Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknowingly bought 2nd hand laptop

Options
  • 09-02-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

So today I was updating my mother's laptop which we bought from Harvey Norman about a year and a half ago. I discovered some files (downloaded movies) hidden in a file on her hard drive. These files were downloaded before the time of purchase (downloaded 2 months before she bought it). I was with her when she bought the laptop, and we were never told that it had been previously owned. I have no intention of returning it or anything but I am wondering is this legal? Can stores sell 2nd hand goods without telling the consumer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

So today I was updating my mother's laptop which we bought from Harvey Norman about a year and a half ago. I discovered some files (downloaded movies) hidden in a file on her hard drive. These files were downloaded before the time of purchase (downloaded 2 months before she bought it). I was with her when she bought the laptop, and we were never told that it had been previously owned. I have no intention of returning it or anything but I am wondering is this legal? Can stores sell 2nd hand goods without telling the consumer?

I'd return to the store with it an alert them to this. You should ask for a free extended warranty at least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's not illegal to sell used goods without telling the consumer but it is a breach of contract if you were led to believe you were getting a brand new one. I got my laptop from HN and it came in factory sealed box with intact security seals. Any chance you bought the display model without realising it, e.g. sticker/told it was the last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It's not illegal to sell used goods without telling the consumer but it is a breach of contract if you were led to believe you were getting a brand new one. I got my laptop from HN and it came in factory sealed box with intact security seals. Any chance you bought the display model without realising it, e.g. sticker/told it was the last one?

We were told it was the last one. We thought we were getting a good deal as we got microsoft word, case and internet protection, and I haggled a bit. But we were told it was in perfect condition. We were told it hadn't been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

We were told it was the last one. We thought we were getting a good deal as we got microsoft word, case and internet protection, and I haggled a bit. But we were told it was in perfect condition. We were told it hadn't been used.

You NEVER get good deal at HN, Currys etc. Especially if you bought their rip off, 99% profit bundles.

If it was bought as a display model theres not much that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Could the date on the laptop have been wrong at any stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,821 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So risky giving customers used laptops, there could be anything on them from illegal material to personal data. If I was you I would inform the data protection commissioner as it could be a breach... https://www.dataprotection.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Hi there,

I had a similar situation when I bought my gaming laptop from HN. Usually when they say its the last one, its an ex display model or the current display model as mine was with a slightly lower price. Still newish by all accounts, but nonetheless used. I was aware of it at the time however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

So risky giving customers used laptops, there could be anything on them from illegal material to personal data. If I was you I would inform the data protection commissioner as it could be a breach... https://www.dataprotection.ie/

and you base this on one comment from someone who has just given their opinion and asked a question.

Normally when you accuse someone of something you need this thing called "proof"

It could be anything remember this is 18 MONTHS old - not something the op bought a couple of days ago.

And over 18 months, his mother could easily have clicked on a link that downloaded in the background and its quite easy for files to be manipulated to show a different date - I get emails dated 1/11/1970. Guess what - email wasn't around then!

To the OP - delete them and forget it. It would be utterly impossible to prove after 18months (and assuming its been connected to internet) that the files were there originaly unless you get it forensically examined (a few grand in cost)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Techmaster wrote: »
    You NEVER get good deal at HN, Currys etc.

You do, especially if you do your research and use their price promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's not have a HN, Currys etc bashing thread. That is not the original topic here.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sometimes staff download movies to play on the TV's on display, I know I've seen this at PC World a good bit.

So someone else may not have owned it. To be fair if you bought it as a display laptop 18 months ago there is absolutely zilch you can do now in any case.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Could the date on the laptop have been wrong at any stage?

It's only my mother whose been using it, so I honestly couldn't tell you. She hardly ever uses it (check emails once in a blue moon) but I think it's unlikely

VincePP wrote: »
    and you base this on one comment from someone who has just given their opinion and asked a question.

Normally when you accuse someone of something you need this thing called "proof"

It could be anything remember this is 18 MONTHS old - not something the op bought a couple of days ago.

And over 18 months, his mother could easily have clicked on a link that downloaded in the background and its quite easy for files to be manipulated to show a different date - I get emails dated 1/11/1970. Guess what - email wasn't around then!

To the OP - delete them and forget it. It would be utterly impossible to prove after 18months (and assuming its been connected to internet) that the files were there originaly unless you get it forensically examined (a few grand in cost)

To be honest I was never planning on doing anything about it. I know the laptop's old. I was just curious as to the legality of it. I

As for the downloads, I'm assuming they're illegal, about 20-25 movies, mostly Disney. I'm planning on deleting them anyway.

Advertisement