Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I 100% think not injuring him was the right call. Putting myself in your shoes: I wouldn't want to have to have a conversation with my coach and say that I broke a peer or a lower belt's arm because except by complete accident. If I had to admit that I knew it was going to break and I did it anyway because it was about proving a point / teaching them a lesson then I think... Well, even typing that out it just sounds indefensible.

Now on the other hand, if you had him in a choke and he stubbornly refused to tap then he would just go to sleep... That's a more defensible proposition? Er... Maybe...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

So i injured my knee a few months ago, didn't get an MRI, physio said it seems to be a grade 2 MCL tear and a torn VMO muscle....took a few months, but it eventually came right enough that i could get back on the mats and drill for a bit. was going okay for a few weeks, but it just never felt right.

couple of weeks ago i suffered another injury(broken toes, didn't happen at training) so i've been off the mats since, now the toes are coming around a bit, and i thought the extra time off the mats would help the knee, but it's still not right.

This happened in the middle of May, it's now August and still giving me grief.

Anyone here had a similar injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Get a second opinion on the knee, I was told I sprained my knee after an X-Ray and it turns out it was a full ACL tear. Don't take a doctors word as gospel, they can be wrong sometimes.

Yeah i'm considering getting an MRI on it just to be sure.....

Like right now it's okay for every day, i can walk and everything without issue, i can use the bikes and treadmill in the gym and do squats without issue, it's mainly at training when me knee goes the wrong way i feel some pain....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I had a grade 2 mcl tear and came back within probably 4-5 months. I did have an MRI so was confirmed. My knee dislocated also.

I really aggressively rehabbed it. A lot (I mean really high volume, hammering it 3 times a week for full sessions) of single leg exercises. Single leg squats, lunges, bulgarian split squats, step ups, single leg romanian deadlifts. Also a couple of banded exercises such as terminal knee extensions (VMO specific). All with bodyweight at the outset and then loading with weighted vest and / or dumbbells.

At first it was actually quite painful and I had to battle for full ROM but the guy helping me was of the view that most Irish physios are too conservative and that early on is the time to get at it. Can't argue with the results I got. No issues these days. Might want to modify your game a little as a precaution for a while (don't put hooks in with the bad knee, don't use it for things like de la riva etc).

Everything I've read since would suggest that if the musculature around your knee is strong enough then you can keep going - and are more likely to be pain free - even with significant ligament damage.

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    Yeah i'm considering getting an MRI on it just to be sure.....

Like right now it's okay for every day, i can walk and everything without issue, i can use the bikes and treadmill in the gym and do squats without issue, it's mainly at training when me knee goes the wrong way i feel some pain....

When i tore my ACL, i was running, lifting, squatting etc fine as i thought it was a bad sprain, it was only when i went back playing football and wasn't running in a straight line that i had problems and the knee was unstable and moving. MRI results were a complete ACL tear.

I think i’ll book in for an MRI as soon as the toes are healed up, just to be sure!

Basically only had 3-4 training sessions since May, staying off the mats is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

So Paul Harris didn't make the 200lb limit, weighing in at 218.. it's now an open weigh match

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    So Paul Harris didn't make the 200lb limit, weighing in at 218.. it's now an open weigh match
    He had absolutely no hope or intention of making the original weight of 190.
    Fair play to Jones for agreeing to openweight.

So i injured my knee a few months ago, didn't get an MRI, physio said it seems to be a grade 2 MCL tear and a torn VMO

Anyone here had a similar injury?
    I injured my knee last year. Went to the doctor who said ligaments were fine. But I knew by the way she tested it that she was checking the ACL stability, even though I had told her it was suspected MCL. I insisted on an MCL referral, and turns out it was a grade 2 MCL tear.
    Happened in late September, I was rolling again in December but wasn't January or February until it felt right. which sounds similar to where your at now.

• Advertisement

Sounds a bit reassuring there Mellor.

Did you do anything, apart from rehab work?

Mellor wrote: »
    He had absolutely no hope or intention of making the original weight of 190.
    Fair play to Jones for agreeing to openweight.

Absolutely not with the amount of juice running through him. I'm surprised he was only 218 myself.

Still, hope Jones takes his leg home with him

Sounds a bit reassuring there Mellor.

Did you do anything, apart from rehab work?
    Just basic rehab. Leg extensions, single leg squats, stability work, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

How's it going lads? I'm starting BJJ next week and was just wondering if you have any advice or hints or tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

sonic85 wrote: »
    How's it going lads? I'm starting BJJ next week and was just wondering if you have any advice or hints or tips?

Show up early, be clean (make sure your nails are trimmed, pleeeease). Don't eat garlic or smoke before training.

Listen to your coaches and don't be afraid to ask questions, but at the same time don't try to remember everything at once. You'll only get yourself flustered.

Don't be in a rush to spend too much money on gear. There's a massive drop out rate in just about all martial arts, and BJJ is no different. You don't want expensive gear gathering dust, and besides all that it'll be awhile before you can appreciate the difference between cheap club training gear and competition gear.

If you think of it throw some vasaline into your bag and give the upper part of your toes a light smearing to help prevent mat burns, but not so much that you'll get some on the mats.

Bring water, but hydrate during the day so you're not dehydrated during class. Don't eat, or eat very light in the two hours before training (even on your first night). Bring a banana for a quick bite after training.

Relax and have a great time.

Tap early and tap often, no one learns anything from a broken bone or going to sleep.

Brush your teeth.

When you get your Gi especially, as soon as you get home from training, wash your Gi, straight away, including your belt. The material of the Gi is super absorbent, and if your miss washing it once you’ll never get the stank out of it. Imagine what a protein shaker smells like when you leave it over night and multiply it by 10.

Don’t be afraid to go rolling/sparring too early, being in bad positions will really help you to learn to control your breathing in bad spots.

Thanks for the replies lads I appreciate it - some good tips there! Don't really know what to expect but I'm looking forward to it all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thanks for the replies lads I appreciate it - some good tips there! Don't really know what to expect but I'm looking forward to it all the same

Bring gum shields too.

Expect to be out of your depth, not know what's going on or what to do, and still want to go back for more of the same.

That feeling tends to stick with you for a while too :)

What to expect initially.... have you ever seen a fish out of water? Well, that will be what it feels like, especially rolling with the higher belts... you will feel completely helpless.

Don't buy a gi initially (and that's coming from me), give it some time and see if you like it before shelling out. If you buy a gi, wash it at 30 degrees and never tumble dry or put it on a radiator, if you get into it, you will need to buy another.

ALWAYS wash your belt, I have seen some lads who never wash their belt, it's disgusting.

Clip your toenails and fingernails and NEVER train with an infection or illness.

Buy a gi bag and never keep your gi in your kit bag, they are riddled with bacteria and if you chuck it in there, you may as well not bother to wash it.

Try and keep control of yourself, the biggest cause of injuries is white belts when they spaz out.

Tap early, tap often... don't be the guy that people hate to roll with who won't tap. You learn more when you tap and don't be afraid to ask how you got subbed and if there is an escape... only ask higher belts the latter though... bad advice < no advice.

Don't try to learn too much too early, I see newbies going on about berimbolo's and they can't even pass a guard. Learn the basics.

Position over submission. Learn to control the person and be in a good stable position before going for a submission. I see it all the time when people are trying to hit a sub and they haven't set it up properly.

Finally, keep you enemies close but your elbows closer.

• Advertisement

RoboRat wrote: »
    Position over submission. Learn to control the person and be in a good stable position before going for a submission. I see it all the time when people are trying to hit a sub and they haven't set it up properly.

Finally, keep you enemies close but your elbows closer.

Almost word for word how I tell it to the lads.

Regarding the elbows, I always tell them (BJJ and Judo) 'T-Rex Arms'

Just as important standing and on the ground, never give a straight arm.

Its kinda funny that the majority of time I use 'Position over submission' to to Judoka who are trying to work a sub in someone's guard. And the 'T-Rex arms' advice is always to BJJ players standing and fighting for grips.

'Keep your enemies close, but your elbows closer' ~ gonna use that one, thanks!.

Had the first class tonight and really enjoyed it! I was pure useless though which is to be expected I suppose!

Quick question - is there any way to practice at home to try improve a little bit? Without a partner is it impossible?

Quick question - is there any way to practice at home to try improve a little bit? Without a partner is it impossible?

Not impossible at all. Many beginners would benefit greatly from practicing their hip escapes (shrimping) at home on the floor. It's a hugely important movement and most guys are terrible at it for the first year or two.

I'd focus on the above for now, but there are others you could add down the line too. Lateral hip movement, inverting, etc.

If you want to improve at home, do some yoga, it will really really improve your flexibility, and it will also help you control your breathing, i can't stress how important breathing is at the start.

When you start rolling, the higher belts and higher level white belts are going to have you stuck in some nasty positions, and if you can't breath you're going to panic and spaz out trying to get out, if you have your breathing controlled it'll give you that extra couple of seconds to be able to gather your thoughts and work out an escape from the position you're stuck in.

I'm with Mellor, shrimping. Its the first thing which came to my mind when I read the Q.

A fast explosive shrimp is a very powerful tool.

I'm with Mellor, shrimping. Its the first thing which came to my mind when I read the Q.

A fast explosive shrimp is a very powerful tool.

In the acquired words of bubba... shrimpin ain't easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Mellor wrote: »
    Not impossible at all. Many beginners would benefit greatly from practicing their hip escapes (shrimping) at home on the floor. It's a hugely important movement and most guys are terrible at it for the first year or two.

I'd focus on the above for now, but there are others you could add down the line too. Lateral hip movement, inverting, etc.

Very much shrimping but also just visualization. Going over in my head techniques I just learned this week. Also relating them to similar techniques / variations from the same position ive learned previously.

A notebook can help for this but I find myself just thinking about it while walking somewhere. First get it stuck in your mind when you have to think about it, repeat it when you roll and do it enough so it will become stuck in muscle memory and you will do it automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I'm having a bit of trouble,
    i started BJJ around April 2017. I love it but i'm constantly injured.
    I'd say maybe last October a new guy started, he is a black belt in traditional JJ, anyway he's much younger than me, more athletic and quicker but couldnt tap me. I think a bit of frustration got to him, he ended up behind me while standing and decided to suplex me, almost breaking my neck.
    I could hear the crunching as i landed.......he still didnt tap me lol. Anyway i didnt feel the pain until the next day and it resulted in me being out injured for over a month. Now, every time i get back to training i get the same injury, my neck, shoulder and back completly cramp up.
    Feburary this year it happened again and it put me out of action again, only this time for over 3 months, i was in hospital because of the pure agony i was in, all the pain killers in the world didnt get the pain to go away. When it finally eased off and i felt good enough to get back training it happened again.
    I havent been back in the gym since. The hospital done an xray, no skeletal damage was found. So it must be muscle they said. There is a spot on my neck that when i touch is really painful, i'm actually avoiding going back training because of this, I dont wanna go through that pain again but I love the sport.
    What treatment would you guys recommend?
    I don't wanna waste money on the wrong treatment and i'm only realising now that this seems to possibly be permanent damage on my neck and im only really looking into getting this fixed properly now.
    Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks lads/ladies!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Fracture wrote: »
    I'd say maybe last October a new guy started, he is a black belt in traditional JJ, anyway he's much younger than me, more athletic and quicker but couldnt tap me. I think a bit of frustration got to him, he ended up behind me while standing and decided to suplex me, almost breaking my neck.
    I could hear the crunching as i landed.......he still didnt tap me lol. Anyway i didnt feel the pain until the next day and it resulted in me being out injured for over a month. Now, every time i get back to training i get the same injury, my neck, shoulder and back completly cramp up.
    Feburary this year it happened again and it put me out of action again, only this time for over 3 months, i was in hospital because of the pure agony i was in, all the pain killers in the world didnt get the pain to go away. When it finally eased off and i felt good enough to get back training it happened again.
    I havent been back in the gym since. The hospital done an xray, no skeletal damage was found. So it must be muscle they said. There is a spot on my neck that when i touch is really painful, i'm actually avoiding going back training because of this, I dont wanna go through that pain again but I love the sport.
    I don't wanna waste money on the wrong treatment and i'm only realising now that this seems to possibly be permanent damage on my neck and im only really looking into getting this fixed properly now.

Have you gone to a physio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Fracture wrote: »

First of all, did you say what happened to the head trainer in your club after it happened? A neck injury can be really serious and the guy should have really been spoken to after it happened to ensure it doesn't happen again. Nothing worse than someone with a big ego getting frustrated and getting reckless with inexperienced people.

Second, ask in the club if anyone knows and recommends a physio. A neck issue is something you need to get looked at regardless of if you make it back to training or not as it is going to pop up again later in life if not treated. Destroyed tendons and connective tissue in my knee when I was younger, like a typical young lad I said 'f**k it, it'll be fine', and now I struggle with knee pain during BJJ which is taking a long time to rehab.

Anyways, best of luck with the recovery and hope to find out you got back on the mat injury free!

Advertisement