Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Mummies From Hell" parked outside Cork School of Music

Options
  • 09-02-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

This has been going on for years but I have decided to start a thread here now to see if I am over-reacting to something that annoys the sh1t out of me.

My daughter is a student in Cork School of Music (on Union Quay) and I drop and collect her there a couple of times a week. I stop at the school for 2 or 3 seconds, she gets out of (or into) the car and I drive on. Everything works fine, no other driver is delayed for more than a couple of seconds and I have no problem with any other parent doing the same thing. If my daughter is not ready when I arrive at CSM, I park in a spot (if possible) or drive around the block until she appears.

What annoys me is the "Mummies From Hell" (yes, it's always women) who, when little Jemima is not there when they arrive at CSM, will happily park on the road, right outside the school, until they appear. This could easily be for 5 or 10 minutes or more! They block the road, even though there could be a parking space available 50 yards down the quay. Obviously, this isn't too bad if the road is quiet and you can get around them quickly but if there is traffic coming the other way, you're stuck. If it's raining you can often get 2 or 3 of these women in convoy right outside the school (can't have their angel getting wet!) and it becomes impossible to get past. It's very annoying!

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It is not just the CSM. It is like that outside every school.

But to be honest it is actually some of the fathers are the worst offenders (I am one by the way...a father not a worst offender :-) ) at the school I drop to and collect from every so often. One of them parks right across a pedestrian crossing every day so the kids actually have to go around him to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Happens everywhere so fecking annoying people just have no cop on.

I park in a car park and there is only one way in and one way out.. There is a grinds place on the road and the amount of times you drive out and there are yes MUMS parked in the middle of the entrance either letting out or collecting their Kids.. I blew the horn at one lady as she could have tucked the car in properly she was all oohhh im just waiting for my child..Im like do I look like I care sorry but common courtesy..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I park in a car park and there is only one way in and one way out.. There is a grinds place on the road and the amount of times you drive out and there are yes MUMS parked in the middle of the entrance either letting out or collecting their Kids.. I blew the horn at one lady as she could have tucked the car in properly she was all oohhh im just waiting for my child..Im like do I look like I care sorry but common courtesy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Former pupil of the school of music here.

That hassle has been going on since I was a child., 20 - 30 years at least. Almost impossible to park for pickups, and there is no bus-stop on the damn road either from what I remember. I would get dropped in with a friend after school (age about 7 or 8) with my school bag, my music bag, and an instrument. instrument Lesson, aural theory, maybe orchestra, and then be coming out hauling all those bags around, looking for my mam or dad in the pissing rain, in the dark of winter. Some gob****e would have blocked up the whole road. No mobile phone (back then). Access is a complete pain there.

I wish to goodness the school of music itself would sort it out. My own aren't old enough for it, but it really puts me off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In situations like this you would think that Schools would circulate a leaflet about a parking system that will work better for everyone.

They (the parents )can't be that hard to educate ? ?. If they are it sure is not going to be easy to get through to the children.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In situations like this you would think that Schools would circulate a leaflet about a parking system that will work better for everyone.

They (the parents )can't be that hard to educate ? ?. If they are it sure is not going to be easy to get through to the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

drivers are assholes when it comes to consideration for others. Cyclists, pedestrians, other drivers, doesnt matter a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

CSM is particularly bad as with cars parked both sides of the road its narrow enough at the best of times (especially on the bend just before the entrance). I have 5 drop offs a week & 5 collections, so its very frustrating to see these people sitting there. If mine aren't standing on the doorstep & I cant find parking, I just go around the block rather than wait.

They did put in a 'drop off' area, but that's just used for parking as far as I can see & they also lost space with the Coke bike rack.

Gardaí aren't best pleased as its a route for the prison vans, but enforcement doesn't seem great. In fairness, pretty dumb place to locate a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Eliteism at it's finest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Happens at most schools. So obsessed are these people with the "safety" of their own children that they are happy to see other children dodge parked cars, have to walk on the road due to blocked up footpaths, etc.
    No consideration for other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Milly33 wrote: »

Oh, they know exactly what they're doing - it's not a matter of stupidity.
    blinding wrote: »

Not CSM's problem, imo. The people parking there know they are doing wrong and p1ssing people off but they are happy to brazen it out. What is needed is not a parking system but a guard or traffic warden there once in a while giving out tickets. That would sort the problem out pretty fast!
    Andip wrote: »
    They did put in a 'drop off' area, but that's just used for parking as far as I can see & they also lost space with the Coke bike rack.

Gardaí aren't best pleased as its a route for the prison vans, but enforcement doesn't seem great. In fairness, pretty dumb place to locate a school.

I thought the drop-off area might work well but it is basically just used as a parking space for those mummies who wait outside (usually on their Kindle) for their child's entire lesson! No enforcement.

I don't see anything wrong with the school's positioning. I have been going there for years and the double-parking mummies is the only problem I have encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I thought there was an accident or something holding up the city last week, but it was mummies parking in the bus lane outside St Oliver's (the Pres primary school). Unreal. 4x4's out in the middle of the road, some actually unattended. Cops should clean house there once a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

No consideration for other people.

That about sums up the general attitude of swathes of drivers in Cork these days and is the root cause of plenty of crashes and injuries.

Cars pulled up outside schools, parked on footpaths, parked illegally, dangerous lane movement, driving in overtaking lanes... Mainly down to ignorance.

I do definitely have some sympathy for the people waiting around there. There are not many facilities like it dotted around the county, and parents drive from all over the county to get children in. They have nothing else to do for the hour, except wait. It's a bit of a godawful way to spend a few hours, I don't begrudge them pulling out a book (or maybe even a Kindle!).

And as for it being in the wrong place... it's there since ~1880 ffs. I doubt they forsaw 4x4's.

Schools (not this one ever though!) used to have lollipop ladies, or someone who had an eye for the safety of children around traffic. Where did they all go? Because that is all it takes... Someone with a bit of authority, doing some directing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Happens at all schools. We live very near a girls secondary school and it makes me so sad to think there are so many handicapped teenaged girls in our area. Otherwise it doesn't make sense as to why each and every one of them has to be dropped off right in front of the entrance. Surely they could walk a few dozen feet if they were able to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Theres a page on facebook called "you park like a "cnut" Cork"
    Theres loads of pics like these put up, full reg plate on display. Name and shame is the only way. Somebody always recognises the car/reg and tells the owner, altho id imagine soke people really dont care.
    You dont even have to upload the pics yourself, send them via pm and the admins will put them up for you.
    Might be worth trying it for the repeat offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

.red. wrote: »
    Theres a page on facebook called "you park like a "cnut" Cork"
    Theres loads of pics like these put up, full reg plate on display. Name and shame is the only way. Somebody always recognises the car/reg and tells the owner, altho id imagine soke people really dont care.
    You dont even have to upload the pics yourself, send them via pm and the admins will put them up for you.
    Might be worth trying it for the repeat offenders.

Why would anyone bother there ass taking a photo and putting it up on that site:confused: life,s to sort lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

farmerjj wrote: »
    Why would anyone bother there ass taking a photo and putting it up on that site:confused: life,s to sort lads.

Its a way of venting i suppose, just like why would anybody bother there ass starting a topic here about it? Is it gonna change the situation.
    Naming and shaming works, as long as word gets back to the car owner that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pwurple wrote: »
    I do definitely have some sympathy for the people waiting around there. There are not many facilities like it dotted around the county, and parents drive from all over the county to get children in. They have nothing else to do for the hour, except wait. It's a bit of a godawful way to spend a few hours, I don't begrudge them pulling out a book (or maybe even a Kindle!).

And as for it being in the wrong place... it's there since ~1880 ffs. I doubt they forsaw 4x4's.

Schools (not this one ever though!) used to have lollipop ladies, or someone who had an eye for the safety of children around traffic. Where did they all go? Because that is all it takes... Someone with a bit of authority, doing some directing.

There are dozens of places to park in Cork City and the school of music is 5 minutes walk to the city centre. It's hardly a case of "nothing to do". You don't have to sit and wait in the car for hours.

I don't have any bloody sympathy for them! I have seen (loads of times!) people double-parked across from the entrance and blocking traffic, even though there are 2 or 3 parking spaces available 50-80 yards down the quay - it's infuriating!

BTW, I have no problem with anybody reading for an hour or two - just not while double-parked outside CSM or parked in the set-down area!!

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    There are dozens of places to park in Cork City and the school of music is 5 minutes walk to the city centre. It's hardly a case of "nothing to do". You don't have to sit and wait in the car for hours.

So they should go spend some money they don't have is it? Or go for a walk in the rain and wind. What does it matter what they do in their own car?

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I don't have any bloody sympathy for them! I have seen (loads of times!) people double-parked across from the entrance and blocking traffic, even though there are 2 or 3 parking spaces available 50-80 yards down the quay - it's infuriating!

BTW, I have no problem with anybody reading for an hour or two - just not while double-parked outside CSM or parked in the set-down area!!

I have no tolerance for people double parking, parking illegally, or in handicapped spaces etc. That is completely out of order and I said fairly clearly that it should be policed by someone, and suggested bringing back the lollipop ladies. Or something like up at the airport where people get moved on. But if they are parked legally, reading a book... pfft, get over it.

This pejorative use of the word "Mummies" and sneering about elitism is just obnoxious. Parents are bringing the children to a school to get an education, trying to do the best for them.

Yes, they should park properly and that should be enforced. CSM need to pay a security guard. Naming and shaming websites are completely pointless. Get a professional to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

farmerjj wrote: »

Probably the same people who'd go in a forum to post stuff. telling people life's too short to post stuff.... It's passing you by jj.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

So they should go spend some money they don't have is it? Or go for a walk in the rain and wind. What does it matter what they do in their own car?

I have no tolerance for people double parking, parking illegally, or in handicapped spaces etc.

Not at all, I don't care either as long as they are parked legally. I thought you were referring to the drivers who have to wait for a parking space and double-parking in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Eliteism at it's finest!

What's elitism got to do with bad parking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Andip wrote: »
    What's elitism got to do with bad parking

careless parking, inconsiderate to fellow motorists...my time is more important than yours because...I'm worth it ;)

careless parking, inconsiderate to fellow motorists...my time is more important than yours because...I'm worth it ;)

Yeah, certainly a large element of arrogance and entitlement involved. As I (kind of) said in my OP: "My little Jemima couldn't POSSIBLY walk 50 yards in the gentle drizzle to get to the S-Max/XC70/Zafira!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Uh......yeah. That's life. God forbid they'd have to walk a bit to avoid blocking the fuccking road!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'd say the elitism comment was more related to it being about the school of music. I bet the same accusation wouldn't be made of gaa heads parking everywhere when it suits them but it is the same attitude. Ignorance more than elitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ludo wrote: »
    I'd say the elitism comment was more related to it being about the school of music. I bet the same accusation wouldn't be made of gaa heads parking everywhere when it suits them but it is the same attitude. Ignorance more than elitism.

ah now Ludo, just because you weren't picked for that U-10 team all those years ago...let it go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Ludo wrote: »

I find the two usually go hand in hand.

Advertisement