Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

They don't allow shoes on any of the mats so all classes are done barefoot. The infection is on my chest but I guess it's better to just avoid the place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It'll probably be people who use the changing rooms/bathrooms in their bare feet.
    We get lads in wrestling boots doing BJJ all the time, might as well just walk into the jacks and clean the urinals with your face.

Can't understand how people can do that and then walk onto a mat where people will be rolling around on, nasty ain't the word.

I picked one up last year but was around the same time I got injured so I was out anyway to let it clear up.

It's a fairly common thing though unfortunately.

Also, make sure you give yourself a good scrub in the shower to try get rid of the nastiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Yeah our place has a rule where you are supposed to wear shoes/flipflops off the mats at all times, especially in the changing rooms.

I don't think I picked it up from the gym but I guess it's better to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

We have that too, as do all gyms I hope. Still doesn't stop people being dirty ****ers though.

It's probably a gym's biggest problem, getting everyone to wear flip flops in the changing rooms/bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

We're lucky, We have our own mat space which no one else uses. We still disinfect the mats once a week.

Once a week?Thats fairly low.Our gym cleans the mats twice daily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Might be in Nenagh in a couple of weeks.

Am I right in thinking Nenagh Warriors offers no-gi BJJ twice a week? Any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Not really, Portlaoise is about the nearest but it's 40 mins drive away and has a Team Ryano - train there myself :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Might be in Nenagh in a couple of weeks.

Am I right in thinking Nenagh Warriors offers no-gi BJJ twice a week? Any other options?

Yea NW is no-gi Tuesday and Thursday at 7pm-not sure of any other clubs running down here at the minute, unless you want to give Boxing\Judo a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yea NW is no-gi Tuesday and Thursday at 7pm-not sure of any other clubs running down here at the minute, unless you want to give Boxing\Judo a shot

Welcome back :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thanks Stephen, may pop in one of the nights if it's cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I dont suppose anyone knows how much Wild Geese charges for BJJ? And before anyone says it, go check out their "contact us" form on their website and tell me where they goofed up in basic web design.. :D

My gym Jungle has moved to portobello which is waaaay too far for me to get to now. Ive been looking at alternatives but i honestly jsut think i cant afford it anymroe. Jungle was great cause it was only 50 per month. I tried out a Judo class near me last night tho cause it was literally 10 quid per class. It was weird i kinda thought theyd have better ground game cause Judo and BJJ are so closely related but my white belt ass managed to anaconda choke their most experienced (brown belt) guy. Needless to say tho on the feet they owned me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I dont suppose anyone knows how much Wild Geese charges for BJJ? And before anyone says it, go check out their "contact us" form on their website and tell me where they goofed up in basic web design.. :D

My gym Jungle has moved to portobello which is waaaay too far for me to get to now. Ive been looking at alternatives but i honestly jsut think i cant afford it anymroe. Jungle was great cause it was only 50 per month. I tried out a Judo class near me last night tho cause it was literally 10 quid per class. It was weird i kinda thought theyd have better ground game cause Judo and BJJ are so closely related but my white belt ass managed to anaconda choke their most experienced (brown belt) guy. Needless to say tho on the feet they owned me.

Where you based? Phantom MMA is on Moore Street but there's plenty of other city centre gyyms about.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Where you based? Phantom MMA is on Moore Street but there's plenty of other city centre gyyms about.

Im on the quays by IFSC, never heard of Phantom before, i used to train at JSBJJ but its just way too expensive there for me now

Im on the quays by IFSC, never heard of Phantom before, i used to train at JSBJJ but its just way too expensive there for me now

Search Fantom Gym and MMA on Facebook. One of the guys I trained with is training there during college.

Search Fantom Gym and MMA on Facebook. One of the guys I trained with is training there during college.

Will do, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Thanks Stephen, may pop in one of the nights if it's cool.

Of course, always good to have visitors-send a PM to the facebook page if your after any more info

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

http://www.10thplanetdublin.com/ is not far from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Not sure how far you're willing to travel but you have both SBG Concorde and SBG Tallaght o via the Red Line Luas which runs through the IFSC.

Also the 15 bus goes straight past the new Jungle BJJ location, and that runs from Connolly Station every 10 or so minutes (so Dublin Bus claim, anyway :pac:).

Cheers for the suggestions guys. I looked at 10p in Fairview alright but again sadly its a bit too pricey for me (also im pretty much 100% a Gi guy). I honestly think most gyms are out of my price range at the moment, the missus is out of work so all bills fall to me meaning an extra 80 or so a month is a real stretch. Even jungle have put their monthly price up by a tenner since moving. I think i might just stick with the Judo for a while as i enjoyed what i tried of it even if it is a world of difference from what im used to in BJJ, but it means i can still do some grappling, improve my already nonexistant standup, and do it for super cheap

Cheers for the suggestions guys. I looked at 10p in Fairview alright but again sadly its a bit too pricey for me (also im pretty much 100% a Gi guy). I honestly think most gyms are out of my price range at the moment, the missus is out of work so all bills fall to me meaning an extra 80 or so a month is a real stretch. Even jungle have put their monthly price up by a tenner since moving. I think i might just stick with the Judo for a while as i enjoyed what i tried of it even if it is a world of difference from what im used to in BJJ, but it means i can still do some grappling, improve my already nonexistant standup, and do it for super cheap

Could you explain to the club your situation? I know one of the guys in my gym who lost his job trains for very little every month. He helps out by cleaning the mats and tidying the changing rooms etc. instead.

• Advertisement

Could you explain to the club your situation? I know one of the guys in my gym who lost his job trains for very little every month. He helps out by cleaning the mats and tidying the changing rooms etc. instead.

Nah, neither a borrower or a lender be my friend! i wouldn't expect a hand out from anyone. Honestly im fine taking a break for a while, i love BJJ but it isnt my life or anything, im almost 40, im not training to compete or anything so it wont kill me to miss it for a bit, and as i say, itll be fun to learn something new with a bit of Judo for now

. I tried out a Judo class near me last night tho cause it was literally 10 quid per class. It was weird i kinda thought theyd have better ground game cause Judo and BJJ are so closely related but my white belt ass managed to anaconda choke their most experienced (brown belt) guy. Needless to say tho on the feet they owned me.

He probably gave your white belt too much respect and paid the price, then decided to clip your wings in tachiwaza :D

Tbf though I'd use an Anaconda choke more in BJJ than Judo, and although I'm a Judo dan grade I always second guess if an anaonda is legal [in Judo], I might be wrong but I'd say a ref at competition would see it as a neck crank

Also in Judo most of my partners would be brown and dan grades and getting the opening to get an anaconda working (the very few times I'd try it) would be very hard due to a Judoka's very low and very strong base.

In BJJ its one of my fav, esp nogi.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tbf though I'd use an Anaconda choke more in BJJ than Judo, and although I'm a Judo dan grade I always second guess if an anaonda is legal [in Judo], I might be wrong but I'd say a ref at competition would see it as a neck crank

Done right it should be a clear choke.
    But if you go a bit peruvian necktie, there's definitely some cranking.

I'm often surprised at how lax some judokas are once it hits the ground. I remember Travis Stephens (I think) winning by armbar when his opponent appeared to forget that newaza was allowed. He just kinda turtled with his arm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Craig Jones destroying knees in Japan.

All I can say is: :eek:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhcqiuBHuUc/

He probably gave your white belt too much respect and paid the price, then decided to clip your wings in tachiwaza :D

Also in Judo most of my partners would be brown and dan grades and getting the opening to get an anaconda working (the very few times I'd try it) would be very hard due to a Judoka's very low and very strong base.

In BJJ its one of my fav, esp nogi.

Yeah, think they just assumed i didnt know **** and walked into some subs. They didnt make the same mistake last night :D Got the ankles kicked off me from foot sweeps lol

The whole event was class. Some good highlights up on UFF Fight Pass Twitter.

Mellor wrote: »
    Done right it should be a clear choke.
    But if you go a bit peruvian necktie, there's definitely some cranking.

I'm often surprised at how lax some judokas are once it hits the ground. I remember Travis Stephens (I think) winning by armbar when his opponent appeared to forget that newaza was allowed. He just kinda turtled with his arm out.

The problem for a competitive Judoka is you've to bear in mind that you might have a ref who hasn't cross trained in BJJ or who's club hasn't concentrated a lot on newaza, so you'll err on the side of caution.

I've been caught in the transition from standing to being subbed on the ground because tbh, some throws leave you momentarily stunned and you've caught dozing, and who wants Travis Stevens hanging off your arm ~ I'd tap lol.

I drill it into myself and people I'm coaching 'never let a hand, or the tatami touch your back' ~ just to get it into their heads to react very quickly to both.

Jitz is different, some players prefer to fight off their backs & you're not Ipppon'd in competition if you land flat on your back.

Yeah, think they just assumed i didnt know **** and walked into some subs. They didnt make the same mistake last night :D Got the ankles kicked off me from foot sweeps lol

Foot sweeps are a whore, but you'll get used to them and you won't have sore ankles and shins after a few months.

If you're going to take Judo into your BJJ my advice is learn grips.

I've no interest in BJJ competition, I'll be honest I find them terribly boring (that's a personal opinion as a spectator).

But from my observation one of the stand out weakness in BJJ in weak grips. And I don't mean weak as in muscular strength, I'm talking about poor techique. Where to grip the gi, breaking grips and dominating your opponent on grips.

Its very hard to beat someone who's dominating the grips, its like trying to fight a boxer with a good jab.

Hope you enjoy your Judo, great seeing people cross train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Foot sweeps are a whore, but you'll get used to them and you won't have sore ankles and shins after a few months.

If you're going to take Judo into your BJJ my advice is learn grips.

I've no interest in BJJ competition, I'll be honest I find them terribly boring (that's a personal opinion as a spectator).

But from my observation one of the stand out weakness in BJJ in weak grips. And I don't mean weak as in muscular strength, I'm talking about poor techique. Where to grip the gi, breaking grips and dominating your opponent on grips.

Its very hard to beat someone who's dominating the grips, its like trying to fight a boxer with a good jab.

Hope you enjoy your Judo, great seeing people cross train.

The breaking of balance for takedowns in BJJ is very under utilised, personally I have drilled this to death and I do it without thinking, in the same way as I feign a collar grab before shooting for a leg... even when drilling takedowns I will always do both so I don't get into bad habits.

Grips at lower belt levels can be quite shoddy but as you progress, they tend to be much tighter.

• Advertisement

On the topic of grips in judo and BJJ

Advertisement