Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you're only going to get minimal BJJ sessions in then it makes sense to be doing some strength training on the side, and this is usually going to be easier to fit in even if you work and have kids. Prevents injuries, makes your time on the mat more productive = a no-brainer.
    Agree with that. I've an hour for lunch and a gym around the corner. So it's easy to fit it in then. Usually do two strength sessions and one other session (callesthetics/mobility/conditioning).
    I've been going to a bjj gym for open mat one lunchtime per week too. That's actually made a huge difference lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

My gym is closeby (10 min walk max from work) and has lunchtime sessions but I've never to one been except one day when I was off work. My excuse is the class is an hour and so is my lunch break and by the time I get there, changed, back to work and showered etc it's going to be a lot more than 1hr.

Or did you mean strength training as opposed to BJJ classes at lunch? :)

veganrun wrote: »
    My gym is closeby (10 min walk max from work) and has lunchtime sessions but I've never to one been except one day when I was off work. My excuse is the class is an hour and so is my lunch break and by the time I get there, changed, back to work and showered etc it's going to be a lot more than 1hr.

Or did you mean strength training as opposed to BJJ classes at lunch? :)

I do 3 lunch in the normal gym. Strength training, conditioning, etc.
    And 1 lunch at the bjj gym around the corner (not my bjj gym).
    It's only about 2 minute away. So I can get 45 minutes in. Sometimes I'll take a longer lunch so I can roll for an hour.

I have access to a squat rack and bench so will probably see if I can resume strong lifts 5x5 to build up some strength. I cycle most days so my legs have developed a bit but my upper body strength I feel is like Mr Burns from the Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I have access to a squat rack and bench so will probably see if I can resume strong lifts 5x5 to build up some strength. I cycle most days so my legs have developed a bit but my upper body strength I feel is like Mr Burns from the Simpsons.

Do bodyweight exercises. Chin ups, press ups, pull ups, anything ending in -ups basically. I was a noodle armed weakling before i got into fitness like 6 years ago. First stuff i did was all bodyweight exercises and its fantastic for developing upper body strength. Go take a look at the recommended routine over on reddits r/bodyweightfitness sub. Its a great workout you can do at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Do bodyweight exercises. Chin ups, press ups, pull ups, anything ending in -ups basically. I was a noodle armed weakling before i got into fitness like 6 years ago. First stuff i did was all bodyweight exercises and its fantastic for developing upper body strength. Go take a look at the recommended routine over on reddits r/bodyweightfitness sub. Its a great workout you can do at home

Zuu is also great and can be done at home with no equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

RoboRat wrote: »
    Zuu is also great and can be done at home with no equipment.

The first Bjj coach i had was crazy into this. Do the initials JG mean anything to you?

Froshtbit wrote: »
    The first Bjj coach i had was crazy into this. Do the initials JG mean anything to you?

Yup :-)

I've placed you know. I bought my first and only gi from you one fine evening.

Froshtbit wrote: »
    I've placed you know. I bought my first and only gi from you one fine evening.

And I hope that it's still considered a fine purchase :-)

• Advertisement

Well, i train almost exclusively nogi which isnt the gi's fault but yeah, it's taking quite a lot of abuse and still looks as good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You guys from Portlaoise?

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Judging by the username I'd guess further north.

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I live there, not from there though :-)

I just like the meme. I lived in Portloaise for a while. I'm from Mayo, exiled in Dublin.

Mellor wrote: »
    There's a guy who started around the same time as me. He was about 16. I was older, stronger and slightly better at jiu jitsu. He dropped out of school and changed to a gym where he could train full time.
    Fast forward 5 years. He has meddled at most big IBJJF comps. Got his brown belt last year and took gold at euros just afterwards. Brown belts pros at that level are better than your typical black belt imo.

The fact his progression is insane compared to my own actually makes it easier to not compare myself to others. My progress is exactly where it should be based on the hours I've put in. Jiu Jitsu is funny like that ;)

And he just won Worlds at brown belt. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone know any clubs n Belfast? I'm there for work next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Selling two slightly worn gi's over on adverts.ie since I no longer fit in either of them.

Perfect for anyone looking for quality training gear at a fraction of retail. Both are €50 each.

One Black Vulkan A3
    https://touch.adverts.ie/martial-arts/vulkan-a3-black-gi-ultra-light/15611146

One White and Grey 93Brand A2L
    https://touch.adverts.ie/martial-arts/93brand-white-grey-a2l-gi/15611179

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

anyone know any clubs n Belfast? I'm there for work next weekend
    Kyoujin Belfast. Peter Lavery is the man in charge, you can find them on Facebook.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Kyoujin Belfast. Peter Lavery is the man in charge, you can find them on Facebook.
    +1 on that... Also ryano affiliates and Pete is the man ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Anyone here not like bjj takedowns? I've done them once in class and didn't really like them. I didn't like having to fall etc and was half waiting to land with a thud and hurt myself. Since then I've kind of been hoping they don't ask us to do them (although I've only been a handful of times). Now however they've changed the class structure so it seems takedowns will be covered in every session.

Has anyone else been like that?

I finally went back to my gym for a kickboxing class earlier this week and I'm thinking about trying to keep my momentum going by attending bjj tomorrow. But this stupid fear of takedowns and bjj injuries in general is holding me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone here not like bjj takedowns? I've done them once in class and didn't really like them. I didn't like having to fall etc and was half waiting to land with a thud and hurt myself. Since then I've kind of been hoping they don't ask us to do them (although I've only been a handful of times). Now however they've changed the class structure so it seems takedowns will be covered in every session.

I finally went back to my gym for a kickboxing class earlier this week and I'm thinking about trying to keep my momentum going by attending bjj tomorrow. But this stupid fear of takedowns and bjj injuries in general is holding me back.

Have you not been shown how to breakfall?

Don't think so. I saw them doing some drills the other night where they kind of fell backwards then started shrimping. It's a fundamentals class so I'm guessing nothing too extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't think so. I saw them doing some drills the other night where they kind of fell backwards then started shrimping. It's a fundamentals class so I'm guessing nothing too extreme.

https://youtu.be/Dl1Y3Zprdso

Ask the next night you go training. Tell them your not comfortable being taken down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I had that fear initially when we started doing them. You learn how to fall fairly quickly.
    Now it doesn't really bother me unless some one does something out of WWE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Perfectly natural.

As your coach to teach you to breakfall, its really negligent of a coach to do take downs without first drilling the students on breakfalls.

But you may already have built up a fear of them, there are a few ways to over come that and none of it will make any sense unless you do them in class.

Take downs are tough, they're meant to be but the hurt can be reduced by using crash mats, teaching students to breakfall or have a student reluctant to get thrown paired with a really good partner (ideally a Judo black belt).

Some people never get over their fear of being thrown in drills but they're perfectly fine in a live class or competition.

I'm a Judo black belt and honestly I hate being thrown during drills, I make the worse 'uki' (partner being thrown). But I can make it easier on my partner by relaxing, being light on my feet (I'm easier to throw then). And although personally I don't do this, but I did many years ago ~ relax, close your eyes and go with the throw and you'll be surprised how easy it is.

If you're a heavy person landing is always going to be with a thud I'm afraid, big lads don't float to the mat and we certainly don't bounce when we hit it lol.

Last, whats your coaches back ground on throws and take downs?.. I've seen one or two (or more) BJJ coaches try to teach throws/take downs which made me cringe.

You could also consider cross training in Judo.

Yeah they were doing the first fall in that video. I think it might be only one of the coaches doing takedowns in every class, not sure about the other coaches.

I'm a heavy guy but I guess I feel a bit clumsy in bjj at times when they ask us to do falls or moves where like you are like pulling someone down into an armbar or something.

I started kickboxing the other night and I liked it so I want to continue with that too but think I'd like to combine it with bjj.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm was similar to yourself when i started first, feeling like i was bigger than everyone else(i was much fatter tho :D) and clumsey and stuff like that.

What i found helped, was getting in a few mins early every day, practicing forward and backward rolls(I found backward rolls helped me over come my fear of falling back on my neck) and break falls.

Doing some yoga will also help you become a bit more flexible and help you move easier on the mats, if you can move easier, you'll have less fear of falling and hurting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a heavy guy.

As my earlier comments suggested, I guessed that.

Its perfectly normal, and the vast majority of bigger lads hate being thrown because like I said, we don't float to the mat and we certainly don't bounce when we hit it.

But look, you're very unlikely to get injured being thrown in drills. If you can partner up with someone with a lot of experience (if you've an experienced Judoka in the club they'll understand completely) throwing the experience won't be so intimidating after while.

Example, one of the most ferocious Judoka [even in his retirement] I know is Andy Ryan (Team Ryano). One of the least likely to injury someone, and the one who'll throw you with perfect technique and its almost pleasant ~ is Andy!.

Works the same for tall lads, we hate foot sweeps and ankle grabs 'cause its a long way to the floor when you've over 6ft tall lol

As a big guy you'll get used to it if you stick it out, but you'll never grow to like it lol

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If it really bothers you, try take some classes in an aikido school that throws people (rather than the hippy dippy school that always let you roll out of the throw)

Aikido will really get you used to falling safely, you'll need to modify it when you train BJJ or judo but it will make you confident about being launched

Advertisement