Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine mysteriously dies and then is reborn. (Is not Christ, have checked).

Options
  • 09-02-2016 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

EDIT: Post was only for comparison to the strange behavior Devore saw, not actually trying to T/S this as its EOL anyways.

*Bows to the benevolent overlord who has graced us with his presence*

Deja vu! Big time. My main machine (which I'm currently far far away from) has very similar symptoms. I too thought PSU. PSU it was not though.

Shut down normally:
    Come back any time, boots fine

Shut down normally and remove AC briefly:
    Try and reboot, fails.
    Wait 8hrs, boots fine.

Shut down unexpectedly("who turned on two kettles"):
    Try and reboot, fails
    Wait 8hrs, boots fine.

No CMOS clears, pin shorting, PSU swaps, praying to the CMods will fix it. Only waiting. At this point the conclusion is it has to be the board, its that or the CPU and there's nothing in the CPU that would change over 8hrs that clearing board power wouldn't. My guess is its a bad capacitor. Its an old socket and platform and finding another one of that board (which I like) would be tricky so I've left it be and resorted to verbally assaulting anyone who causes a trip on that ring main.
    Q6600 OC'd to 3.5Ghz
    8GB DDR3
    P5E3 WS Professional
    HD7870
    CX430 replaced by a Seasonic* 600W

*I think!

So it could be the first configuration was overheating and the second configuration has a dud board. Maybe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^^ Capacitor issue or dry solder joint on the board itself maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ED E wrote: »
    *Bows to the benevolent overlord who has graced us with his presence*

Deja vu! Big time. My main machine (which I'm currently far far away from) has very similar symptoms. I too thought PSU. PSU it was not though.

Shut down normally:
    Come back any time, boots fine

Shut down normally and remove AC briefly:
    Try and reboot, fails.
    Wait 8hrs, boots fine.

Shut down unexpectedly("who turned on two kettles"):
    Try and reboot, fails
    Wait 8hrs, boots fine.

No CMOS clears, pin shorting, PSU swaps, praying to the CMods will fix it. Only waiting. At this point the conclusion is it has to be the board, its that or the CPU and there's nothing in the CPU that would change over 8hrs that clearing board power wouldn't. My guess is its a bad capacitor. Its an old socket and platform and finding another one of that board (which I like) would be tricky so I've left it be and resorted to verbally assaulting anyone who causes a trip on that ring main.
    Q6600 OC'd to 3.5Ghz
    8GB DDR3
    P5E3 WS Professional
    HD7870
    CX430 replaced by a Seasonic* 600W

*I think!

So it could be the first configuration was overheating and the second configuration has a dud board. Maybe.
    Possibly the CMOS battery is fecked? Try replacing it, they are relatively cheap even if it only rules it out as the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Myrddin wrote: »
    ^^ Capacitor issue or dry solder joint on the board itself maybe?

Hard to say for sure, no visible bulging but you're probably right.
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    Possibly the CMOS battery is fecked? Try replacing it, they are relatively cheap even if it only rules it out as the problem

Already tried that one.

Lets not take this too far OT on Devore.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hard to say for sure, no visible bulging but you're probably right.

Already tried that one.

Lets not take this too far OT on Devore.

One of the side perks of being the benevolent overlord is that I can separate posts into their own thread! :)
    (seemed like a good idea).

Can be locked/left to necro out if you like, not something I'm trying to solve, just an example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can be locked/left to necro out if you like, not something I'm trying to solve, just an example.

If it's a lost cause, maybe worth trying to reflow it in an oven? :D

Myrddin wrote: »
    If it's a lost cause, maybe worth trying to reflow it in an oven? :D

Hmm, wouldn't help a cap but could with a bad joint. Maybe in May/June when the new workstation gets built...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Gotta love that P5E tho. Those were the days. Your board wasn't worth a look unless it had at least thirteen different colours on it, and N-Force boards were all the rage.

It came new with this little stick on fan for the chipset cooler and all. Transparent plastic ftw I guess.

Advertisement