Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kitchen item(s) could you not be without?

Options
  • 09-02-2016 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭

Not obvious stuff like good pots & pans or your favourite knife.

Mine are my microplane grater and pestle & mortar.

I haven't used my garlic press in years, since I got the microplane and it makes short work of nutmegs or chocolate or pretty much anything you could care to grate finely.

I don't have the space for a food processor but use my pestle & mortar for making everything from pesto to salsa to curry pastes. Plus you could absolutely brain someone with it perchance a burglar ever happened by while you were making guacamole :-)

Anyone got any indispensable kitchen bits they'd like to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Knife sharpener. I can't prepare anything without razor sharp knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My rice cooker. My slow cooker. Both like having an extra helper in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Potato ricer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Silicone spoon with the flat top. Ace for scraping eggs up or caramel, and takes the high temperatures of toffee grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

My Instant Pot pressure cooker. Makes all sorts of cooking easier. I also like my garlic peeler. Also would go with kknife sharpener! Also my food processor, very useful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chopping board with a ridge around the edge to let meat juices collect in. Many chopping boards in general.

My glass jugged blender, can crush the living daylights out of things and never gets tainted by strong spices or oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My Chinese cleaver. It is just a great all-rounder. For chopping it has great weight & balance. Also good for smashing garlic, lemongrass, etc. I even use it for delicate tasks like peeling ginger. And great for scooping up whatever you've prepared & carrying it to the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Pressure cooker and food processor. One gets used a lot in the winter and the other in the summer. Without them my diet would have less variety, and I'd have less free time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My slow cooker and actifry are lifesavers. OH was fairly sceptical (as was I tbh :o) when I bought them thinking that they would just end up chucked in the cupboard but I use them loads. The slow cooker lives on top of my hob, I use it so much.

Funnily enough, I thought I'd get loads of use out of a food processor and pined after one for ages. Spent a small fortune on one and hardly ever used it :o

I've been thinking of getting a rice cooker so interesting to see it mentioned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Chopping boards with grippy bits on the base - such a simple thing but I'm terminally clumsy so these save me from all kinds of knifey spinny mishaps!
    A good sharp kitchen scissors for trimming meat fat and for quickly chopping cooked meat over bowls of pasta etc - less wasteful than a knife (with my cack-handed knife skills, anyway) and saves me using another board, too!
    One thing I use if I'm doing a lot of baking is an egg separator like the first one in this article http://www.eggsanytime.ca/terms-equipment/how-separate-egg-whites-and-yolks - for some reason egg white really irritates my hands so I can't do the old 'separate with my hand' trick anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

2 things. My coffee machine. CANNOT function without gallons of the stuff in the morning and my Kitchen Aid mixer. I use it all the time to make bread, mix batter, make sausages, loads of stuff. Truly my kitchen friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

My hand mixer, my garlic press, meat thermometer, Le Cruset ceramic dishes (god they are amazing), and the corkscrew. The best gadget of them all. :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My magimix, airfryer and my good knives ...oh and an oil stone for sharpening said knives ..I have to many gadgets in kitchen 😳

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Zester! Lots of satisfaction from zesting a lemon in those neat rows for some reason.

After that, favourite thing is the kenwood. What an awesome wedding pressie that was. Just so handy, it's in use every day... Kneading bread, grinding spices, chopping veg fast for stirfry or coleslaw. Love it and all its accessories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have to mention my little paring/all purpose knife because it's the one thing I couldn't do without. The blade is just the right thickness and it sharpens really well.
    After that, my slow cooker and Airfryer. My favourite little gadget is my lemon squeezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A timer.
    Not just for baking (for which a timer is really indispensable) but for all sorts of other little must-remember-isms. I drop it in my pocket when I leave the kitchen, so my vegetables won't be forgotten, etc.

Also, it is very hard to mash potatoes without a decent masher: one with a handle that doesn't bruise the palm!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Microplane, Slow cooker. Have hankered after a pestle and mortar set and a rice cooker for a while now too. I have sod all space so daydream a lot about a big kitchen that has room for loads more gadgets.

And I finally copped on to wasting money on pizza wheely-cutters and now use scissors to cut a pizza - so much better.

My smoothie maker too. I have a spare beaker that I use to make my Thai curry pastes and it blends anything strongly flavoured, like my basil & garlic salad dressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Obviously, obviously, given the nature of the forum & the general lack of hilarity of saying your partner is a kitchen item - don't be posting here saying 'herself/himself, amirite' cos it'll go down like a cold cup of Angel Delight

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Kenwood kitchen mixer...had withdrawal symptoms after the first one gave up (after 10 years) and had to wait for Santa to bring another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

squonk wrote: »
    I also like my garlic peeler.

Is that one of the tubes you roll the garlic in? Might have to get one, so. I find certain batches of garlic (particularly the younger stuff) an absolute bitch to peel, even after semi-squashing it with the flat of a knife.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Is that one of the tubes you roll the garlic in? Might have to get one, so. I find certain batches of garlic (particularly the younger stuff) an absolute bitch to peel, even after semi-squashing it with the flat of a knife.

Try the two-bowl trick: http://lifehacker.com/5844865/peel-a-head-of-garlic-in-less-than-10-seconds-with-two-bowls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Seeing a few people saying Actifry makes me want to buy one now.

Taboola wrote: »
    Seeing a few people saying Actifry makes me want to buy one now.

We've been meaning to for years but can't really justify the cost. If it was under 50 EUR we'd probably jump at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I love my Kenwood mixer. It makes me happy everytime I take it out of the press :)

And my jam funnel is the best invention ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Another vote for a Kenwood.

Nothing else comes close for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

MaceFace wrote: »
    Another vote for a Kenwood.

Nothing else comes close for me.
    When I cook/bake I use my magimix and I find it fantastic .we were lucky enough to get one as a gift last year but my wife who would be the main backer in the house still insists on using her 20 year old kenwood even though we have a top of the range magimix with all the bells and whistles ...she claims she can't get same results from anything other than the kenwood 🀔

Here are a few really weird "would not do without" items:

Wire paper clips. No, really. They're steel and generally food safe. Best ever gadget for stoning cherries and hulling strawberries. Holds tops of bags closed. Unfolded into an S shape, holds strips of marinated steak from the oven rack when I'm making biltong, or supports bundles of herbs drying on the kitchen rack. I've even used them to hold a stuffed turkey closed.

A set of American measuring tools. No, a standard "cup", "tablespoon", or what have you are not the same as the ones over here. I've measured. If you want the best results from recipes on American websites, you need the proper measurements. (That said, Gordon Ramsay's cookbooks produce exactly what they say they will, no matter what side of the pond you are on.)

A Scottish spurtle. Damn, if it isn't the best tool for what it's for, which is stirring grains in the pot without causing them a lot of damage. Best tool I ever used for risotto, which should be creamy with separate grains, not mashed.

Oh, and I, too, love my Kenwood. I have the top user review for my old food processor on Amazon.com, but my Kenwood is just better.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh yes, American cup measures. And a set of measuring spoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Come to think of it, another thing I really can't live without is my kitchen scales. The batteries died the other day and in the two days it took me to replace them, I found out that I use them much more than I realised before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Speedwell wrote: »

A set of American measuring tools. No, a standard "cup", "tablespoon", or what have you are not the same as the ones over here. I've measured. If you want the best results from recipes on American websites, you need the proper measurements. (That said, Gordon Ramsay's cookbooks produce exactly what they say they will, no matter what side of the pond you are on.)

I didn't realise there was a difference between the cup measurements we have here and the ones in America. That explains why some of my cakes are not turning out as well.

Advertisement