hawk.jpg

No idea who that is.
    But this is an assault bike. Sometimes called airdyne
    https://www.kingsbox.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/airbike-assault-airbike-usato-in-roma-throwdown-2017-1_1024x1024.jpg

Mellor wrote: »

Street Hawk was kinda the motorbike equivalent of AirWolf. Classic 80s TV.

• Advertisement

Rowing, kettlebells, ZUU/HIIT are all great cardio and would also help towards BJJ goals.

Advertisement