Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Re-Install ?

Options
  • 09-02-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi, I bought a used laptop for my daughter and the previous owner had upgraded to windows 10 but it obviously didn't install correctly and he lost the original windows 7 disc. How can I re-install windows 7 without having to buy it new ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jimbooth wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a used laptop for my daughter and the previous owner had upgraded to windows 10 but it obviously didn't install correctly and he lost the original windows 7 disc. How can I re-install windows 7 without having to buy it new ?

How did it "not install correctly"?

You can wipe everything on Windows 10 via the Window's Update menu...

To roll back to 7 I think has to be done in a certain timeframe from when it was installed by the previous owner and the backup has to be present on the machine AFAIK...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

I really don't know what the issue is, am not in anyway techie.
    think I will just take it to local repair shop and get them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jimbooth wrote: »

Have a look here :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Reset your PC
    Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Note

If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key+L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select Power Power icon > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
    If you can't get to the sign-in screen, use a recovery drive or installation media to reset your PC.

Option
    Keep my files
    What it does
    Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
    Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    Removes changes you made to settings.
    Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    Option
    Remove everything
    What it does
    Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.
    Option
    Restore factory settings
    What it does
    Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.
    Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.
    This option isn't available on all PCs.
    Note

If you reset your PC within a month of your upgrade to Windows 10, the option in Settings that lets you go back to your previous version of Windows will no longer be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Surely you can describe the issue that you're experiencing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just because I've a similar story about this - I had to "reset" my Lenovo laptop to factory settings last night, I used the "Reset my pc" feature in Windows Settings.

It reinstalled Windows, but it installed Windows 8.1 which was on the laptop when I bought it, and then offered me to upgrade to Windows 10 the old fashioned way.

Anyways, nothing techie involved in the process. Just find the "Reset my Pc" option in Windows Settings, and hit next, and leave it alone to do its thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just because I've a similar story about this - I had to "reset" my Lenovo laptop to factory settings last night, I used the "Reset my pc" feature in Windows Settings.

It reinstalled Windows, but it installed Windows 8.1 which was on the laptop when I bought it, and then offered me to upgrade to Windows 10 the old fashioned way.

Anyways, nothing techie involved in the process. Just find the "Reset my Pc" option in Windows Settings, and hit next, and leave it alone to do its thing!

Advertisement