Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Bag, Tag & Drop, Customs

Options
  • 09-02-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Ok so I have a few questions in one here so please bear with me.

Traveling from Dublin to New York on the 15:50 flight. I like having loads of time to spare at airports getting through security, pre clearance etc so I can relax stress free, but the one item outside my control is checking in my luggage.
    I have asked Aer Lingus, email and phone, if there is a facility to check in the luggage at any time of the day or do I have to queue in a particular lane for a particular flight. The answers I received are vague.
    The guy on the phone told me I can check in the evening before between 4 & 8 pm but on researching that, it appears it's only applicable for early morning flights the next day.
    I really just want to get to the airport early drop the bags and move on. Is this possible?

I also posted a question in the Tax section but got no reply. I am bringing most of the photography gear and want to know if there is a system for declaring this on leaving the country so that there is evidence of ownership so I don't get nabbed by customs upon returning?

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks to all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The flight to N.Y. will have its own check in desk(s). Look up on the big board when you arrive & that will tell you what area/desk to go to. That is where you will also hand over your luggage. (Don't put valuable cameras into your checked bags btw.)

Just how early do you want to get there? Passengers for US bound flights are advised to get there 2 1/2 to 3 hrs before the flight.

I'm not aware of how you can declare your possessions before you go. Do u still have receipts, or credit card statements from when you bought the photography equipment, proving that you didn't buy it in the U.S? If you do, that would be enough to prove that you owned it before you left the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Emoyeni wrote: »
    The guy on the phone told me I can check in the evening before between 4 & 8 pm but on researching that, it appears it's only applicable for early morning flights the next day.
    I really just want to get to the airport early drop the bags and move on. Is this possible?

Not for an afternoon flight I'm afraid. The 'evening before' check-in applies to early morning flights the next day which means they are only holding the bags from evening to next morning......

If your flight departs Dublin Airport between 06:00-08:00 in the morning, you can check-in at the airport between 17:00-20:00 the evening before.

I sent them an e-mail back in September to point out that the start time is actually 16:00 as you correctly stated (and according to the signs at their check-in area) but they still haven't updated their website.

Aer Lingus recommend checking in for a US flight 3 1/2 hours before departure which suggests the check-in desk will be open at that stage and you can get rid of your bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Emoyeni

Thanks coylemj & ProudDUB.

I was hoping to get to the airport about 5 hours before the flight, ditch the bags and go - this might be too early/ambitious you think?

In relation to the gear, yes I have all the receipts etc I just thought there might be something like there is for US citizens leaving the US for example where customs log the model and serial numbers and stamp the sheet.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In relation to the gear, yes I have all the receipts etc I just thought there might be something like there is for US citizens leaving the US for example where customs log the model and serial numbers and stamp the sheet.

Uncle Sam only does immigration (passport check) when you're departing, none of that type of paperwork, it would only hold up the queues. Can't see what purpose it would serve.

If customs pulls you over in Shannon and you feel the need to prove that you did not buy the camera gear in the US on this trip then as ProudDub said above, bring the original receipts or the credit card statement from the time you bought the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks coylemj & ProudDUB.

I was hoping to get to the airport about 5 hours before the flight, ditch the bags and go - this might be too early/ambitious you think?

Thanks again.

Why on earth do you want to get to the airport at 10.30am for a 3.30pm flight? What do you plan on doing for 5 hours? I'm a big fan of getting to the airport very early for flights, but even I think that's a bit excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

For customs, there is a courtesy telephone to call them on the arrivals level in T2. Just follow the signs for customs queries. You can have a chat with them before you depart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I flew to the U.S. with aer lingus yesterday and don't remember the check in desks being separated into different flights? You can also check in at the machines or online and then just bring your bag to the bag drop desk which is the same for all flights. I'd imagine once the flight is that day they will take your bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Just take pictures of your individual equipment and receipts on your phone before you leave and then you have proof they are yours before leaving the country. Customs won't bother with you then

Advertisement