Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sweetner that doesnt taste like crap?

Options
  • 09-02-2016 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

anyone recommend a decent sweetner except canderel? one that doesnt ruin a nice latte? :) they are prob all the same i imagine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Maybe try stevia

I have used it in coffee and it tastes much nicer than the others. It's a natural sweetener too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

think i tried it before, is it a green container?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I dont like stevia , makes the coffee taste horrible to me.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I like the splenda tabs. It's the only one I've found that doesn't make a weird froth on top of a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I find Splenda granules OK with tea. It does leave a foam when you drop it into the tea though but otherwise it's fairly OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Have you tried sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Let me know if you do find one.
    I'm always hopeful when a new one is being marketed, but to me, they all taste like sick :(

Splenda is the exception, but I find that that does something weird to my blood sugar levels. It makes me feel like I'm absolutely starving no matter how much I eat for about a day afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Speedsie wrote: »

That BBC article is very interesting, but the comments at the bottom are outright creepy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Shenshen wrote: »
    That BBC article is very interesting, but the comments at the bottom are outright creepy :eek:

Sure are, how on earth did s/he expect a response! And the username!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

try it without anything - I ditched the sugar last year, took a couple of months to get used to it but don't notice the difference now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

I use tesco low calorie sweeteners and think they are nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I use xylitol almost exclusively. One for one with sugar as a replacement, including for baking. If you can source tagatose, it's even better (and has been shown to help diabetics regulate their blood sugar). Erythritol is harder to cook with and is a bit less sweet than sugar, but has virtually no calories and works perfectly well in coffee.

I'm mildly allergic to sucralose, I think stevia tastes as bitter as a bad divorce, and I just plain hate the taste of acesulfame potassium and aspartame.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Cant stand sweeteners. I think they all taste like crap.

Instead of giving up sugar completely I've cut down and only have it in my coffee

e.g. potatoes+cajun/pepper, basmati rice+garlic granules/cayenne, oats+cocoa, water only to drink etc.
    instead of breads, yogurts, sauces, breakfast cereals, fruit juices, soft drinks

using peanut butter/lentils/chickpeas too but i have 1 meat/egg meal a day still

Not a vegetarian obviously but after talkin to a nutritionist had to change some meals recently due to digestion problems - the reason I mention this is the plant protein with increased fibre seems to work well keepin me from craving more sugar

going well so far

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I drink a lot of tea and I have two sugars so I've been trying to cut down by using sweeteners. The problem is I tried using Stevia, the tablets from Tesco, and they didn't agree with me, stomach was in knots and made me constipated. At least I think that's what it was unless it was a coincidence several times. Is this a known side effect does anyone know, or would other brands be better? People fear aspartame but there is a lot of bad science around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Long long ago when I was at university and drinking a lot of coffee and ballet training, I gave up sugar in coffee. We had only saccharine then .. It was either saccharine or nothing and I soon got used to nothing. Now I use sugar in coffee more; I have M.E and we have erratic blood sugar levels. I am not of the persuasion that sugar is " bad".. But would not use any of the "sweeteners". Takes only a while to get used to sugarless coffee and actually it tastes better without. So sometimes with sugar, sometimes not.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Speedsie wrote: »

I was about to suggest Xylitol too. Apparently it's actually GOOD for your teeth! I used it in brownies that I made for the kids and they gobbled them, whereas anything I've made with stevia has been left uneaten.

My only gripe is that it's very expensive and so far the only place I've seen it sold is health food shops.

Advertisement