Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the Chinese revolution

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I wonder will Fifa be able to have any input on this , Like implementing a financial fair play thing if this does balloon way out of control , Like we'll say 100 Million on a player (bale) is bad enough but when you're talking 300 million euro on a 31 year old (Ronaldo or not) thats taking the absolute piss

There is talk about cleaning up the transfer system but I dont think it will go far enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I wonder will Fifa be able to have any input on this , Like implementing a financial fair play thing if this does balloon way out of control , Like we'll say 100 Million on a player (bale) is bad enough but when you're talking 300 million euro on a 31 year old (Ronaldo or not) thats taking the absolute piss

There will always be ways around things like that. Didn't Man City receive massive money from Ethihad Airways for stadium sponsorship or some form of sponsorship and City's owners also own Ethihad Airways.

Just there way around owners only allowed to invest so much of their own money or that clubs can only spend money they make from income on certain stuff like transfers and wages.

I wonder will Fifa be able to have any input on this

FIFA?

There's lots of money involved so they'll be in the loop alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I absolutely love the outrage on here about all this!
    If the same money was being put into Man Utd or Liverpool lads on here would need a change of underwear on an hourly basis and it would be hailed as a return to the glory days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    FIFA?

There's lots of money involved so they'll be in the loop alright..

The chicken and the egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The papers are saying that Tevez' new club have a clause in his contract stipulating that he has to stay for a minimum of 2 years or else Boca have to repay them €41 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

China has increased their youth coaching budget by 200%. They are getting these big names in to get people talking (like we are now) and to inspire the generation that they are investing in. I will actually be disappointed if they don't become a good source of competition on the international stage eventually.

Also lots of jobs for English speaking coaches popping up so if I pass my UEFA B then I'll be thinking of heading there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

zerks wrote: »
    The papers are saying that Tevez' new club have a clause in his contract stipulating that he has to stay for a minimum of 2 years or else Boca have to repay them €41 million.

:D:D

Seems harsh considering Boca only got 11 million in the first place for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

a billionaire Chinese circus , holds little appeal to me - top players are already payed way too much - this will be a bubble for a few years and then burst - nothing against a good strong Chinese league for its many players that would have long term good . More money for the best players , I'm sure I'm not alone who couldn't give a rats.- football was meant as a game of the people.

thebaz wrote: »
    a billionaire Chinese circus , holds little appeal to me - top players are already payed way too much - this will be a bubble for a few years and then burst - nothing against a good strong Chinese league for its many players that would have long term good . More money for the best players , I'm sure I'm not alone who couldn't give a rats.- football was meant as a game of the people.

A fair few people in China to be fair..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There are heavy restrictions on moving money out of the China as far as I know, so let's say hypothetically you pay, I dunno £60M for an asset worth say £15M to someone used to handling hot money, a bit of creative accounting, a Swiss bank account or 2 later, and bobs your uncle, clean money whenever the regime changes and you have to cut stick.

That said, there is a market in Asia for a big league, given population etc. If the foundations are in place, a Chinese league could flourish, but I don't know if that is the case.

There is a lot of snobbery though, and calling players mercenaries for taking a chance and going is a bit rich. I agree on the contracts though, the likes of Wietsel would need to be offered 4 times the wages to go, as there is a fair chance he'll not see the end of the contract. A few oil rich Russian teams offered similar deals a few years ago, only for the wind to change and the deals were worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Axel Witsel has joined Tianjin Quanjian on €18 million per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

eagle eye wrote: »
    Axel Witsel has joined Tianjin Quanjian on €18 million per year.

Cannavaro is there manager so maybe its the draw to play for a former Ballon d'Or winner and not the money :p

Cannavaro is there manager so maybe its the draw to play for a former Ballon d'Or winner and not the money :p

He probably doesn't know Cannavaro is there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'm sure they'll "Wet their Beaks", to use a term coined by the Mafia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He actually said that the money is the reason and qualified that by saying that securing his families financial future is the most important thing to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There is rumours Shangai SIPG have offered 150m for Aubameyang & 800k a week.
    Madness if its true.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He actually said that the money is the reason and qualified that by saying that securing his families financial future is the most important thing to him.

Did he actually say that ? - as if he wouldn't earn eneogh to secure his family financially in Europe - greed will kill top level soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Did he actually say that ? - as if he wouldn't earn eneogh to secure his family financially in Europe - greed will kill top level soccer

Who wouldn't take up that offer? And for him to say it is about other than money would be embarrassingly disingenuous.

There's greed, and there's common sense. To turn down a 15 million a year wage rise would be sheer lunacy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Greed killed top level football long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

AdamD wrote: »
    Except the PL and Serie A were both already well established and had massive fan bases. But sure lets pretend this is the exact same because you dislike the PL.

The PL didn't exist before 1992, before that they'd had a huge hooligan problem in England and had been banned from European competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sure some would, but it'd be pretty minimal. Unless you have data to support your argument?

How many Spanish and Italians watch the EPL?

How many English tune into other leagues?

There must be a market, otherwise why do Sky and BT pay money to show La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue Un, along with MLS???

elefant wrote: »
    Who wouldn't take up that offer? And for him to say it is about other than money would be embarrassingly disingenuous.

There's greed, and there's common sense. To turn down a 15 million a year wage rise would be sheer lunacy.

some people would actually prefer to test themselves playing at the top level - not some cash cow circus of a league - 15 million a year , I'm off , enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

some people would actually prefer to test themselves playing at the top level - not some cash cow circus of a league - 15 million a year , I'm off , enjoy it

And some realise that their careers are short and could be over in a split second so the ability to earn is short and should be taken advantage of.

And some realise that their careers are short and could be over in a split second so the ability to earn is short and should be taken advantage of.

and he couldn't earn a decent wage at one of Europes top teams ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Greed killed top level football long ago.

Not updating the rules and allowing cheating to fester at the highest level has done more damage to the game than money.

Of course he could but if he can earn more somewhere else why should he not try.

If someone told me I could earn multiples of my current wage in a different location doing a less taxing job for a few years then I would do it to.

As I said sports careers are short, very short so if the opportunity to earn more is there then take it, we all would.

100k a year is a decent wage too to live comfortably on. I'm sure lots of IT workers would be happy doing their job for that and providing for their families.

How many would turn down a million a year to do the same job somewhere else for a couple of years?

elefant wrote: »
    100k a year is a decent wage too to live comfortably on. I'm sure lots of IT workers would be happy doing their job for that and providing for their families.

How many would turn down a million a year to do the same job somewhere else for a couple of years?

eh - is there not a difference between 15 mill a year and 100k a year ????
    - completely irrelevant - lets just agree to disagree

• Advertisement

eh - is there not a difference between 15 mill a year and 100k a year ????
    - completely irrelevant - lets just agree to disagree

3 million to 18 million.

vs.

100k to 1 million.

All are comfortable wages. If you would choose the lower amount out of love for a sport/job/company then fair play to you. But I don't think you can judge Axel Witsel for taking what many would consider the obvious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I find the snobbery about the moves players making there (it's so prevalent in UK media) a bit mental.

Talk about short memories. The Premier League essentially became the behemoth it is today from paying big wages to essentially retiring stars looking for a final payday. It was then built from there to start attracting more players in their prime and peak. But there has never been a period really where the absolute créme of world talent go to the Premier league in their prime or at the peak of their powers. And the ones that do, get paid astronomical money.

I just find it weird how there is some snobbery towards it, considering its the exact path the Premier league took to pull into the same heights as Serie A at the time.

That the likes of Oscar is moving there for big money, why not? A player that really only went in flashes of great quality, has found himself in and out of the Chelsea team and us unlikely to become a mainstay in a team in Europe challenging for top honours. Why not go to China and earn a nortical **** ton? And who knows, maybe it is enticing to some players to be a part of something starting.

Also see a benefit for some clubs siphoning off some deadwood to China, or even making phat bean of a star and being comfortable knowing its never coming back to bite in say a champions league or anything. Seen some rumours about bids for Rooney, would pack his bags for him and reinvest that money in major upgrades :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Those Chinese have definetly activated a Football Manager-esque all money cheat code.

I welcome there mental bids and crazy wages, it weeds out those willing to stay in Europe trying to win things versus those wanting an even bigger nest egg, not that they need it but I wuldnt begrudge anyone more money if an employer is willing to give it to them.

Elite players will stay at their clubs until such a time that they or either too old or surplus to requiremtns and then they might move to China.

The Chinese are trying to sign the highest profile players possible and they've done well enough in getting in, Hulk, Witsel, Oscar, Pelle, Ramires and thats just the players off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The Chinese are trying to sign the highest profile players possible and they've done well enough in getting in, Hulk, Witsel, Oscar, Pelle, Ramires and thats just the players off the top of my head.

How could you forget Tevez, the highest paid of them all (prob til next week) :D

And Lavezzi!

TheDoc wrote: »
    I find the snobbery about the moves players making there (it's so prevalent in UK media) a bit mental.

Talk about short memories. The Premier League essentially became the behemoth it is today from paying big wages to essentially retiring stars looking for a final payday. It was then built from there to start attracting more players in their prime and peak. But there has never been a period really where the absolute créme of world talent go to the Premier league in their prime or at the peak of their powers. And the ones that do, get paid astronomical money.

I just find it weird how there is some snobbery towards it, considering its the exact path the Premier league took to pull into the same heights as Serie A at the time.

That the likes of Oscar is moving there for big money, why not? A player that really only went in flashes of great quality, has found himself in and out of the Chelsea team and us unlikely to become a mainstay in a team in Europe challenging for top honours. Why not go to China and earn a nortical **** ton? And who knows, maybe it is enticing to some players to be a part of something starting.

Also see a benefit for some clubs siphoning off some deadwood to China, or even making phat bean of a star and being comfortable knowing its never coming back to bite in say a champions league or anything. Seen some rumours about bids for Rooney, would pack his bags for him and reinvest that money in major upgrades :D

English football is at the forefront of soccer since the first ball was kicked. Not the greatest example and has no relevancy to the point people are making with regard players moving to China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Another big money signing for the Chinese.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1377210-greenock-morton-goalkeeper-leaves-for-chinese-super-league/
    Greenock Morton goalkeeper Andy McNeil will leave the club to take up a coaching role in the Chinese Super League.

The 29-year-old will join Guangzhou R&F, where he will take up the position of reserve goalkeeping coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Why do some get so uppity about people lending any bit of criticism to players taking a massive wedge and heading off to China? I don't blame the players for doing it financially, but I'd think more of a player who didn't do it and went to a strong footballing team while still earning pretty big wages too it has to be said. Players in their mid 30's who are only wanted by name there really I don't blame really, but players still in their prime doing it I think it's fair to criticise from a footballing perspective, if not financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I remember Drogba and Anelka went over in about 2012 and werent paid for months, both ended up leaving on the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I've no problem with player going after the money but what I do wonder is what type of protections do the players have regarding their contracts? In Europe it is locked up tight, all the money guaranteed, can't just boot a player out and not pay him. Player 'X' snaps his ACL early into his contract will he still get paid or will they just rip up his contract and tell him good luck?

English football is at the forefront of soccer since the first ball was kicked. Not the greatest example and has no relevancy to the point people are making with regard players moving to China

England was a late comer to the biggest tournaments in the sport so it's nonsense to say they've been at the forefront from day one. Though the global spread of the game owes it's roots in part to English migrants, the football establishment in England deserves little credit for the current success of the sport.

Today English football is where it is today more because of money than anything else and China or any other country could replicate it's success if they throw enough money at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People just didn't start kicking a ball in China last year......

It has total relevancy, China are trying to promote and heighten the profile of their domestic league with clear intentions to be seen as one of the best leagues in the world.

It's relevant because it's similar to what England did with the Premier League name change in the early 90's.

It also has massive relevancy, because for a fair time, the only foreign players that moved to England were at the twilight of their career, and were being offered one last pay day.

Sure the English game wasn't a total non entity, but it had completely fallen away for the best part of a decade where England was not seen as a competitive or high quality league, in the widespread football community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

TheDoc wrote: »
    People just didn't start kicking a ball in China last year......

It has total relevancy, China are trying to promote and heighten the profile of their domestic league with clear intentions to be seen as one of the best leagues in the world.

It's relevant because it's similar to what England did with the Premier League name change in the early 90's.

It also has massive relevancy, because for a fair time, the only foreign players that moved to England were at the twilight of their career, and were being offered one last pay day.

Sure the English game wasn't a total non entity, but it had completely fallen away for the best part of a decade where England was not seen as a competitive or high quality league, in the widespread football community.

While I understand your point, you can't just dismiss the obvious disproportion of comparison. The English game may have fallen away for a period of time but the Chinese game has never been anywhere to have fallen away from in the first place. England has direct competitiveness, lower or higher, with those in Europe. Regardless of whether there was foreign players going to England or not, the standard, structure and history of English football was and is somewhere China can only dream of, and I'm sure they are aspiring to.

Corholio wrote: »
    Regardless of whether there was foreign players going to England or not, the standard, structure and history of English football was and is somewhere China can only dream of, and I'm sure they are aspiring to.

That sounds a lot like how English football viewed the rest of the soccer world until the 1950s.

The English leagues have always been first and foremost in the sphere of interest of ordinary Irish sports fans.

The shared culture, shared media and travel between Ireland and England has built that up over decades.

Regardless of how the English leagues were doing vis a vi European leagues in money and player pulling power Irish people primarily followed English teams, long before 1992.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

To be fair the Chinese did invent the first version of football.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35409594

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Now he will not only secure his families future but also his childerns family and his grand children's family.

Corholio wrote: »
    Why do some get so uppity about people lending any bit of criticism to players taking a massive wedge and heading off to China? I don't blame the players for doing it financially, but I'd think more of a player who didn't do it and went to a strong footballing team while still earning pretty big wages too it has to be said. Players in their mid 30's who are only wanted by name there really I don't blame really, but players still in their prime doing it I think it's fair to criticise from a footballing perspective, if not financially.

The "snobbery" and "begrudgery" arguments are ridiculous and have no relation to the point critics of those moving are making. But it suits the argument for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

To be fair the Chinese did invent the first version of football.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35409594
    should never have given it to the bloody foreigners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£400K a week after tax I'd have a bigger smile on my face.:D

https://twitter.com/oscar8/status/817666800448049152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Offering 30 million a year in wages for Diego Costa. Costa hasn't trained for last 3 days.

Transfer reportedly 80 million!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/819983748037046273

Yikes! I've had no problems with the level of player I'm seeing head off before now, but to see a first choice striker in his prime, and on track to win the PL, wanting to leave is really bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement