Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Example, one of the most ferocious Judoka [even in his retirement] I know is Andy Ryan (Team Ryano). One of the least likely to injury someone, and the one who'll throw you with perfect technique and its almost pleasant ~ is Andy!.

Case in point, I remember doing a class in his place years and years ago and during the warm up he kept gently foot sweeping me and letting me roll across the mat instead of burying me into it. Was pretty funny at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Example, one of the most ferocious Judoka [even in his retirement] I know is Andy Ryan (Team Ryano). One of the least likely to injury someone, and the one who'll throw you with perfect technique and its almost pleasant ~ is Andy!.

No, no it's not... not when he has that evil grin on his face!!!

His technique is amazing though, as are most of the Ryano BB's, and he wont injure you.

I'm a heavy enough guy 100kg and I used to hate being thrown but my hatred stems from bad throws/ techniques. I tend to make it a bit easier but helping somewhat until they get the mechanics and then I go back to being difficult as there is no point in being too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Hi all. Anyone know why the sub only summer smack down tournament in July has been removed from smoothcomp???? Was looking to register for it, but it disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Went back to jiu-jitsu tonight. It was a no-gi class and we were doing get ups and butterfly sweeps. It wasn't too bad but I couldn't believe how bad I was at getups, went on my a*** a few times. One guy I was rolling with was really good, when he swept me I barely felt anything.

Don't know if I wasn't trying hard enough but I was far from gassed out like before. It's been a few months since my last class and I'm eating fractionally better and cycling more so maybe my cardio has improved. A few people seem to think I have lost weight but if so, it's not really showing on the scales, and if it is, it's not more than 2-3 lbs so nothing drastic or noticeable. Although I feel like my legs have got bigger and more defined.

For those who have Amazon Prime, there's a series called Brazilian jiu-jitsu Purple Belt Exams (just search for purple belt exams). Seems to be video of people being graded. I just watch the first one and found it really interesting. I love how they flowed from one move to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

veganrun wrote: »
    For those who have Amazon Prime, there's a series called Brazilian jiu-jitsu Purple Belt Exams (just search for purple belt exams). Seems to be video of people being graded. I just watch the first one and found it really interesting. I love how they flowed from one move to another.

Did you see that on reddit? It's also on yourtube, including blue, brown and black belt sets

It's on youtube too

Blue Belt Exams
    Purple Belt Exams
    Brown Belt Exams
    Black Belt Exams

Saw it on FB. Good to see there are other ones too, didn't know about that.

Does anyone here combine weight lifting with bjj? I've seen recently on the news they are saying people should be doing at least two strength sessions a week.

Could you get away without doing the strength sessions if you are doing bjj? Not sure how it stacks up in terms of muscle, joint, bone strengthening etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I've been meaning to start it myself, there's a S&C class on Thursdays after BJJ that I must try get to.

Also noticed that I got my blue belt a year ago today, and can probably count on both hands the amount of classes I've managed to get to since. It has not been a good year for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Does anyone here combine weight lifting with bjj? I've seen recently on the news they are saying people should be doing at least two strength sessions a week.

Could you get away without doing the strength sessions if you are doing bjj? Not sure how it stacks up in terms of muscle, joint, bone strengthening etc.

I try get 3 strength session in a week with bjj/muay thai,

It defiantly helps

• Advertisement

I do 2 weights sessions and 1 bodyweight/mobility session per week. At lunchtimes.
    I try to get in 3 bjj sessions, but falling short most weeks. The target was 60 sessions by June. But only did 41. The missus is flying home later this month, im on my tod for 5 weeks. I might move into the gym.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

2-3 days a week, barbell based training would be my vote and I think this would benefit most BJJ players more than the diverse things I see people getting up to outside of their mat time. Only my few cents.

If you new to lifting then find a coach who can show you how to squat, bench press, deadlift and overhead press correctly.

Then my personal suggestion would be to run a linear progress type programme. Common suggestions are things like Starting Strength, StrongLifts etc.

Ordinarily if someone is training a lot then doing 3 sessions a week of linear progress is not compatible, but if you are not training much (based on the other thread) then it would work well.

When the linear progress is complete there are intermediate programming options that combine well with BJJ.

At the moment I do a HLM (heavy light medium) program that is exactly what it sounds like, spread over 2-3 days lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I did yoga for a few months when I wasn't able to get to the gym. I felt that was much more beneficial to my BJJ than any workout I've had had lifting weights.

If only I had time for all three...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

Spot on, I meant to mention that too.
    Working on weights, cardio, flexibility is beneficial but you shouldn't work on any of those things when there is a class or open mats. If should confined to times you are free and have no way of rolling.

Strength training has such broad benefits, though, particularly the older you get. It's one of the best things you can do to offset the chronic degenerative effects of aging and illness. I don't think I could agree that it should always be put on the back burner if there is a chance to be on the mat instead, unless we are talking about a specific situation like maybe there is a competition coming up or someone is at a stage of their training where they are like a sponge and going through a really rich phase of skill development.

From a BJJ perspective, I would credit the strength training in large part with the fact that I haven't been injured in some time. Some historical injuries that I have (MCL tear, for example, neck issues too) have been kept asymptomatic i.e pain free precisely by the strength training. BJJ is, for all intents and purposes, a contact sport, and to borrow a phrase coined by the American coach Dan John, most contact sports athletes like football players have long known the protective benefits of 'armour building' strength programming in the off season, which gives them an amount of mass that helps keep them in one piece.

I'm sure you guys agree with the above to one degree or another, and I do actually get what you're saying about the primary value of BJJ mat time in order to get better at BJJ.

But even at that, if someone has (for the sake of argument) eight hours available to them per week for training... Then I don't think it's unreasonable to think about putting a mere two hours aside for strength training, considering the returns.

I don't think I could agree that it should always be put on the back burner if there is a chance to be on the mat instead

But even at that, if someone has (for the sake of argument) eight hours available to them per week for training... Then I don't think it's unreasonable to think about putting a mere two hours aside for strength training, considering the returns.
    It's not about "not doing strength train", it "not doing strength training during class time". It's different.
    I'd guess that most of our gyms have a limited number of classes a week and there's probably only a handful of classes that suit our schedules. Strength work however, I can do anytime. Multiple options everyday. Before work, lunchtime, before jiu jitsu, etc. Doing strength work during class time means that you are skipping a class you were available for, with training you could of done a different time.

I do 3 non-jiujitsu sessions every week. I do them during my lunchbreaks. I'm free with nothing better to do. If I was doing them during class time, I lose mat time and don't gain anything.

The above is aimed at the guys squeezing in 2 or 3 classes a week. If somebody trains in a gym with classes constantly, and has no issue fitting in 6 classes a week, then do strength whenever

I definitely have enough time to fit in strength training. Realistically I'm likely to get to 2 bjj Classes at most per week initially.

I'm a little older now too (41) so I know I need to work on strength stuff too. I'd also like to try and avoid injuries. My knees have given me grief on and off over the years.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not about "not doing strength train", it "not doing strength training during class time". It's different.
    I'd guess that most of our gyms have a limited number of classes a week and there's probably only a handful of classes that suit our schedules. Strength work however, I can do anytime. Multiple options everyday. Before work, lunchtime, before jiu jitsu, etc. Doing strength work during class time means that you are skipping a class you were available for, with training you could of done a different time.

If that was what you were saying then we're in agreement.

As an addendum to the different roles of BJJ and lifting in someone's life I just want to mention that it's a pet hate when BJJ class time is eaten into with calisthenics in the warm-up. My personal preference would be for a fairly minimal BJJ-based warm up, emphasising movements that are sport specific. The rounds of push-ups, burpees etc.that are sometimes seen are, IMO, an utter waste of time considering the gym is the best place and time for this type of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If that was what you were saying then we're in agreement.

As an addendum to the different roles of BJJ and lifting in someone's life I just want to mention that it's a pet hate when BJJ class time is eaten into with calisthenics in the warm-up. My personal preference would be for a fairly minimal BJJ-based warm up, emphasising movements that are sport specific. The rounds of push-ups, burpees etc.that are sometimes seen are, IMO, an utter waste of time considering the gym is the best place and time for this type of work.

This annoys me too.

IMO Jitz, Judo, Wrestling etc can only be done safely on the tatami. So when you're on the tatami, fu*king grapple.

You can do all the other stuff anywhere perfectly safely, but you can only do the above safely on the tatami.

I'm sick of saying this.

Be sports specific in your warm up and leave the other stuff to cardio circuit classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The BJJ circuits in my last gym were nuts. Like not gonna lie, i did enjoy doing them, but it took the piss after a while. Literally running laps of the gym with a training partner on your back like you're medevac'ing someone from a ****ing warzone and all kinds of other crazy ****. Actually the worst injuries i got in BJJ were 2 extremely bad cases of turf toe from, you guessed it, running laps around the mats and getting my toe caught in the cracks between the mats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

darced wrote: »

Like what is the point in doing circuits in a grappling class!.

Like I said, you can only grapple safely on the tatami. You can not do that on a hard surface, so when you're on the tatami ~ grapple (BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Wrestle etc).

Circuits should be left to the individual to do elsewhere.

I don't mean one should go 100% from the 'get go in a class, but with a tiny bit of imagination a sports specific warm up shouldn't be beyond the imagination of a half decent coach.

Circuits should be left to the individual to do elsewhere.

I think the issue lies in this part.
    They should be up to the individual. Everyone should do their own strength, cardio, and mobility training. But the reality is they don't. The guys who take it seriously do, but that's half the class or so.

Our BJJ coach expects us to do are own S&C, and even our own warmup pre-class so we can cut the class warm down and get into training. It works for a while, but eventually people do be gasping for air during the sports-specific drills (hip escapes, breakfalls, rolls etc) and he goes to town for a few weeks with intense warmups.

Wrestling warm-up is always intense. Ingrained in the sport I guess. Handstands, cartwheels, headsprings etc. As Phoebe Full Overlap would say, you only do them on the mats.

I'm off to the physio on Thursday as I've tweaked my shoulder and I'm pretty sure it's my rotator cuff again. Nothing too bad, but I've had the same issue with this shoulder before although quite a long time ago. I think some slightly botched weights and bjj triggered it. It was overhead lifting before that did it. I know strength and resistance training won't guarantee no injuries but I think they might help prevent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Completely agree re the circuits and bull**** non bjj specific warm ups (running around in circles anyone?)

Armbar drills - triangle drills  - x guard to single leg drills .... these will "warm you up" for sure !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Great to see the Irish lads doing so well over the weekend at Polaris.

Yeah rotator cuff again. I was fairly sure as the symptoms were the same. The physio seems to think it will be 4-6 weeks to clear up.

Does anyone else here seem to get niggling injuries? I originally hurt my shoulder in the gym years ago doing shoulder presses. Part of me thinks that strength work would help prevent these issues but I think I'm off the mats and off the weights till this is sorted.

Yeah rotator cuff again. I was fairly sure as the symptoms were the same. The physio seems to think it will be 4-6 weeks to clear up.

Does anyone else here seem to get niggling injuries? I originally hurt my shoulder in the gym years ago doing shoulder presses. Part of me thinks that strength work would help prevent these issues but I think I'm off the mats and off the weights till this is sorted.
    Done something to a tiny bone on the side of my hand last year, gave it 5 months to heal up as it felt like it was out of place. Still get twinges/hurt it slightly every so often.

That and I've done something to my knee, dunno what it is but if I sit on a chair with my leg tucked in for a while and try stand, I can't put any weight on it for a few minutes, same if I cross my legs as well.

I'm lucky if I go to a training session in full health/perfect nick these days

• Advertisement

Done something to a tiny bone on the side of my hand last year, gave it 5 months to heal up as it felt like it was out of place. Still get twinges/hurt it slightly every so often.

That and I've done something to my knee, dunno what it is but if I sit on a chair with my leg tucked in for a while and try stand, I can't put any weight on it for a few minutes, same if I cross my legs as well.

I'm lucky if I go to a training session in full health/perfect nick these days

Advertisement