Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kitchen item(s) could you not be without?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Taboola wrote: »
    I didn't realise there was a difference between the cup measurements we have here and the ones in America. That explains why some of my cakes are not turning out as well.

The formulation of baking powder is a bit different, as well, but I am not finding it troublesome in practice. Probably the difference between fresh and stale baking powder is greater. More than anything, I have to adjust for using a fan oven for recipes that were designed for a non-fan oven (I rent and our cooker has no option to turn off the fan for normal baking that I can see). Flour is a bit different as well, but again there is probably more difference between brands of flours than between American and Irish flours as a whole. One last thing: When an American recipe calls for large eggs, they are more or less the same size as medium Irish eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I love paperclips as a kitchen tool too, Speedwell! I use them to keep parchment closed if I'm baking something en papillote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

For me it's my cake lifter. No more do I have to struggle with two fish/egg slices with my heart in mouth fretting that the cake is going to fall apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

And my jam funnel is the best invention ever.

My jam 'funnel' is the bit that came with the dishwasher for filling the salt! It fits perfectly over the jars. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Seeing a few people saying Actifry makes me want to buy one now.

What is an Actifry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

Most used for me during the winter is definitely my soup maker, I love it!!

Roughly chop what ever veg is rolling around in the bottom of the fridge, throw them in the jug add seasoning, water or stock or passata etc. to the level, put the lid on, hit the button then 20 minutes you have a full jug or steaming hot blended soup ready to go. Deadly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Mellifera wrote: »
    What is an Actifry?
    http://www.currys.ie/category/fryers/396.2.9?gclid=CJDz4vGs8soCFYTnGwod0tIJtw&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!55564227357!e!!g!!actifry&ef_id=Vr2ndAAAAMTqAXou:20160212134008:s

The air fryer is one I have and I would be lost without it, I cook everthing in it from chips,full chickens and even small roasts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

harr wrote: »
    http://www.currys.ie/category/fryers/396.2.9?gclid=CJDz4vGs8soCFYTnGwod0tIJtw&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!55564227357!e!!g!!actifry&ef_id=Vr2ndAAAAMTqAXou:20160212134008:s

The air fryer is one I have and I would be lost without it, I cook everthing in it from chips,full chickens and even small roasts...

Do you get the same crispiness you'd get with a regular fryer?

Do you get the same crispiness you'd get with a regular fryer?
    Yep and some times a better crisp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

harr wrote: »
    Yep and some times a better crisp

Interesting. I think it might be my next purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Rather germane to this thread, Aldi have lots of kitchen didgeridoos from Thursday.

Seriously, if I had the space I'd be like those people you see on Extreme Hoarders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have a great little knife from Ikea that cost 65c or something. It is super sharp and very easy to use for my clumsy hands. I even have a spare hidden away in case anything happens to the one I use. I sound like an ad for Ikea but they do a fantastic garlic press that I use all the time. My food processor is also a well used item in my kitchen. I make soup at least once a week in it.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Rather germane to this thread, Aldi have lots of kitchen didgeridoos from Thursday.

Seriously, if I had the space I'd be like those people you see on Extreme Hoarders.
    Just had a look at the Aldi stuff that multi chef looks ok , if I arrive home with any more kitchen gadgets I will be put out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The stick blender needs some praise in this thread. Good for soup. Good for fixing lumpy crepe batter. Made sauce for the pizza with it earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm gonna keep it simple and say potato/vegetable peeler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So many things, but the utensil I probably use the most is the potato peeler. It's used virtually every day to peel veg and to cut strips of cheese for the kids' sangwiches.

I do love my dough cutter as well. It's great for scraping the caked fat off the grill tray, nothing else matches it.

My hand blender has to get a special mention for making the best gravy in the world (according to my son) ;)

And last but not least, as I think I've mentioned before, the humble sink basin puts up with so much abuse - washing veg and dirty dishes, soaking clothes and whenever anyone is throwing up, it's always tucked up beside them. What a workhorse! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Knife sharpener. I can't prepare anything without razor sharp knives.
    What kind of knife sharpener do you have? I need a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I can't believe I forgot to mention my oxo goodgrips vegetable peelers - bought on recommendation from someone here and just the best peelers I've used. Robust and comfortable to use and very very sharp even after a few years daily use. Highly recommended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

ElleEm I love the ikea garlic press too!

I think my stick blender is my favourite item, I eat soup all the time in winter so it's on the go constantly, also so handy for curry pastes. The coffee machine is a close second and I really want an actifry ... I love kitchen accessories, my OH has a phobia of aldi special buys because we have a press full of unnecessary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Wow, all these posts about what kitchen stuff we can't do without makes me wonder if everyone's kitchen is full to the ceiling. Come to think of it, that's the main thing I need badly, can't do without, and am without... sufficient storage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

My blender gets used almost every day. They're not making this model anymore. I'll be lost without it if it wears out. Having said that, sharp knives and a good balloon whisk help make cooking a pleasure.

The sweetcorn stripper on the other hand languishes in the drawer 364 days a year. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Dubl07 wrote: »
    My blender gets used almost every day. They're not making this model anymore. I'll be lost without it if it wears out. Having said that, sharp knives and a good balloon whisk help make cooking a pleasure.

The sweetcorn stripper on the other hand languishes in the drawer 364 days a year. :o

I'll see your sweetcorn stripper and raise you a herb scissors. One careful lady owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Speedwell wrote: »
    Wow, all these posts about what kitchen stuff we can't do without makes me wonder if everyone's kitchen is full to the ceiling.

Pretty much. This is just my overflow unit. I also have three presses full of pots/pans/utensils.

I was flicking through the Lidl mag the other day and they had an electric crepe maker. I was like "Who in the name of God has the space (not to mention the need!) for these things???"

12744459_10154535761032678_2792840127371027383_n.jpg?oh=cf401d0683f21ee87f23ae678eb0cb38&oe=57644395

ETA: I think those limes are for the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Pretty much. This is just my overflow unit. I also have three presses full of pots/pans/utensils.

I was flicking through the Lidl mag the other day and they had an electric crepe maker. I was like "Who in the name of God has the space (not to mention the need!) for these things???"

I'll take the fifth. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I'm going to say my steamer pot and mixing bowls. So much satisfaction from making your own food. I love steamed dinners and making bread and pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just in case you are addicted to kitchen gizmos and want the reassurance of seeing it in use before filling your entire kitchen / emptying your pockets, i love this column.

Here's my favourite:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/15/kitchen-gadgets-review-egg-master-horrifying-unholy-affair

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Two things I cannot do without in the kitchen...

1. a pair of sharp scissors. Essential with all the moulded packaging and all sorts of stuff you need to OPEN. And great for cutting up meat into strips/cubes. Far better than any knife.

2. My spatulas. Great for flipping things in the pan, making scrambled eggs, buttering large amounts of bread for a rake of sambos, I could go on, but you get the drift.
    I have a very large one also, that turns over omellettes and scoops up pancakes in one piece. Best thing evah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A veg peeler. I'm actually quite terrible at peeling with a knife alone. Either I've peeled down to an inch of the veg's life, or I cut myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A steamer basket with a handle thingy in the middle to lift it out with and a vegetable peeler. There are loads of other things that I love (microplane grater, Joseph Joseph straining spoon) but I was without both my peeler and steamer basket recently and it was a pain in the ass.

Advertisement