Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Mummies From Hell" parked outside Cork School of Music

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

thefloss wrote: »
    I thought there was an accident or something holding up the city last week, but it was mummies parking in the bus lane outside St Oliver's (the Pres primary school). Unreal. 4x4's out in the middle of the road, some actually unattended. Cops should clean house there once a month

I was walking along that street one time when the school was near closing time. There was a truck doing roadworks in the right hand lane. There were no car spaces left so cars were stopping beside the parked cars in the bus lane. One car decided to do the same further up near the truck. However no one could overtake as there was no room. Cars started beeping and one of the workman was shouting at him to move on. He eventually did move after a few words with the workmen. But did a driver really need cars beeping at him and people shouting at him to see that there was no room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I find the two usually go hand in hand.

Yes, everyone knows heroin addicts are salt of the earth types, while children who play piano are the real gits.

Get over your chip. Bitterness is a very ugly trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Not in cork but at my daughters school if you double park or block the pedestrian crossing the lollipop man will take your reg and report you to the gardai and they will call out to you. Very effective deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, everyone knows heroin addicts are salt of the earth types, while children who play piano are the real gits.

What? How did heroin addicts get into the conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Can't say I've ever had any issues with heroin addicts. Let's leave the children out of this and get back to the thread topic the drivers of these cars who feel it is their right to block up a busy street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Where there is a school of any kind there is inconsiderate behaviour.

People parking in disabled spots.

People double parking.

People parking arseways.

People stopping in the middle of the road to drop their kid off holding up traffic.

People pulling out without looking.

People speeding up when they see the lollipop person in case they have to stop.

Whatever about primary schools I cannot understand why perfectly capable teenagers need to be picked up as close to the door of the school as possible. Yes some live far away and need to be picked up and dropped off but the vast majority could bus it or walk. My own teen does and the odd time I do collect her I arrange to meet her a bit away from the school where I'm not in the way or have to deal with the parking mess !

Usually I have patience but if I have pms all patience goes out the window.

The south mall which has no school is just as bad. Hate driving down there.

Tesco car park is also very annoying - the big crawl to get a space on the first floor when there are piles of them on the next two floors.

Can't say I've ever had any issues with heroin addicts. Let's leave the children out of this and get back to the thread topic the drivers of these cars who feel it is their right to block up a busy street.

Count yourself lucky, the addicts that hung out near us burnt out our cars and our neighbours (three times), and dumped their used needles into the patch of grass in the park for toddlers to play with. The very opposite of "Elites" but they certainly displayed a sizable amount of ignorance. Didn't spot them in the CSM at orchestra practice, god only knows what they would have been getting up to if they turned to the dark side of the viola.

And It's children in those cars, so I think we should possibly consider them. :confused:

The problem is the lack of traffic management. Same problem for the last 30 years, i've heard this over and over again, every couple of years. All the tut-tuting and wringing of hands doesn't do a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Deer wrote: »

Usually I have patience but if I have pms all patience goes out the window.
    I was wondering why you hated recieving pm's so much and then the penny dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

.red. wrote: »
    I was wondering why you hated recieving pm's so much and then the penny dropped.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

.red. wrote:

Lol nobody loves me enough to pm me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

The problem is the lack of traffic management. Same problem for the last 30 years, i've heard this over and over again, every couple of years. All the tut-tuting and wringing of hands doesn't do a thing.

I'm going to say it for the last time: The problem is NOT the lack of traffic management, the problem is arseh0les double-parking right outside the front door of CSM! If they stopped doing that, there would be no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

blinding wrote: »
    In situations like this you would think that Schools would circulate a leaflet about a parking system that will work better for everyone.

They (the parents )can't be that hard to educate ? ?. If they are it sure is not going to be easy to get through to the children.

I'm afraid it doesn't matter a hoot what the school says. Parents know perfectly well that they shouldn't 'park' in the middle of the road (on a bend to make it worse) and delay everybody but what needs to happen is that the guards need to come around (the corner from Union Quay) and give them penalty points. That would cure the problem.

Sadly, I have to agree that the Mums are the worst offenders outside CSM, just like the many Mums in their people carriers I have seen in the past few years, yapping incessantly on their mobile phones, while driving. It is infuriating. (Mind you, I'm not generalising. I've seen men at it as well but from what I see, women are definitely worse).

Unfortunately, there are those who don't want their children walking more than 20 metres. Gone are the days when you parked a distance away and let your child walk (heaven forbid). No. It's much better to block the road outside CSM and to hell with those you are inconveniencing behind you.

Sorry for the rant but to the O.P., you are not being unreasonble. You are perfectly correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I'm going to say it for the last time: The problem is NOT the lack of traffic management, the problem is arseh0les double-parking right outside the front door of CSM! If they stopped doing that, there would be no problem!
    Nail on head impounding of vehicles or on the spot fines is the only traffic management Cork eliite will understand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nail on head impounding of vehicles or on the spot fines is the only traffic management Cork eliite will understand

In fairness I agree with you but wtf are you on about with your elite comments. You sound like a sf voter.

byronbay2 wrote: »

And tell me how exactly do you stop people doing it without active management?

Moaning loader?

Or maybe someone there throwing out a few fines and moving peope on. (also known as traffic management)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

And tell me how exactly do you stop people doing it without active management?

Moaning loader?

Or maybe someone there throwing out a few fines and moving peope on. (also known as traffic management)

That's a solution. The cause of the problem are the people who park illegally, to be pedantic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Happens at all schools. We live very near a girls secondary school and it makes me so sad to think there are so many handicapped teenaged girls in our area. Otherwise it doesn't make sense as to why each and every one of them has to be dropped off right in front of the entrance. Surely they could walk a few dozen feet if they were able to?

Some parents would drive into the door of the classroom if they could!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

ah now Ludo, just because you weren't picked for that U-10 team all those years ago...let it go ;)

Sorry lads I'm late back to the party, I was double parked for a couple of weeks lol, run_forrest & Ludo both valid.

The basic prob here is you don't want your kids hanging around the Quay in the dark and parking is woeful. I don't agree with double parking but I have three kids in CSM and between practice, musicianship & orchestra I'm there 5 days a week - it's just a very bad spot. I've been on the parents association for CSM for a few years and it's always on the agenda but Garda controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Andip wrote: »
    Sorry lads I'm late back to the party, I was double parked for a couple of weeks lol, run_forrest & Ludo both valid.

The basic prob here is you don't want your kids hanging around the Quay in the dark and parking is woeful. I don't agree with double parking but I have three kids in CSM and between practice, musicianship & orchestra I'm there 5 days a week - it's just a very bad spot. I've been on the parents association for CSM for a few years and it's always on the agenda but Garda controlled.

Couldn't the parents find a proper parking spot and then walk to the entrance of the school and meet their children at the door?

Couldn't the parents find a proper parking spot and then walk to the entrance of the school and meet their children at the door?

There is not enough parking for that...

And so the circle continues.

Andip, could a private lollipop lady or security guard be hired to ferry children across roads or corral them in a bus-shelter type area? I couldn't see the gardai objecting to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Milly33 wrote: »
    I park in a car park and there is only one way in and one way out.. There is a grinds place on the road and the amount of times you drive out and there are yes MUMS parked in the middle of the entrance either letting out or collecting their Kids.. I blew the horn at one lady as she could have tucked the car in properly she was all oohhh im just waiting for my child.
    The best answer to this is 'Now we're ALL waiting for YOUR child, thanks to your inconsiderate parking'
    Andip wrote: »
    they also lost space with the Coke bike rack.
    You meant to say that they gained an alternative way for people to travel to/from the school without having to block up the roads with 4x4s, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I started a thread like this couple of years back and it was locked as it was deemed sexist, even though I am not sexist and I was merely stating the facts that it was mostly women that were parking in the "do not park here" hash box outside the school as it was a safety measure.

Don't know why ANYONE does it when it was there to improve the safety for all children. Some people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pete4pool

And so the circle continues.

What you really mean is that there is not a parking space within 10 yerds of the school. If you drive around, you will find a space, it maybe on south terrace or douglas street but it is proper parking.

People park here outside the door which is on a corner and the narrowest section of the street. It is the most arrogant act I see on a daily basis.

I pick my son up from a creche in city hall and will drive around for up to 15 minutes to get a parking space rather than leave my car on the street disrupting traffic.

If the parents really cared they you get CSM to get on to CCC and remove the parking spaces and make them "loading zones". Would solve problem. Cars shouldn't be allowed park on corners any way.

pete4pool wrote: »
    What you really mean is that there is not a parking space within 10 yerds of the school. If you drive around, you will find a space, it maybe on south terrace or douglas street but it is proper parking.

Douglas street? I don't know if you're thinking of the right place... south terrace I can never get parking on when I'm doing a hospital drop off. Douglas street is a good bit away from CSM, and a narrow difficult to street to find parking on also.

14b6w7b.jpg

pete4pool wrote: »
    If the parents really cared they you get CSM to get on to CCC and remove the parking spaces and make them "loading zones". Would solve problem. Cars shouldn't be allowed park on corners any way.

Yes, loading zones in front of a covered shelter, with (optional extra) some kind of security on it.

There is absolutely LOADS of parking within 200m (3 minute walk) of the front door of CSM. I can't remember ever driving down the length of Union Quay (from Copley Street to L'Attitude) when there was no parking space available!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Douglas street? I don't know if you're thinking of the right place... south terrace I can never get parking on when I'm doing a hospital drop off. Douglas street is a good bit away from CSM, and a narrow difficult to street to find parking on also.

Get up outta that, it's a 5 min walk, max!

There's parking closer than Douglas street (Douglas street itself wouldn't be the greatest, but there's spots around that area).

Get up outta that, it's a 5 min walk, max!

There's parking closer than Douglas street (Douglas street itself wouldn't be the greatest, but there's spots around that area).

I don't know how often you walk around with children to anything, but they don't go very fast. :p

I also remember my very frazzled mother, picking up me from one school at one time, my siblings from other schools, (some primary, some secondary, some girls some boys) all with different times, dropping me to CSM, a brother to some sport, coming back for me, going back for them. Timings were tight. If you have more than one child, and they do anything outside of Go to School -> walk home on their own and stay there, you're going to run into some tight logistics at some stage.

So, I was dropped near the door and booted in there, and the same for collection... I stood at the door til I saw her.

Yes, it's first world problems, lucky us getting an education instead of down the coal-mines in china, but I think it's unreasonable to expect an 8 year old carrying 8kg of equipment/instrument which acts as a sail, and another few kg of school books to walk at any reasonable speed in Irish weather in the dark (it's dark around 4:30pm in the winter, ie, the school term).

A big drop-off area (not parking zone!) near the door makes sense for everyone. The children, the parents, the other motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

A big drop-off area (not parking zone!) near the door makes sense for everyone. The children, the parents, the other motorists.

Sorry, but why would we be devoting public space to storage of private property? If a business like this relies on space for drivers, then they need to provide and pay for that space.

I don't know how often you walk around with children to anything, but they don't go very fast. :p

I also remember my very frazzled mother, picking up me from one school at one time, my siblings from other schools, (some primary, some secondary, some girls some boys) all with different times, dropping me to CSM, a brother to some sport, coming back for me, going back for them. Timings were tight. If you have more than one child, and they do anything outside of Go to School -> walk home on their own and stay there, you're going to run into some tight logistics at some stage.

So, I was dropped near the door and booted in there, and the same for collection... I stood at the door til I saw her.

Yes, it's first world problems, lucky us getting an education instead of down the coal-mines in china, but I think it's unreasonable to expect an 8 year old carrying 8kg of equipment/instrument which acts as a sail, and another few kg of school books to walk at any reasonable speed in Irish weather in the dark (it's dark around 4:30pm in the winter, ie, the school term).

I think you're missing the entire point of the thread - please read the OP. I explicitly said that I had no problem with people dropping children at the door (I even admitted to doing it myself!) and collecting them in a similar manner. The problem is people PARKING on the road outside the door until their child appears, often for substantial periods, even though there are parking spaces available relatively nearby. I'm sure your dear old mum had a hard station with you and your siblings but she seems to have managed without committing the "crime" to which I'm referring and so is irrelevant to this discussion!

• Advertisement
Advertisement