Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the Chinese revolution

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Does baseball have a similar player movement?

Also, how does their league system work - like, in the MLS when players come over, part of that money comes from the league itself as it boosts the recognition of the league. Is there a central fund in Chinese football that's helping out with these big moves? or is it all just tycoon's funding their own team?

Would be interesting to see how Chinese football changes from your perspective over the next while since you're on the ground there.

I don't watch the league at all so I've no idea about it. I doubt I'll watch it now either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I don't watch the league at all so I've no idea about it. I doubt I'll watch it now either.

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds even just from a media point of view though, seeing if it picks up traction, what the local reaction is to all of this etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds even just from a media point of view though, seeing if it picks up traction, what the local reaction is to all of this etc.

Yeah it should generate interest, unfortunately there is no local team where I am so I won't see how the locals react

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yeah it should generate interest, unfortunately there is no local team where I am so I won't see how the locals react

I moved to Shanghai in the Autumn, so from a selfish point of view, I'm looking forward to getting to a game soon and seeing how these new arrivals settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Lavezzi signs for Hebei China Fortune, 1 report I read says the fee is €6 million, the other said £23.5 million sterling. Either way he is going to be earning about 30 million a year, not too shabby if you can get it, never realised Gervinho was playing there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Any idea where to buy one of these jerseys, love to get random football jerseys :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

astonaidan wrote: »
    Any idea where to buy one of these jerseys, love to get random football jerseys :o

I'd say you'd find plenty of them on aliexpress

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Heres a list of all "Foreign" players in the China Super league:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Chinese_Super_League_players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

nigh on impossible to turn down that kinda money id imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bit sad to see genuine quality players going to the league over there, the journeymen or close to retirement players are fair enough but someone who should be playing with a top team in the Champions League plying his trade in an isolated non-event league is disappointing to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Corholio wrote: »
    Bit sad to see genuine quality players going to the league over there, the journeymen or close to retirement players are fair enough but someone who should be playing with a top team in the Champions League plying his trade in an isolated non-event league is disappointing to see.

Very hard to turn down that sort of money regardless of how much you already have.Most of the players going over there seem to be from South America or Africa and not from Europe.I suspect players from poorer parts of the world there is a large expectation placed on them to look after on their families and thus they probably need the money more than players from Europe.

Very hard to turn down that sort of money regardless of how much you already have.Most of the players going over there seem to be from South America or Africa and not from Europe.I suspect players from poorer parts of the world there is a large expectation placed on them to look after on their families and thus they probably need the money more than players from Europe.

Oh the reasons they are going are for all to see of course, but I still think players have choices to make. It's sad to see them choose money first, especially those who would have still commanded a great wage in Europe but chose to put it ahead of their sporting career, which is what it boils down to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

nigh on impossible to turn down that kinda money id imagine

Yep its just impossible for players to turn that down. Football is a relatively short career and a season in china could set players for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They are finally signing some actual talent.

Bendtner not in Wolfsburg squad today rumoured to be heading to China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If they sign for the top 4 they can play in the Asian champions league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is the football in China televised in this part of the world? I think I've seen some of the Asian Champions League on Eurosport in the past but I don't recall seeing Chinese football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gerrards contract is up with LA in few months. Maybe he should go over for a mega payday. Move on a free with wages of 1m a week. Why not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh the reasons they are going are for all to see of course, but I still think players have choices to make. It's sad to see them choose money first, especially those who would have still commanded a great wage in Europe but chose to put it ahead of their sporting career, which is what it boils down to.

I suppose, as a fan, it's easy to prioritise success in terms of trophies or "big matches". As fans, we don't have a choice but to define a great career as one that involves playing in credible leagues.

For footballers though, it's probably "just a job"; they have ten years or so to make enough money to support themselves and their family for the 50-60 that follow it. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking "when I am 65, which is going to be more important; the fact I spent two years playing for X team in Europe or the fact I have an extra 10m in the bank".

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I suppose, as a fan, it's easy to prioritise success in terms of trophies or "big matches". As fans, we don't have a choice but to define a great career as one that involves playing in credible leagues.

For footballers though, it's probably "just a job"; they have ten years or so to make enough money to support themselves and their family for the 50-60 that follow it. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking "when I am 65, which is going to be more important; the fact I spent two years playing for X team in Europe or the fact I have an extra 10m in the bank".

Exactly of with them, all well and good saying every player should try get a move to a big club but I for one always say fair play to them for putting themselfs and their family ahead of what the public think.
    Asamoah Gyan always got critizized for moving to the middle east, but he scored like a lunatic and was treated like a God and got payed like one, Im not sure he cared if people say he should have stayed in Sunderland and the premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Exactly, we may think whatever we want about a guy like Gyan, initially heading off to the middle east for ridiculous money when he was gaining such a reputation in the premier league and then onto China where I assume he is now well up there as one of the highes paid players in the world, wiki have his salary as equivalent to 227,000pound sterling a week! How can you really blame a guy when sums like that are on the table?

At some point I'm sure you regret bits and pieces about your footballing legacy, but the overriding feeling I would have is how I did well by myself and my family, I made it so we never had to worry about money, nor very likely would our kids, even grandchildren have to worry about it and could set up generations off the back of my career, and considering how short a career in football is that is something to be very proud of.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

The thing is footballers are making so much money these days that its not the difference between a stable life and a very good life, it's the difference between a fantastic life and a fantastic life with more money in your account. It's fair enough if players want to do that, but whether they like it or not, sport is judged different than most 'jobs' and people can certainly have an opinion on a career path a player has taken. Most of these players going to China are players that already would never want for anything anyway.

The thing is footballers are making so much money these days that its not the difference between a stable life and a very good life, it's the difference between a fantastic life and a fantastic life with more money in your account. It's fair enough if players want to do that, but whether they like it or not, sport is judged different than most 'jobs' and people can certainly have an opinion on a career path a player has taken. Most of these players going to China are players that already would never want for anything anyway.

They might not want for anything, but their is a big difference between what Gyan would have earned at Sunderland than in the middle east and now China. Like the other poster said, this can set his family up for generations not just have a very comfortable life for himself, the difference per year he earns in China and UK is 10million, thats massive he earned 7million more per year in middle east, so he has earned about 35mill since leaving Sunderland well on his way to 55 mill more by end of his contract and thats on top of what he would have earned in England taking he was on 60 grand a week, I dont know about you but Id rather earn say 75 million than 20

They might not want for anything, but their is a big difference between what Gyan would have earned at Sunderland than in the middle east and now China. Like the other poster said, this can set his family up for generations not just have a very comfortable life for himself, the difference per year he earns in China and UK is 10million, thats massive he earned 7million more per year in middle east, so he has earned about 35mill since leaving Sunderland well on his way to 55 mill more by end of his contract and thats on top of what he would have earned in England taking he was on 60 grand a week, I dont know about you but Id rather earn say 75 million than 20

Of course there's a difference and Gyan is a slightly different case perhaps because he wouldn't have been on massive anyway, but I'm sure the likes of Lavezzi and Martinez were on fairly big wages at PSG and Atletico, not as much as China of course, but quite considerable nonetheless. Of course they may want more, but for them to completely disregard one half of why players may play the game, ambition, and opt completely for the other is just a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think there's more potential in the Chinese league than there is in say the MLS. Theres a saturation of professional sport in America so it will always be limited but that's not the case in China.
    If there is a concerted effort to invest heavily in marquee players crowds will inevitably increase and so will it's reputation. In this transfer window alone they've signed better players than the MLS has managed over the last 10 years. They've paid a premium but they can obviously afford it. It will be very interesting to see if there's more big name signings in the summer.
    We aren't far off a situation in Europe where middle of the road players start earning in and around 500k a week, China are probably just 5 years ahead of that. I remember not too long ago (about 10 years ago or less) people were debating whether players should get 100k/week.

I think there's more potential in the Chinese league than there is in say the MLS. Theres a saturation of professional sport in America so it will always be limited but that's not the case in China.
    If there is a concerted effort to invest heavily in marquee players crowds will inevitably increase and so will it's reputation. In this transfer window alone they've signed better players than the MLS has managed over the last 10 years. They've paid a premium but they can obviously afford it. It will be very interesting to see if there's more big name signings in the summer.
    We aren't far off a situation in Europe where middle of the road players start earning in and around 500k a week, China are probably just 5 years ahead of that. I remember not too long ago (about 10 years ago or less) people were debating whether players should get 100k/week.

I think that's the big question really, if they can or not in the longer term. I'm yet to be convinced that signings a load of huge money players means there's more potential long term in the league. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the MLS but they are well run, we'll see how that goes in China.

I think that's the big question really, if they can or not in the longer term. I'm yet to be convinced that signings a load of huge money players means there's more potential long term in the league. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the MLS but they are well run, we'll see how that goes in China.

There's massive private investment in China so as long as the investors stick around they can afford it.
    As far as that goes Ambromivich or the Qataris at City and PSG could just easily decide to pull the plug in the morning.
    English clubs have made a concerted effort to grow their supporter bases in China so they see a clear potential.
    United and Liverpool aren't flogging themselves in Asia every summer for the fun of it.

There's massive private investment in China so as long as the investors stick around they can afford it.
    As far as that goes Ambromivich or the Qataris at City and PSG could just easily decide to pull the plug in the morning.
    English clubs have made a concerted effort to grow their supporter bases in China so they see a clear potential.
    United and Liverpool aren't flogging themselves in Asia every summer for the fun of it.

Definitely not, but part of the reason clubs in UK are so popular are because of the love for the western 'brand' from people there. If clubs in China can do that then great but they'll do it for different reasons. Any investment is risky, private or not, and with the way the government controls certain investments there, there's always the chance that such experiments can be curtailed. Sort of like a bigger version of Monaco.

Definitely not, but part of the reason clubs in UK are so popular are because of the love for the western 'brand' from people there. If clubs in China can do that then great but they'll do it for different reasons. Any investment is risky, private or not, and with the way the government controls certain investments there, there's always the chance that such experiments can be curtailed. Sort of like a bigger version of Monaco.

Every investment is risky but I would think the Chinese government are heavily involved in this as they are in all area of Chinese life.
    Time will tell I suppose. In fairness the Chinese league has an average attendance of 22k, the same as Serie A so it's not like it's starting from a low base.
    I think that brand has been built up in recent years by increased TV coverage and clubs visits.
    Theres no reason their clubs can't do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If the owners of Chelsea, or City, or PSG left, they would all be fine. They're all huge businesses in their own right that have massive revenue's. They likely wouldn't be able to keep throwing insane amounts of money at new players, but as going concerns, they'd be fine.

Could any of these Chinese teams support even close to this new setup if the plug was pulled?

The massive private investment you're talking about isn't a good thing. If it was a long term strategy with a central fund distributing the money in an intelligent fashion to grow the league intelligently, that would be one thing, but it's not. It's owners/investors throwing money into their own teams. Since only one team can win each year, that leaves a lot of disappointed owners down the line.

You're right, there's clearly potential there, but this looks like a dangerous way of going about trying to capitalize on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Are there any decent managers in China? Can't imagine it'll be long before there are a few over there with the money that's on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Well it depends on your definition of decent, but currently, Sven Goran Eriksson and big Phil Scolari are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Are there any decent managers in China? Can't imagine it'll be long before there are a few over there with the money that's on offer.

Sven and Scolari are anyways not sure who else but their must be a few, wouldnt be surprised to see a few up and coming managers actually get poached to go out their soon tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

If the owners of Chelsea, or City, or PSG left, they would all be fine. They're all huge businesses in their own right that have massive revenue's. They likely wouldn't be able to keep throwing insane amounts of money at new players, but as going concerns, they'd be fine.

Could any of these Chinese teams support even close to this new setup if the plug was pulled?

At the moment no, but surely you can see the flaw in that question? It's hardly fair to ask a league that is just over 10 years old if it has gained enough fans to sustain itself and then compare it to teams like Chelsea or PSG that have had so much longer to develop a fanbase prior to their takeovers. 30/40 years would be fairer time to ask. A football league is a very long term project and this investment will only speed progress rather than hinder it. It will still take twenty years at least in my opinion.

There's enough people in China to fill stadiums week in week out if it's marketed right. Biggest middle class in the world with little to no major sporting outlets. Basketball has grown in popularity but football has so many advantages over basketball due to its accessibility athletically for locals in China and the global presence it has.

I don't understand why people don't think China could sustain a league when it has a larger population than all of Europe, major investment from private businesses and little to no competition from other sports.

I think a lot of people have trouble comprehending that in the future, be it near (unlikely) or far, top tier club football probably won't be native to Europe. The only thing that could stop it in my opinion, would be political turmoil and civil war in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Sven and Scolari are anyways not sure who else but their must be a few, wouldnt be surprised to see a few up and coming managers actually get poached to go out their soon tbh

Marcelo Lippi managed Guangzhou, Jean Tigana managed Shanghai Shenhua, Batista (ex-Argentina manager) also coached Shenhua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was reading Mark Clattenburg is the next target for the Chinese league he was named best ref in the world this week at an awards thing in Dubai and it seems the Chinese want to clean up the league from on the take officials by bring top officials and football administrators to build up the league all round.

He could be on an nice little earner if he heads over there to be the head of the referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I was reading Mark Clattenburg is the next target for the Chinese league he was named best ref in the world this week at an awards thing in Dubai and it seems the Chinese want to clean up the league from on the take officials by bring top officials and football administrators to build up the league all round.

He could be on an nice little earner if he heads over there to be the head of the referees.

He'd be a foolish man not to I'd say. The money he could make in a couple of years and away from the hassle of reffing in the premier league would be a win win imo. Only downside I could think of what's the corruption in football like and how safe would you be as the man brought in to stamp it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He certainly didn't deserve the best ref in the world award after his face making at Pepe when he could have just done his job and booked him rather than putting on a performance for the cameras.

I think Mark Clattenburg potentially becoming a millionaire out of refereeing may well be the sign of an impending apocalpyse.

Only downside I could think of what's the corruption in football like and how safe would you be as the man brought in to stamp it out.

Couldn't be any more corrupt than FIFA/UEFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Couldn't be any more corrupt than FIFA/UEFA.

True but there was less chance of you being whacked by the head of FIFA than some Asian gangsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Tevez is the latest player to move to the Chinese league, and will reputedly earn a whopping £615K a week!!

I bet he's not homesick anymore.

Players in follow the money shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Referees now. what next fans? I will happily move and watch their league for bundles of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

kind of obscene really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rob316 wrote: »
    Referees now. what next fans? I will happily move and watch their league for bundles of cash.

Send them our barstools! And throw in Micheal Owen and Jamie's redknapp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hopefully they take Mike Dean, Martin Atkinson and Michael oliver to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sky sports saying a Chinese club have bid 256m for Ronaldo.

And that he'll be offered 85m a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mushy wrote: »
    Sky sports saying a Chinese club have bid 256m for Ronaldo.

And that he'll be offered 85m a year!

Cool story bro. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If half those figures was accurate, Madrid would be crazy not to sell him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement