Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drivers illegal parking on O Connell street

• 09-02-2016 2:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Any notice always happening at the traffice at junction of o connell and sarsfield st.They park on the crossing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The sooner the taxis are removed from O'Connell Street the better.

Then again, the city needs taxis because it's got a very poor public transport system. And it's got a very poor public transport system because it's impossible to provide a decent one in a sprawling city.

The sooner the taxis are removed from O'Connell Street the better.

Then again, the city needs taxis because it's got a very poor public transport system. And it's got a very poor public transport system because it's impossible to provide a decent one in a sprawling city.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

bigpink wrote: »
    Any notice always happening at the traffice at junction of o connell and sarsfield st.They park on the crossing

Call the guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Treepole wrote: »
    Call the guards

The Gardai can't be arsed. I've seen the Gardai drive right by illegally parked taxi drivers on numerous occasions. The same with regular motorists illegally parked by the way. They just seem to not want to bother having to pull up and get them to move. The Gardai have also been seen to park illegally while they make a trip into a chipper and a shop or two around town, not to mind breaking red lights for no reason other than impatience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

On Friday I saw the Gardai pounce on a long line of illegally parked vehicles on William Street. The way the emerged by guineys at speed with their books was like they were planning on ticketing them fast so they couldn't all get away fast enough. There must have been 11 vehicles in a row in the right hand lane.

Everyone parked illegally. Taxis are more obvious though. I still remember the days of the Arthur's quay rank overflowing with taxis. None of them use it now.

They shouldn't be allowed by the bank of Ireland anyway because passengers have to enter from the road side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Pull up behind the taxi, lay hand on the horn and dont stop until they move. Its what they do if someone is parked in a rank :)

That's good to hear berty. I was stuck behind the Gardai one day in traffic on William street. The traffic was caused by cars illegally parked in the right hand lane and they did nothing about it. Hopefully they keep catching people there. An ambulance in an emergency could easily get stuck going up William street because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I noticed that too. If you put a pole between the lights and the rank, it would stop them.

I noticed that too. If you put a pole between the lights and the rank, it would stop them.

Actually it would cause more harm than good. Imagine William Street, to get into the very last spot you have to parallel park to get into it. Really what they should do is make the entire space from the Limerick Tourist Office to the Chicken hut a Taxi Rank.

Correct side of the road and in reality a waste of space. The bus stop is rarely used, there are only 3 spaces for parking and the rest is just badly abused double yellow lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Berty wrote: »
    Actually it would cause more harm than good. Imagine William Street, to get into the very last spot you have to parallel park to get into it. Really what they should do is make the entire space from the Limerick Tourist Office to the Chicken hut a Taxi Rank.

Correct side of the road and in reality a waste of space. The bus stop is rarely used, there are only 3 spaces for parking and the rest is just badly abused double yellow lines.

True and you also have the passenger door on the correct side of the street.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised you already made the point of it being on the correct side of the road! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Over the last two weeks in Limerick private cars parked in taxis ranks have been ticketed and towed by or on behalf of the gardai.

I would hope the gardai clamp down on the taxis parking on the street why queuing for space in their ranks. Probably a but harder to enforce ass they sit in their cars but at least move them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Do people think that William Street could conceivably become a single lane street without much congestion? It seems to be reduced to one lane so often and while it's really annoying, it's never really caused much of a delay for me.

If it was possible I'd love if a two way fully segrated bike lane was installed on the street, along with one running the length of O'Connell Street.

pigtown wrote: »
    Do people think that William Street could conceivably become a single lane street without much congestion? It seems to be reduced to one lane so often and while it's really annoying, it's never really caused much of a delay for me.

If it was possible I'd love if a two way fully segrated bike lane was installed on the street, along with one running the length of O'Connell Street.

I'm with you on that one. If not a two-way bike lane, then at least a contra-flow one.

I wonder what will happen when O'Connell Street is pedestrianised. It's not ideal, but a reasonable solution might be to make Henry street two-way again and route the traffic through the city along it. It's wide enough and could handle the volumes of traffic I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one. If not a two-way bike lane, then at least a contra-flow one.

I wonder what will happen when O'Connell Street is pedestrianised. It's not ideal, but a reasonable solution might be to make Henry street two-way again and route the traffic through the city along it. It's wide enough and could handle the volumes of traffic I reckon.

Henry St is backed up most mornings and evenings with traffic only going in one direction. How can it cope with the volumes that currently use O'Connell St.

Fwiw, I see no reason to fully pedestrian O'Connell St. What's the gain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The Gardai do seem to be tackling illegal parking in the city center. Hopefully they will address the taxis too. The illegal parking around Arthur's Quay drives me mad.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/693578866120642560

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/691041533945122818

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/691022930453663744

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

You could literally sit in a Garda car in Limerick, drive around for 2 hours and make an absolute killing in fines.

Jofspring wrote: »
    You could literally sit in a Garda car in Limerick, drive around for 2 hours and make an absolute killing in fines.

As a Garda friend in Traffic once told me is that if you had to drive a few miles and dealt with every infraction you'd not reach your destination until nearer or after your shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Buses double parking at Arthur Quays park can be a nuance as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Buses double parking at Arthur Quays park can be a nuance as well

Bus parking anywhere is a nuisance, double parking (one in bus stop, another outside it in the road lane) in UL is a common occurrence as is parking on the footpath down by the Arena - that being said, I don't know if that's a UL security or Gardaí issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

As a Garda friend in Traffic once told me is that if you had to drive a few miles and dealt with every infraction you'd not reach your destination until nearer or after your shift.

Is it not a matter of tackling the parking issue for a few months and re setting the expected standard within town. People park illegally because they get away with it. You could be surprised.. there could be a lot of repeat offenders... a social media campaign could easily make people aware that there is a crack down... but there are probably more urgent needs of gardai resources... and that is understandable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Maybe bring back traffic wardens? I know they were reviled but if you don't illegal park, you have nothing to worry about? There are plenty of suburban areas that are a nightmare too. There is a creche and a GP quite near my house and the parking around it is unreal and often makes the footpaths impassable. Bizarrely, even when there are numerous empty parking spaces right outside the GP's, some morons still park entirely on the opposite footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

iguana wrote: »
    There are plenty of suburban areas that are a nightmare too.

The Corbally Road since Hook & Ladder opened is awful. I once saw a car abandoned on the bridge. They are constantly blocking exits too. Not sure why a deal hasn't been made for O'Driscoll's to use their carpark.

The Dublin road where those two schools are by park road drives me nuts around school pick up and droppl off. Parents completely block the inbound lane and if any other driver is turning right onto park road then the whole inbound at rush hour becomes gridlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

The Dublin road where those two schools are by park road drives me nuts around school pick up and droppl off. Parents completely block the inbound lane and if any other driver is turning right onto park road then the whole inbound at rush hour becomes gridlocked.

St. Pat's - double parking, parking on the path, on yellow lines, interfering with traffic in the lanes, lack of indicators when pulling out.

Plenty of that near most schools - had the misfortune to drive by Monaleen primary one day at clocking off time recently enough, how someone hasn't been killed between the insanely dangerous parking and the parents throwing themselves and their kids in front of traffic with your kids, I'll never know.

Advertisement