Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Northern Irish showrooms?.

• 09-02-2016 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I mentioned on another thread that I'm considering selling my R1100S and moving onto something like a Varadero 1000 or even downsizing to a Transalp 700.

There are very few on Donedeal, and if I decide to go the dealer route is it worth my time heading up north (I'm located in Dublin so traveling north isn't a big deal).

Has anyone had any dealings up north, and is it worth it?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I bought my last 2 bikes from NI. I got the Hornet from Belfast Honda and the GSXR was a private sale.

In both cases it was the condition of the bike that made me go up north. I looked at a few Hornets that were advertised on donedeal and they weren't in the best condition (that's me being nice). Anything I looked at would have needed money put into it. The Hornet was spotless, needed nothing and came with a warranty. Unfortunately sterling wasn't in my favour at the time but I'm always willing to pay that bit more for a good bike.

The GSXR was different, that was 5 years ago, sterling was better and I'm a fussy fecker, only wanted a black one! So my choice was limited but again it was in spotless condition.

The process is very easy. Just get the V5 off the seller, book a VRT appointment at your local NCT centre, pay your VRT and off you go.

The spin back is a nice way to get to know the new bike too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

The fact that bikes up north need a MOT is a help I believe . Also there is a culture of looking after vehicles in general that I don't think we share.
    In Practical terms it is a lot cheaper than going to the UK and you get the same value and quality.
    Pity about sterling at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Leppla off here bought his bike from McCallans no probs at all (he is exspensive but his bike are very clean) I have bought privately from the north and no probs either. Sterling might go against you and dealers with also be pricey compared to private sale.

You could be lucky in your search, so best of luck.

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

As wonda said I bought my tiger of mccallens about 1 year and a half ago. Couldn't get anything that clean down here with such spec on it. I would 100% reccomend them to buy from or even for a trip up. Very friendly staff always say hello and have a chat. Test rides are no problem and there selection is huge.

I also bought an SV up there privately before and it was about 5 years old when I got it and had never Been out in the rain and was kept in the sitting room! I didn't believe the add until I seen it with my own two eyes.

To sum up I would deffo take the north into your search for a new bike. The spin home on the new bike is great too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

UK and NI bikes are so clean and well looked after,when compared to most of the bikes for sale here in Ireland.
    Its rare to find a well documented and clean bike for sale in Ireland these days.

Maybe because theres no NCT for bikes,but theres the MOT for NI and UK bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

CC's in Kells have great stock & there bikes are spotless.

CC's in Kells have great stock & there bikes are spotless.

A couple of lads off here myself included have been up many times. They have a decent selection of bikes when compared with other Irish showrooms.

But I would not describe all their bikes as spotless. Mate went cash in hand to spend a decent few quid there and all of the bikes he was interested in were not even in test drive condition!! Missing clutch cables etc.

Not a great way to have a bike sitting on a showroom floor when your asking close to 10k. First impressions in all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

Personally I've never seen that.

I've been in a few shops in the North & England. It's a credit to them the way the bikes are presented but the sterling is killing it.
    See lads are buying bikes from Germany now.

It is a credit too them. It's a shame we don't have any big main dealers down here really.

M50 honda who I bought off before has most of the show room for lawnmowers. It would be great to see serious show rooms like they gave for the cars but obviously the demand is not there.

Dunno how they do it up the north. Loads of big places, and they all seem to be doing well.

While I was in mccallens a lad was collecting his brand new 1290 and putting it in a trailor and taking it all the way home too cork!! And he said he was saving money. That was over a year ago so that prob doesn't hold true now.

Even the service up north. Crossons helmet range is outstanding, and arai technicians on hand to ensure a great fit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I bought my Varadero from NI. Went up to see/buy her. The man selling it had every MOT cert, original service book, stamped until recent. To say she was in great nick is an understatement. And his advert listed any nicks

I changed the Varadero recently for a Funduro. I went to Dublin to look at 2. One was described as ready to go, the other said she had been stored in a garage. First one was a complete lump of sh*t* and was a death trap. Second bike was as described, if not better

Join Ireland Weather Network

Sure down south they charge extra for customer service and being polite ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    It is a credit too them. It's a shame we don't have any big main dealers down here really.

M50 honda who I bought off before has most of the show room for lawnmowers. It would be great to see serious show rooms like they gave for the cars but obviously the demand is not there.

Dunno how they do it up the north. Loads of big places, and they all seem to be doing well.

While I was in mccallens a lad was collecting his brand new 1290 and putting it in a trailor and taking it all the way home too cork!! And he said he was saving money. That was over a year ago so that prob doesn't hold true now.

Even the service up north. Crossons helmet range is outstanding, and arai technicians on hand to ensure a great fit!

He must have been mad buying a 1290 new in McCallens unless he got an amazing trade in. They were only 17750 in M50 and 14k sterling up there. Losing a few grand even at the best of times.
    I do agree on the selection, although the used prices are similar to the UK which is horrific at the moment. Germany seems to be the best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm currently looking at a new to me (but used) bike,

I've bought bikes in Germany for years, but right now with Sterling at 0.75, UK is working out cheaper. A 2008 F650GS in Germany runs about €5200 - €6000. €5100 in the UK....And shipping them back from Germany has taken a jump.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement