Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Sorry, never heard of ECJJ :o I take it they're in Dublin? If so, bit of a trek for me.

East Coast Jiu Jitsu. They are affiliated to Riberio.

Maybe send them a message on Facebook and ask if they have any in stock. They might post or bring a copy to the next competition for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

emmetkenny wrote: »

Maybe send them a message on Facebook and ask if they have any in stock. They might post or bring a copy to the next competition for you.

no i don't think Darragh has any in east coast , i got mine on amazon , it was best price .
    absolutely brilliant book ,well laid out and full of info .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is that the same Darragh fighting this weekend in Polaris?

Is that the same Darragh fighting this weekend in Polaris?

Yup that's him. I've been to a fee of his Seminar and open mats and he's a great teacher and really nice guy.

He should do well in Polaris again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Also, just noticed the Polaris prologue episodes out

Just getting to these now.
    Was watching the Miyao bros rolling at the end of prologue 1, and realised that a friend of mine is in the background.
    He used to train with us, now trains at fulltime at another gym nearby. And gets to travel a lot. :D

• Advertisement

2 new episodes out. I don't know much about the guys fighting bar Palhares, Shields and a bit of Tonan but really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

A bit of newbie soreness isn't usually an injury.

Someone not cutting their nails are just manky fookers and you should have pointed this out to the instructor.

You never done traditional JJ in a Gi?.

Nah they only wore gi bottoms (no jacket) and a t-shirt. Me being the noobie i didnt even get those. Just rocked up in tracksuit bottoms and a tshirt. Left every class looking like id just been given all-over chinese burns. Surprised i didnt get staph. Another reason why im glad to have moved to a proper gym!

Newbie soreness doesnt bother me. Im used to working out and having pretty bad DOMS the next day. I was only concerned about my throat after the RNC. Had alot of discomfort when drinking afterwards for about 2-3 months. Tho i got choked in practice last night by a black belt. Thought my windpipe was gonna get crushed but despite a little soreness its not too bad today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Thinking of getting this book, Jiu-Jitsu University, has anyone seen it in local shops in Ireland? I saw Easons are selling it on their website but for double the price.

Have it and its good but you are better getting the videos IMO, I really liked Roy Deans instructional series.

Brick and mortar shops in Dublin that sell Gi?

Where are they? One on One CS seems to be closed down.

Where are you based? Royal Grappling Academy in Blanch have full stock of Wolfhound Gi's.

2 new episodes out. I don't know much about the guys fighting bar Palhares, Shields and a bit of Tonan but really looking forward to it.
    Eddie Cummings and Augusto Mendes should be interesting too.
    They had a somewhat controversial match during last years ADCC. Mendes won on negative points, this is a rematch under sub only rules.
    Nah they only wore gi bottoms (no jacket) and a t-shirt. Me being the noobie i didnt even get those. Just rocked up in tracksuit bottoms and a tshirt. Left every class looking like id just been given all-over chinese burns. Surprised i didnt get staph. Another reason why im glad to have moved to a proper gym!

Newbie soreness doesnt bother me. Im used to working out and having pretty bad DOMS the next day. I was only concerned about my throat after the RNC. Had alot of discomfort when drinking afterwards for about 2-3 months. Tho i got choked in practice last night by a black belt. Thought my windpipe was gonna get crushed but despite a little soreness its not too bad today.
    Jiu Jitsu/submission soreness, is a bit different that DOMs I find. By elbow has been killing my this week. Just won't go away for a tiny thing in training.

As for the club you were training at. I notice you said it was traditional jiu jitsu. Now I'm not making any sweeping statements about all JJJ, but some people might try to add BJJ style grappling to their class without a full grasping it the details. When the only way you know how to choke is to squeeze the crap out of something. It tends to hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

RoboRat wrote: »
    Where are you based? Royal Grappling Academy in Blanch have full stock of Wolfhound Gi's.

Midlands but work in the city centre so I could call out. What are the opening house?

Have it and its good but you are better getting the videos IMO, I really liked Roy Deans instructional series.

Mostly looking for night time reading but will look up that series as well.

I just ordered the book for 29 euro from bookdepository.com. don't think id get it cheaper than that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Mellor wrote: »
    Eddie Cummings and Augusto Mendes should be interesting too.
    They had a somewhat controversial match during last years ADCC. Mendes won on negative points, this is a rematch under sub only rules.

Jiu Jitsu/submission soreness, is a bit different that DOMs I find. By elbow has been killing my this week. Just won't go away for a tiny thing in training.

As for the club you were training at. I notice you said it was traditional jiu jitsu. Now I'm not making any sweeping statements about all JJJ, but some people might try to add BJJ style grappling to their class without a full grasping it the details. When the only way you know how to choke is to squeeze the crap out of something. It tends to hurt.

I would say thats likely what that place was. Still onwards and upwards! Ive enjoyed training in the new gym. I dont think ill ever compete as im getting older now but i do love the training, learning the submissions, and the gym is full of good people. Ive loved BJJ since i first watched MMA about 7 or 8 years ago and i just lvoe getting the chance to practice al lthe stuff ive been watching for so long

Mostly looking for night time reading but will look up that series as well.

I just ordered the book for 29 euro from bookdepository.com. don't think id get it cheaper than that anyway.

BJJ Globetrotter is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Tonon did incredibly well for the rest of that match, hes talked about moving to MMA, would be very interested to see how that goes, exciting style and he can actually wrestle

Tox56 wrote: »
    Tonon did incredibly well for the rest of that match, hes talked about moving to MMA, would be very interested to see how that goes, exciting style and he can actually wrestle

Tonon did more than well, he dominated the grappling exchanges imo. Took Palhares' back twice, 10+ sub attempts, include a heelhook that had Palares grimacing in pain.
    Taking nothing away from Palhares either, his high crotch and suplex showed his freak strength.

Technically a draw obviously. But I think Palhares' comments afterwards acknowledged that Garry was better on the night.

Man those leg lecks from Tonon looked nasty, 1 in particular I thought I saw Palhares' leg bend. Great match altogether

Shields AJ match was good as well, some lovely guillotines.

Prelims had some good matches, that choke with 1 second left was class.

Do ye think it should end at a draw or go the EBI rules of each getting a go at a sub from attacking position?

Do ye think it should end at a draw or go the EBI rules of each getting a go at a sub from attacking position?
    I do like the EBI ruleset. Does a good job of eliminating the awkward draw.
    At the same time, it's very forced. Which is a necessity in a tourney format, but I'm not sure about single matches.

No time limit is the other option, which has the potential to be very messy.

Man those leg lecks from Tonon looked nasty, 1 in particular I thought I saw Palhares' leg bend. Great match altogether

Shields AJ match was good as well, some lovely guillotines.

Prelims had some good matches, that choke with 1 second left was class.

It is disappointing they all finished in a draw and anyone who watched it who aren't involved in BJJ would find them very boring.

I think there should be some reward system for an aggressor who continues to attack to award them the win.

• Advertisement

It is disappointing they all finished in a draw and anyone who watched it who aren't involved in BJJ would find them very boring.

I think there should be some reward system for an aggressor who continues to attack to award them the win.
    It is disappointing that the main card ended it all draws. But it's a very same sample size. The last Polaris only one of two draws. The finish rate is still pretty high accross all events.

How would you work such a reward system? Isn't that basically back to "points". Which they're trying to get away from.

It is disappointing that the main card ended it all draws. But it's a very same sample size. The last Polaris only one of two draws. The finish rate is still pretty high accross all events.

How would you work such a reward system? Isn't that basically back to "points". Which they're trying to get away from.

It's hard to know to be honest.

If one competitor continues to try for submissions and the other only ever escapes then you could use a modified point system where each submission attempt is awarded one point(obviously you would have to specify what is an 'attempt') but allow the referee to award the points.

I suppose it could just be done in a similar fashion to advantage points for sub attempts under normal rules. You get credit if the opponent is in danger of being submitted.

I suppose rather than making it a visible part of the match. The ref can just keep it to himself, and award a referees decision at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

So basically advantages under the normal points system??

I like the idea of sub only but its an absolute minefield to navigate and make work properly. Elite competitors submit each other very, very rarely, it just doesnt happen enough for a format like Polaris to work (in terms of delivering a sub) unless you set up mismatches. Two elite guys will cancel each other out in a 15-20 minute match 8, 9 times out of 10

Either you go the EBI route and essentially manufacture the submissions, or go longer time limits. For Polaris I'd at least like to see the main event be something like 45 mins/no time limit, but that presents more logistical problems

Honestly I cant see how jiu jitsu will ever appeal to people who dont do it, AJ Agazarm is getting stick for his antics but like it or not thats by far the best way to get casual fans interested in a sub grappling match

Casual just aren't going to get Jiu Jitsu. There are too many intricate details. Even some of the submission would go over there head (thinking of some footlocks here)

I don't like the current system as you can have someone wait out a draw.

EBI rules are good but I would love something like an audience voting system. At the end of the match, and if its a draw, then people get to vote for who they felt preformed the best or was most entertaining (which will always be the aggressor in reality).

Being honest, most people attending this are BJJ aficionados so it would be an interesting concept to try at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I don't like the current system as you can have someone wait out a draw.

EBI rules are good but I would love something like an audience voting system. At the end of the match, and if its a draw, then people get to vote for who they felt preformed the best or was most entertaining (which will always be the aggressor in reality).

Being honest, most people attending this are BJJ aficionados so it would be an interesting concept to try at least.

I like the EBI rules a lot, especially at the actual EBI event when there is cash incentive for submissions.

Problem with something like audience voting, is 99% of the people there are just friends and teammates. Even referees at the big ibjjf events are connected at some level to some competitors by school affiliation or whatever.

Funnily enogh, the addition of points to a match, as in an ibjjf match - can actually encourage the submission more. If i am behind on points i HAVE to work, if i am losing in a sub only match - i can try not to lose, instead of pushing for a finish. Something ive definitely seen happen plenty of times before.

Problem with something like audience voting, is 99% of the people there are just friends and teammates. Even referees at the big ibjjf events are connected at some level to some competitors by school affiliation or whatever.
    I would disagree that 99% are friends / teammates.. obviously there would be a portion that is, but they would cancel each other out (in most cases anyhow) and the non-biased bjj fans or people affiliated to other fighters on the card would be essentially making the decision.

I just think its an interesting alternative and something unique that would encourage an exciting fight and stop competitors holding out for a draw.

Chris89 wrote: »
    Funnily enogh, the addition of points to a match, as in an ibjjf match - can actually encourage the submission more. If i am behind on points i HAVE to work, if i am losing in a sub only match - i can try not to lose, instead of pushing for a finish. Something ive definitely seen happen plenty of times before.
    For every time a guy pushes for the sub because he is behind, another guy holds back because he is winning.
    Points can both encourage, and discourage the sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Does anyone know of a gym where they do daytime jiu jitsu classes in Dublin city Centre or Ashbourne? Looking to start training but work schedule seems to get In the way!

Advertisement