Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this Board, CPU, Memory seem reasonable

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can save like 50 quid by buying the parts seperately. Not sure about Intel vs AMD here so can't comment there

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

You can save like 50 quid by buying the parts seperately. Not sure about Intel vs AMD here so can't comment there
    Thanks for tip. Definitely makes sense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Make sure your psu is beefy. Amd chips use more than intel chips. Whats your current set up? You might just need more ram. Would be even cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi Thanks for reply

My current PSU is a Tagan Easycon 600w so I think I'm ok there.

And my present board will only take DDR2 so I'm restricted on Ram.

I think it's time to upgrade Board and CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

For the 16GB version it looks like solid value. For the 8GB version however, you pay a €30 premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

FYI, check used motherboard bundles on ebay uk. I got myself a phenom x4 955BE (close enough to FX-8350) with good motherboard for £60 plus £40 IIRC for 8gig ram. This way you can fit a good SSD into your budget. Maybe also an ASUS GTX670 graphics (£90) with little extra. I've two of these setups at home and they are "good enough" for everything I need including recent games on high graphic settings.
    Another cheap alternative is intel i7 920, you should get a used mobo bundle for £100. Have one of these at home and it's performing better in real life than what should be equivalent AMD's.

From my experience I would start upgrading with SSD if you don't have it yet and memory upgrade (mobo permitting) plus fresh system install and do the rest later if you need it. I did that and one of my PC's built from left overs from other builds is now in my office instead of the bin. SSD made a dual core Athlon II 64 6000+ work nearly as good as the Phenom 955

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

double post

Advertisement