Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you pay your childminder when you take holidays?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Can't wait for the "My unemployed, welfare claiming, non-tax-compliant, non-Garda vetted, non-professionally insured, non-qualified, part time casual ex-childminder is taking me to court for unfair dismissal" thread!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Trouble is you can be brought to court for it. No benefit to grumbling that their ducks are not in a row when you are skirting the law yourself. Not exactly the best defense. 'Sure she broke the law too!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Trouble is you can be brought to court for it. No benefit to grumbling that their ducks are not in a row when you are skirting the law yourself. Not exactly the best defense. 'Sure she broke the law too!'

I don't believe OP is breaking the law as the children are minded in the childminders house. Completely up to the childminder to do their tax in this circumstance. It's only up to the OP to be tax compliant if the childminder is minding the children in OPs house. OPs in the clear here.

OP I would find a different childminder. I'd be pretty annoyed if my childminder was making these demands if its only a part time casual arrangement. I would only consider these demands if I was extremely impressed with her childminding skills and thought the arrangement was really benefitting my children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Our kids are part time and While it's not the same days there is a pattern each week. From the start the childminder said if a bank hol fell on a day they were due to be there then we should pay her, we also should pay if we decide not to send the child(hols/sick etc) but if she takes hols or is sick then we don't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

My daughter is with a minder 3 days per week. The fee is a daily rate agreed at the begining. At the very outset I asked what the situation was re: holidays (for her and for me) and sick days, etc.
    We agreed that she takes X amount of days per year and some of those are established such as at Christmas. She takes 10 days in the summer and will give me a months notice when these are booked but are generally expected to be within a certain 2 week period. There are a remaining 5 days (so 20 days taken in all) and she will always give a weeks notice at least when taking a day off.
    We don't pay her for these 20 days.
    If I take holidays I pay for the time my child would be there e.g. we're off to Lanzarote the last week in February and I will pay for the 3 days that my child would ordinarily be there. I have no problem with that as it is my decision to take her away.
    Last week both of us were sick and I only had my daughter there one of the days but I still paid for all 3.
    I am delighted with the arrangement we have. The minder is great and my child is really happy to go there and is thriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WannaBbride

Thanks for all the replies. I guess Im annoyed as it wasnt the agreement we made at the outset. Thinking about it yesterday I took a week off last Oct and there was no mention of her getting paid for that week so she really has just decided to change the terms without any warning or discussion with me in person.

I think I will just have to suck it up. The kids are happy there and I have no issue with her personally or with how she cares for my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WannaBbride

Thanks for all the replies. I guess Im annoyed as it wasnt the agreement we made at the outset. Thinking about it yesterday I took a week off last Oct and there was no mention of her getting paid for that week so she really has just decided to change the terms without any warning or discussion with me in person.

I think I will just have to suck it up. The kids are happy there and I have no issue with her personally or with how she cares for my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

A lack of clarity can all too often lead to trouble through assumptions and misunderstandings.
    When I was picking a minder one of the things that I really liked about the lady I went for was that she had a clear written agreement for both of us to sign. It covered off the details around holidays, payment, emergency contacts, allergies, etc. Anything that needed clarification was discussed there and then before signing.

The funny thing is that there can still be problems. The mum of one of the other children is a school teacher and now she is objecting to having to pay for her child when she is off on mid term, etc. She hasn't got a leg to stand on as things were sorted out before her child started there and I think she has quite a cheek to try to undo things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Why would you suck it up? This wasn't originally agreed, a time period has passed where you took holidays and she didn't ask for payment. As you said yourself she is paid cash in hand and is claiming the dole. I'd consider it if she was a registered, qualified, tax compliant, insurance compliant childminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Our childminder gets paid for days worked and not for days not worked. That is the cash-in-hand agreement. If people want to put on airs and make out like its anything else they need a swift sharp reality check. You want employment rights etc, pay your taxes, get your certs, get your vetting and THEN come back and talk about holiday pay!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

my mam minds our little girl and i pay her when she is on leave, i usually take holidays from work the same time obviously as I need to be there for our little one. It was never up for question both me and my husband get paid annual leave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I only pay my childminder per day.

If she has no days then she does not get paid.

Same as casual work contracts really.

But she does get well paid.

You need to make the terms very clear before you hire anyone so there is no conflict down the line.

Advertisement