Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Don't think I've ever heard of ZUU.

I'm planning to start running again. I like to cycle as well but the weather has been so bad I've only been cycling to work and that's it which is less than 4 miles a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mellor wrote: »
    Running, rowing or assault bike would be my go to exercises for cardio/fitness.
    Can't beat strength training either.

Going into the mountains on a road bike is the job. The plus side is being able to enjoy the scenery, I've not been in the gym much this year due to college and work being hectic, went back this week and the fitness hadn't fallen off and I have to thank the bike for that. Hardship in the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Posted this over on MMA forum, but figure it deserves a mention here too. Hail Mary triangle from the weekends UFC.

https://cdnja.b-cdn.net/mp4/65/651.mp4

Found out about a new jiu jitsu place near the work.
    Called in for open mat today at lunch. Nobody there except the head coach. So I got gifted a 45 min roll with a 3rd degree black belt.
    Lots of tapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Found out about a new jiu jitsu place near the work.
    Called in for open mat today at lunch. Nobody there except the head coach. So I got gifted a 45 min roll with a 3rd degree black belt.
    Lots of tapping.

Lots of learning too I'd imagine?
    Was he a good instructor?

• Advertisement

Lots of learning too I'd imagine?
    Was he a good instructor?
    It was mostly free rolling. But between rounds he gave me some good tips and adjustments.
    I aim to visit a new gym every month. So I've rolling with a few Blackbelts recently. This guy stands out the best to roll with. Two of the others were equally as good, but I felt the round was just them constantly crushing me to show me how good they were. Today's rolls involved me actually passing guard, time to escape etc. Even snuck a triangle on at one point (obviously he escaped).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Sound sweet, wish there was something like that near me where I could do some lunchtime rolls (not the bread type). There is an SBG but they don't seem to do PAYG and I'm not paying full membership... just want somewhere to roll at lunch!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

RoboRat wrote: »
    Sound sweet, wish there was something like that near me where I could do some lunchtime rolls (not the bread type). There is an SBG but they don't seem to do PAYG and I'm not paying full membership... just want somewhere to roll at lunch!!!

Where do you live?

1215 class at JSBJJ Monday to Friday. It's a short enough class, but even with a couple of techniques still got 4 rolls in at the end.

I'm pretty sure you could pay a drop in fee, visitors around constantly.

I'm not in Dublin, closest is SGB Portarlington and the don't have a drop in rate :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm not in Dublin, closest is SGB Portarlington and the don't have a drop in rate :-(

Surely if you messaged them they'd accommodate you and even organise a rate for you for four or five classes a month?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Surely if you messaged them they'd accommodate you and even organise a rate for you for four or five classes a month?

When I dropped into SBG a day pass was €20. A bit much for regular rolling.

Yea that's steep, especially if your not going to be on the mat for more than an hour at lunchtime.

I did several times on Facebook and through their website... never received a response so I assume they're not interested. I work with a GB Brown belt so could have had some good training sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Anyone know where to get a belt embroidered? Want to get a friends name put on a belt for a present.

I did several times on Facebook and through their website... never received a response so I assume they're not interested. I work with a GB Brown belt so could have had some good training sessions.

Does your work place have an unused room? If so ask can you use it for training :pac:

Yea that's steep, especially if your not going to be on the mat for more than an hour at lunchtime.

The gym I was at on Wednesday didn't charge me. Im going back today.
    I imagine the free ride will stop and happy to go with a casual rate. But I'm not sure if it's an option as the basic membership was $40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The justification in SBG HQ is you get access to their facilities all day, including the gym, even if you don't want it or have no intention of using the gym.

It's bollo though to be honest.

The justification in SBG HQ is you get access to their facilities all day, including the gym, even if you don't want it or have no intention of using the gym.

If you are training seriously and do 2-3 sessions a day it's not bad imo. But it's not really a viable option for random sessions.
    I'm in Dublin once every 24 months or so. 20 quid is pennys compared to travel costs :pac:

I have no issue with a gym setting their own prices, if they feel that €20 for a day pass is what they are worth, then they have every right to charge that. As already stated, €20 for unlimited use for a day is actually good value if you make use of it, but if I was only using it for an hours rolling then I would feel it's excessive... that's my problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

So after a few weeks since starting my bjj classes I am really enjoying it so far. I now feel I should get myself a gi.

Google shows me endless possibilities and price ranges and I have no idea what to get. I don't want to buy something I don't need at my level but don't want crap either. My club sells their own gi but upwards of 150. I'll get one of those down the line.

Can anyone recommend a decent one at a reasonable price that will fulfilling my needs?

• Advertisement

batman1 wrote: »
    So after a few weeks since starting my bjj classes I am really enjoying it so far. I now feel I should get myself a gi.

Google shows me endless possibilities and price ranges and I have no idea what to get. I don't want to buy something I don't need at my level but don't want crap either. My club sells their own gi but upwards of 150. I'll get one of those down the line.

Can anyone recommend a decent one at a reasonable price that will fulfilling my needs?

Look at Wolfhound.

https://www.wolfhoundfightwear.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

batman1 wrote: »

The guy posting before you is the man in the know, Roborat

PS, prepare to want more than 1 after a while...

I know a guy....

I co-own www.wolfhoundfightwear.com :-)

We also have a 10% boards discount, use the code 'boardsbjjnutters'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

RoboRat wrote:
    We also have a 10% boards discount, use the code 'boardsbjjnutters'

I didn't know about the discount, I just popped on did some shopping there, I love the new stuff.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I didn't know about the discount, I just popped on did some shopping there, I love the new stuff.

Just seen the order, thanks a mill :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Them new Gi's... :cool:

Any sign of short sleeve rash guards coming soon?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Them new Gi's... :cool:

Any sign of short sleeve rash guards coming soon?

Yeah the new gi's turned out very well, still get a tingle when I see people wearing them and think '****, I made that!'

Short Sleeve rashies were shipped on Saturday and should be live online over Easter, just need to get them booked into the new warehouse and photographed... if I get the time with the kids!!! Have to say, they are probably my favorite design to date from the photo's that were sent. New shorts are also coming in - 2 variations, black and white and they also look very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah the new gi's turned out very well, still get a tingle when I see people wearing them and think '****, I made that!'

Short Sleeve rashies were shipped on Saturday and should be live online over Easter, just need to get them booked into the new warehouse and photographed... if I get the time with the kids!!! Have to say, they are probably my favorite design to date from the photo's that were sent. New shorts are also coming in - 2 variations, black and white and they also look very well.
    My bank account hates you already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Has anyone here had to skip bjj training due to a fungal skin infection? Seem to have picked one up somewhere, not sure where. Pharmacist gave me some cream and told me to use it for 3 weeks. Been using it almost 2 weeks now and it seems to be going away but I'm staying off the mats till it's gone.

The club has other non bjj classes such as boxing etc but I'm guessing I just need to completely avoid the place till this clears up? Was sort of hoping I could do other classes in the meantime but maybe it's best not to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

veganrun wrote: »
    Has anyone here had to skip bjj training due to a fungal skin infection? Seem to have picked one up somewhere, not sure where. Pharmacist gave me some cream and told me to use it for 3 weeks. Been using it almost 2 weeks now and it seems to be going away but I'm staying off the mats till it's gone.

The club has other non bjj classes such as boxing etc but I'm guessing I just need to completely avoid the place till this clears up? Was sort of hoping I could do other classes in the meantime but maybe it's best not to?

If they are doing other classes, is everyone taking off their shoes???

I see this a lot in some clubs where the bjj/Judo/Karate lads religiously take their shoes off for class only for the next class (Boxing, Krav Maga, etc.) to come in and use mats with their shoes on.

If thats the case I dont know what you can do. But I know I'm no fan of having my face stuck to the mats if people walking on them with outside shoes

We're lucky, We have our own mat space which no one else uses. We still disinfect the mats once a week.

Its a common enough thing though. Not had it myself but had a mate who had to stay away a week+ He caught it from another person though.

Advertisement