Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zones not working on 12 year old HKC panel

Options
  • 09-02-2016 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine changed his windows before Christmas. He changed the sensors from brown to white to match new Windows. Two zones are not working and there is only one sensor on each. The sensors are HKC and are an exact match for the ones he replaced. I switched over the tamper wire (as this alarm has a tamper for each zone) but that didn't work. Installer can't remember engineer code. Is it time to upgrade panel? Is that what's causing them to open... Age related?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Chances are they might be wired incorrectly, not casting any aspirations mind.;)

Can you throw up a picture of the wiring at each please or alternatively describe how they were wired.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Also if they are HKC sensors check the arrow is pointing up.
    The engineer can't remember the engineer code?? Why doesn't he just reset it?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Also if they are HKC sensors check the arrow is pointing up.
    The engineer can't remember the engineer code?? Why doesn't he just reset it?

Arrows of course.....:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Very fussy those sensors.;)

KoolKid wrote: »
    Very fussy those sensors.;)

A lot to be said for the GS613's....a whole lot actually ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Its a straight 4 core from window to panel. I never checked the model number. To be honest I wasn't pushed on opening the panel without an engineer code. I'd say at a guess its a 8/12 model.
    The sensors look like they were installed the same way as the old ones as in mounted in the same direction etc. Will get back to take a look at them tomorrow evening. He's talking about upgrading the panel now but for the time being it would be nice to have his window working properly on the ground floor of his property. BTW I'll be recommending a registered alarm installer for the job.

GS613s would be my first choice also.

Check all the arrows on the sensor barrels. After that its a process of elimination to find which one is keeping the zone open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

bbability wrote: »
    Its a straight 4 core from window to panel. I never checked the model number. To be honest I wasn't pushed on opening the panel without an engineer code. I'd say at a guess its a 8/12 model.
    The sensors look like they were installed the same way as the old ones as in mounted in the same direction etc. Will get back to take a look at them tomorrow evening. He's talking about upgrading the panel now but for the time being it would be nice to have his window working properly on the ground floor of his property. BTW I'll be recommending a registered alarm installer for the job.

If it is a straight cable from panel to window I would disconnect this from the sensor first. If you then try set the alarm and it sets its an issue with the cable.
    If it shows open then you know its the wiring at the sensor thats the issue.
    You should not need the engineer code to replace a wired sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Are you sure they are the same sensors? Maybe the old ones the the reed swich and the new ones don't??

You need to disconnect the zone at the panel and measure the loop resistance.

Are the eol resistors still there?

If it's one sensor on each zone should be very straight forward to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Folks

just an update...

Its sorted. Arrows pointing in wrong direction.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Glad you got it sorted.
    Those sensors catch everyone out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

bbability wrote: »
    Folks

just an update...

Its sorted. Arrows pointing in wrong direction.

Thanks

Always the most common situation when people replace these sensors themselves :D

Advertisement