Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rehoming 1 year old Cocker Spaniel

• 09-02-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm absolutely heart-broken, our 1 year old cocker is a really lovely little doggie most of the time. Unfortunately there are just too many problems with him and it's not fair on him to keep him. He's very lively, needs lots of attention which he gets most of the time, in fact he's quite spoilt. No blame to my Mam who owns him, she has tried to put manners on him (not by using aggression or punishments in any way) but he can get very cranky when he doesn't get his own way or when you try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do like move over on the sofa! He has a tendency to growl and bare his teeth when he's annoyed. He has never bitten anyone but we just don't know if he's capable of it and we don't want to let it get that far.

He is pure-bred, papers and all and I thought maybe he'd be a good stud dog, again we don't know, haven't tried. I called <snip> but they couldn't really help, the lady I spoke to was lovely but she couldn't tell me where I might find somewhere that would be interested in him. I just really want him to go to someone who will be able to manage him and look after him well, he's generally adorable and very loving. We know we can't do it and it's not fair on him. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Not sure what sort of advice you are looking for OP maybe you could clarify? Are you looking for advice on how to resolve the problem or are you hoping someone out there will take the dog off your hands, choosing him over the thousands of dogs without issues that are looking for homes?

One thing is for sure, there is absolutely no way this dog should ever be bred from and passing him on for that purpose would be extremely irresponsible.

What do you mean by 'we can't do it', what can't you do?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

First things first op, he MUST be neutered if he's going to be rehomed... Dogs that exhibit aggression should never be bred from. Neutering him removes any temptation or risk.
    Secondly, rehoming a dog that is exhibiting such behaviour will be difficult, and may even be irresponsible. Cockers have quite a tendency to be grumpy in certain circumstances, particularly when it comes to keeping possession of food, toys, comfy sleeping spots etc... Would your mum consider getting a behaviourist in to help her to control and resolve the problem as far as possible? In cases where there's a behavioural problem, the long term outcome for the dog tends to be far more positive if he remains with the person who knows him best, as long as they get help to change the way some things are done. Similarly, in my experience at least, when an aggressive dog is passed on to a new home, the likelihood of the new owner being bitten in the first few weeks is pretty big, because they don't know what buttons not to press the way the original owner does. The outcome for a new dog that has bitten its new owner is generally not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

AilsOD wrote: »
    I'm absolutely heart-broken, our 1 year old cocker is a really lovely little doggie most of the time. Unfortunately there are just too many problems with him and it's not fair on him to keep him. He's very lively, needs lots of attention which he gets most of the time, in fact he's quite spoilt. No blame to my Mam who owns him, she has tried to put manners on him (not by using aggression or punishments in any way) but he can get very cranky when he doesn't get his own way or when you try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do like move over on the sofa! He has a tendency to growl and bare his teeth when he's annoyed. He has never bitten anyone but we just don't know if he's capable of it and we don't want to let it get that far.

He is pure-bred, papers and all and I thought maybe he'd be a good stud dog, again we don't know, haven't tried. I called <snip> but they couldn't really help, the lady I spoke to was lovely but she couldn't tell me where I might find somewhere that would be interested in him. I just really want him to go to someone who will be able to manage him and look after him well, he's generally adorable and very loving. We know we can't do it and it's not fair on him. Any advice would be appreciated.

I understand it's a difficult situation, but can I ask what have you tried so far? How much exercise/mental stimulation is he getting? What type of food is he eating? Have you considered neutering him (might calm him down a bit)? What other problems does he have?(you said he has too many)

There are many options available, and it sounds like you really care for him even though it's your mother who owns him. Training classes, behavioural therapy, increased stimulation, etc. There are options. Please think of rehoming as a last resort.

I volunteer with a rescue, and I see 1-2 year old dogs come frequently. They aren't as cute (although as a dog-lover I think they're always cute) as they were when they were puppies. They can be more destructive and boisterous. But they're still good dogs who just need a little help learning how to behave. But many people don't want the challenge. If you placed him in a rescue he may be stuck in a kennel for months which will only allow his problems to get worse.

It sounds like you really care about him. If you haven't tried anything yet, please don't give up on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AilsOD

Not sure what sort of advice you are looking for OP maybe you could clarify? Are you looking for advice on how to resolve the problem or are you hoping someone out there will take the dog off your hands, choosing him over the thousands of dogs without issues that are looking for homes?

One thing is for sure, there is absolutely no way this dog should ever be bred from and passing him on for that purpose would be extremely irresponsible.

What do you mean by 'we can't do it', what can't you do?

I'm sorry, I know I didn't explain things very well. I'm not looking for anyone to offer to take the dog at all, I was wondering if there is such a thing as organisations who would be interested in a possible stud dog, it's only an idea since he's pure-bred but we would have no problem getting him neutered if that's the right thing to do. I really have no experience in rehoming a dog, we've always had our dogs for their lives.

What we can't do is give him the care and attention that he needs. I would dearly love to, he's a darling most of the time. We have tried our best we really have, it's so upsetting as we've always had dogs and we've always had spaniels. This dog was a gift and of course as a small puppy there was no problem. My mother is getting older and I don't live with her nor am I in a position to take him myself.

I understand it's a difficult situation, but can I ask what have you tried so far? How much exercise/mental stimulation is he getting? What type of food is he eating? Have you considered neutering him (might calm him down a bit)? What other problems does he have?(you said he has too many)

There are many options available, and it sounds like you really care for him even though it's your mother who owns him. Training classes, behavioural therapy, increased stimulation, etc. There are options. Please think of rehoming as a last resort.

I volunteer with a rescue, and I see 1-2 year old dogs come frequently. They aren't as cute (although as a dog-lover I think they're always cute) as they were when they were puppies. They can be more destructive and boisterous. But they're still good dogs who just need a little help learning how to behave. But many people don't want the challenge. If you placed him in a rescue he may be stuck in a kennel for months which will only allow his problems to get worse.

It sounds like you really care about him. If you haven't tried anything yet, please don't give up on him!

Apart from the slight aggression we've seen coming out at times there are no problems with the dog at all, the problem is with me and my Mam, she's getting older, she finds walking him very difficult as he pulls her and we both feel he's not getting enough walks anyway, she's simply not able to. I'm not either, I have MS.

He is a very good dog most of the time and I love him to bits, he is crazy about me when I visit, licks and hugs galore and I literally have tears streaming down my face right now. I just don't know what to do for the best. I feel this is so unfair on him and I hate it. What I want is to do what's best for him I just don't know how to go about it.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    First things first op, he MUST be neutered if he's going to be rehomed... Dogs that exhibit aggression should never be bred from. Neutering him removes any temptation or risk.
    Secondly, rehoming a dog that is exhibiting such behaviour will be difficult, and may even be irresponsible. Cockers have quite a tendency to be grumpy in certain circumstances, particularly when it comes to keeping possession of food, toys, comfy sleeping spots etc... Would your mum consider getting a behaviourist in to help her to control and resolve the problem as far as possible? In cases where there's a behavioural problem, the long term outcome for the dog tends to be far more positive if he remains with the person who knows him best, as long as they get help to change the way some things are done. Similarly, in my experience at least, when an aggressive dog is passed on to a new home, the likelihood of the new owner being bitten in the first few weeks is pretty big, because they don't know what buttons not to press the way the original owner does. The outcome for a new dog that has bitten its new owner is generally not good.

Thanks for your reply. I think the breeding idea is firmly knocked on the head now, it was silly of me but I'm grasping at straws, I don't know what to do for the best and I'm panicking! I don't know how to go about finding a good home for him. I don't know anyone who would take him and look after him and love him like we do. We love him so so much but we are not able to give him what he needs anymore. I don't know what to do for the best, it's him I'm thinking of, I do not want to "get rid" of him I want him to be well looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

It sounds like maybe he needs more exercise than either you or your mother can give him for starters, would getting a dog walker to take him out for a long walk/run a few times a week be an option? Or doggy day care a few times a week? That can really tire them out! Also is he getting good nutrition, ie a good quality food? Or a cheap supermarket brand, which won't be doing him any favours! It sounds like you don't really want to get rid of him, you just need some help and advice and I think you came to the right place here, there's lots of very experienced posters on here, please don't give up on him just yet!

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    It sounds like maybe he needs more exercise than either you or your mother can give him for starters, would getting a dog walker to take him out for a long walk/run a few times a week be an option? Or doggy day care a few times a week? That can really tire them out! Also is he getting good nutrition, ie a good quality food? Or a cheap supermarket brand, which won't be doing him any favours! It sounds like you don't really want to get rid of him, you just need some help and advice and I think you came to the right place here, there's lots of very experienced posters on here, please don't give up on him just yet!

Thanks so much for your reply. I really really don't want to get rid of him, I want to take him home and look after him myself but that is simply not an option for me. I really am just panicking and thank you for your suggestions, I think finding alternative ways to help with looking after him is the way to go rather than rehoming him. I will put my thinking cap on and I will find a way!

He is still on the most popular brand of puppy food (I'm sure you know the one I mean) and I will be visiting my vet this week for advice on his diet and on getting him neutered. He doesn't get shop bought treats, he gets vegetables, he loves broccoli. To be honest I don't think he's aggressive, just grumpy when he's tired, he has never been aggressive with me apart from the odd growl and he has a kennels that he goes to when we are away and the keeper has never seen any aggressive behaviour from him.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as organisations who would be interested in a possible stud dog, it's only an idea since he's pure-bred

Organisations that breed indiscriminately, on a mass scale, or without regard to health or temprament are called puppy farms. You can read about them in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Organisations that breed indiscriminately, on a mass scale, or without regard to health or temprament are called puppy farms. You can read about them in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Oh no no no definitely do not want to go anywhere near that road! I don't want to breed him at all and I fully intend to go to my vet tomorrow and organise to get him neutered. The vet was always going to neuter him for us, she knows him since he was little, she just wants him to be a year old first. He's not even one yet, not till March.

I was just being a silly female having a panic attack as I was worried we weren't taking good enough care of him. I realise now the breeding talk was silly and thanks to all the advice I've gotten here tonight, I've even decided not to try to rehome him, I'm going to do my level best to find ways to take good care of him. I love him an awful lot and if I have to move in with my mother to help look after him I will! Sorry for being an idiot and thank you very much to everyone for their replies.

• Advertisement

Does your mother have pet insurance for him? Some insurance covers behaviourist costs if referred by a vet.

Does your mother have pet insurance for him? Some insurance covers behaviourist costs if referred by a vet.

I think, as it stands right now, Allianz are the only insurers to cover behavioural consults.
    OP, everything you've described about your mam's dog is fixable, assuming that the aggression you describe happens in such limited circumstances as when you try to move him when he sleeps on the couch. If it's more than just that (eg if he's grumpy in other situations), you'd be well advised to get help.. It'll really help you! But make sure you go to a reputable and qualified behaviourist, as there are lots of charlatans out there... If you tell us where your mam lives, we may be able to point you in the right direction.
    However, if it's simply a matter of him growling when he's moved on the couch... Get him off the couch... Permanently! If he can't behave himself whilst on it, he doesn't get to use it. Keep a lead attached to him so you can move him safely without having to negotiate. Every time he gets up there, a calm but firm "uh-uh" followed by calmly leading him off the furniture and into his own bed should be very useful.
    For pulling on the lead... Search this forum for front connection harnesses.
    I met a Cocker once who was gorgeous, but every day at the same time, he became grumpy and irritable, and he was particularly liable to start guarding the couch. It turned out it always happened quite a precise period of time after he'd been fed. A diet change brought about an immediate improvement... It might be worth keeping an eye to see if there's any sort of pattern such as this going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

We had issues like you are having, we got a cocker a good number of years ago a bitch and she was a nightmare very cranky never did bite anyone but gave it a go at times.
    In the end we had to rehome her, we tried everything from a lot more exercise to getting a behavioural trainer in to sort her out and nothing worked it was just her temperament.
    Funny thing is we had two cockers a red and black one the red was the one we had to remome ...neighbours also had a red male cocker and he to was a cranky git ...our vet at the time said some red cockers do have a nasty side ....not sure how true that is or what color your mams dog is...

OP I had a feeling from the tone of your post you were just feeling a bit overwhelmed and you didn't really want to get rid of him! Not sure which puppy food you mean but if it's a famous brand advertised on TV I would seriously look at changing it, a common comparison is that it's like feeding your kids McDonalds all the time!! Bear in mind your vet may well try and sell you Hills Science as most vets seem to sell it and get commission on it! Now it's good for some dogs but not a miracle food, some dogs just don't take to it, I'm sure one of the other posters here can give you some good advice on food, in fact there's many posts about dog food in this forum, it can get confusing, I know I tried a few before I found one that both of mine liked and it agreed with them! If you have time you could look at Zooplus website and see the array of foods available! Not sure what your budget is but the best you can afford would be a way to start and to make sure on the ingredients list, the first ingredient is the meat!

Also, posts like the above don't really help you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Op..

Firstly please stop using the word the phrase rid of him… its quiet irritating to dog owners / lovers..

Secondly OP I have a cocker who at 1 was pretty mental too.. at 1 he is still VERY much a puppy.
    its sounds like he is isn’t being exercised enough, a cocker needs at least 1 hours of decent exercise everyday… proper food and exercise is the key … also neutering will help with hyperness… so maybe if you should look at sorting out the issues instead of trying to rehome him – these issues are very easily sorted with a little work.

Thirdly the whole stud dog thing… that’s a great idea if you want him to end up locked in a shed being used to line people’s pockets in a puppy farm – its hell for dogs .

Thank you to all for your replies. Tranceypoo hit the nail on the head, I was just feeling overwhelmed and panicked. As I said I have Multiple Sclerosis and so don't deal with stress well, that's why I came here for advice.

Mam and I have talked it through, it is most definitely a case of the dog getting grumpy when he's tired and also Mam getting grumpy when she's tired! We are going to try a number of different things as suggested here and I do think that between us we'll be able to get it all to work out.

I know I didn't explain myself very well in the beginning last night but I did clarify things as best I could and I'm quite hurt that some people thought I'd consider giving him to a puppy farm. I was actually advised by the lady at the rescue centre I phoned, to look for a place that specialised in such a thing, so I thought that such places existed and were legit. My mistake and I realise that now. I'd never actually have let him go anywhere truth be told.

Also my use of the phrase get rid was in inverted commas to show that was exactly the opposite of what I was aiming to do. All I ever came here for was advice on what to do in the dogs best interest. At first I thought that giving him up to someone who might better take care of him was the answer but thanks to some very good suggestions I now know that we are his family and that we can take measures to look after him well. Thanks to those who were encouraging.

We are going to go further for advice on how best to take care of him and will do our very best to be the family he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I was actually advised by the lady at the rescue centre I phoned, to look for a place that specialised in such a thing, so I thought that such places existed and were legit. My mistake and I realise that now. I'd never actually have let him go anywhere truth be told.

Perhaps you misunderstood and she was suggesting that you see about returning him to the breeder you got him from? This is an option offered by most reputable breeders.

I think if you get a plan of action it'll help immensely with the problems you're having. You can't know what to do if you don't know what to do. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I know I didn't explain myself very well in the beginning last night but I did clarify things as best I could and I'm quite hurt that some people thought I'd consider giving him to a puppy farm. I was actually advised by the lady at the rescue centre I phoned, to look for a place that specialised in such a thing, so I thought that such places existed and were legit.

Are you serious? Is it possible the person you spoke to was being sarcastic? It's just that the only organisations that fit this description are puppy farms. That particular rescue invests very heavily in neutering dogs.

VonVix wrote: »
    Perhaps you misunderstood and she was suggesting that you see about returning him to the breeder you got him from? This is an option offered by most reputable breeders.

I think if you get a plan of action it'll help immensely with the problems you're having. You can't know what to do if you don't know what to do. :o

I couldn't agree more I'm on the way to forming an action plan right now and I have every confidence that we'll succeed. It's not like we haven't had dogs before I know we can do it :)

Oh no I didn't misunderstand her, she told me that "cocker spaniels are very popular for stud" and "to search the Internet for a breeding kennels that specialise in cockers and they might take him as we don't have room here" not that I asked her to take him, I asked for advice on rehoming. I was distressed at the time.

Are you serious? Is it possible the person you spoke to was being sarcastic? It's just that the only organisations that fit this description are puppy farms. That particular rescue invests very heavily in neutering dogs.

When I thought about it afterwards, I was shocked tbh. I know someone who fundraisers for this particular organisation and she has told me all about their ethics. I signed up with her to donate to this organisation on a monthly basis. I really do love dogs! And I will love Mam's dog all the more now and get more involved in his care. We will share the responsibility so neither of us gets this overwhelmed again.

• Advertisement

Op, I think credit where credit is due... You have made it clear from early on that you'd do whatever you have to do to hold on to the little fella, and your determination seems to be growing now that you've got a direction to head in!
    Well done, and don't hesitate to come back here to look for help if you need it along the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

No-one in a rescue centre would recommend sending a dog to a breeding farm as those places are the scum of the earth and treat animals horribly.
    I have a spaniel myself. We took her from my mother who was unable to take care of her as she was so hyper (the dog was hyper, not my mother.....) Somebody dumped the dog outside my mothers house and she tried her best but she could not handle her. The problem was that the dog would be kept indoors for most of the day and when she got outside she just would not stop running. She needed to release so much energy.
    When I took her, we had the same problems initially but we got into a routine of exercise. Sometimes I would take her for long walks, other times I would just throw a rope or a ball until she would tire herself out. I also got her spayed, which I think did calm her down a bit.
    A year on and she is the most wonderful dog imaginable and one of the best decisions I ever made was to take her off my mothers hands.
    I know you mentioned you have MS but the dog just needs a routine. Even if you could get a neighbour to help you to tire out the dog. Trust me, the spaniel will end up to be a wonderful companion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

cocker5 wrote: »
    Op..

Firstly please stop using the word the phrase rid of him… its quiet irritating to dog owners / lovers..

Secondly OP I have a cocker who at 1 was pretty mental too.. at 1 he is still VERY much a puppy.
    its sounds like he is isn’t being exercised enough, a cocker needs at least 1 hours of decent exercise everyday… proper food and exercise is the key … also neutering will help with hyperness… so maybe if you should look at sorting out the issues instead of trying to rehome him – these issues are very easily sorted with a little work.

Thirdly the whole stud dog thing… that’s a great idea if you want him to end up locked in a shed being used to line people’s pockets in a puppy farm – its hell for dogs .

I have noticed quite frequently that when seemingly genuine and upset people come on this thread looking for good advice you invariably find the necessity to answer in a patronising and sharp manner.

It quite quickly became apparent what the op meant when she said 'get rid of', we all got it. I'm pretty sure that the op did not mean to irritate anybody.

Also others were explaining, in a sensitive fashion, what giving a dog for stud to a breeder would mean, no need to be so passive aggressive in explaining about puppy farms. It was quite clear that the op had no understanding of the concept of them, and when this was explained, was completely horrified.

To be honest the op came on here and got really good, nonjudgemental advice, and will hopefully come again...... no thanks to you.

When the mods talk about unhelpful and aggressive posting, they are talking about YOU.

I shall go and report myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, this is a very difficult situation. You have health issues and your mum is older. A nutty young spaniel will chance his arm and try to get his own way when he can - why not! - if being moved off his comfy sofa, he will complain, and if complaining worked the first time (i.e. he was left where he was) then he will growl/bear his teeth again next time!

Knowing nothing about your mum and your dog and you I would respectfully suggest, that as you say, you have 'spoiled' him,so a bit of follow-up after telling him to get down/do what you want - i.e. dont let him get away with it. Be consistant. A little treat/rubs when he does what you tell him. One of my dogs will ALWAYS growl when we try to move him. In fact he is the most grumpy/complaining dog Ive ever had - very vocal! If he growls when we want to move him off/over on the sofa, he is immediately pushed down to the floor. (then we sit, then he either sulks or jumps back up in the cold/leftover space again!) He gets a sharp NO! when he growls at us, but we are happy that he is just a grumbler and a moaner...

I wish you and your mother the very best in resolving this emotional situation. If you both love the dog, and he is a loving pet most of the time, you just need to work out the kinks now, and you will all be happier for it!

(p.s. would seriously consider scheduling neutering him asap)

Hey OP glad to hear you sounding more positive :) was just thinking, do you have any close neighbours, friends or family with a dog and you could arrange a 'playdate' type thing, that is a guaranteed way to tire out your doggy (and you can just stand/sit around!), if you can't get a dog walker or have day care near you? Just a thought!

Okay folks,
    This thread was bound to get emotive, so I'd again remind everyone that the best way to influence others is to address them respectfully. You might not feel respectful, but nevertheless, you're most likely to get the result you actually want by reining in the derision, and just being nice.
    Let's get back on topic now.
    Thanks,
    DBB

My parents dog is a cocker. Quite old now so doesn't need (isn't able) for too much exercise but in his younger days definitely needed quite a bit. Something we did on days where we couldnt get out for a good walk for any reason was a good long game of hide the treat/toy. As a hunting breed they are excellent at this and really enjoy it so its very stimulating for them! I'm not saying you should do this instead of regular walks but if a neighbour/friend/relative could help out a few times a week with walking him, you could then maybe supplement that with these types of games on quieter days? Its actually really fun for the human too and doesn't require much effort other than trying to come up with new and inventive places to hide things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP I thought of you today. I met a lady in our shop that rescued a dog from a shelter I work with. He is an absolute smasher - pit bull/cross of some sort - the nicest dog, very sociable and friendly. She adores him. She has though, spoiled him very badly since he came to her. She told me today, that she had a behaviourist out three times to her house, because the dog was having some real issues. Now she says all her problems are solved. The problem was with her and letting her dog 'tell her' what to do/not do! She says she feels like she has won the lottery she is so delighted that she has sorted it all out. Shes been 'shown' how to manage him and his ways and his quirks, and is working hard to maintain her new relationship with her lovely dog. So, you see, problems even very serious problems, can be fixed! This lady must have been in her 60's, so maybe your mum should consider having some help come to show her how to manage the dog?

aonb wrote: »
    OP I thought of you today. I met a lady in our shop that rescued a dog from a shelter I work with. He is an absolute smasher - pit bull/cross of some sort - the nicest dog, very sociable and friendly. She adores him. She has though, spoiled him very badly since he came to her. She told me today, that she had a behaviourist out three times to her house, because the dog was having some real issues. Now she says all her problems are solved. The problem was with her and letting her dog 'tell her' what to do/not do! She says she feels like she has won the lottery she is so delighted that she has sorted it all out. Shes been 'shown' how to manage him and his ways and his quirks, and is working hard to maintain her new relationship with her lovely dog. So, you see, problems even very serious problems, can be fixed! This lady must have been in her 60's, so maybe your mum should consider having some help come to show her how to manage the dog?

I am delighted to say that we are now very much back on track with this. In fact I'm highly embarrassed about what I said the other night. I was (as they say) tired and emotional. I still can't believe that giving him away as a stud dog was suggested to me by a rescue center. I am not making that up, I hadn't even thought that way until she said it. So glad you guys set me straight on what it actually meant. I was genuinely clueless.

Mam was going through a bit of a hard spell that I'm glad to say she is now out of. I took her out for a pamper day and our little man was at his kennels. When we picked him up we had a long talk with the kennel owner who also trains dogs and has many years experience. He told Mam about how good our little doggie really is and that a few little changes will make the world of difference. We began today and he responded well to the few little things Mam tried with him.

Mam has agreed to call me if she feels overwhelmed again and I can go to her house and take him out for walkies or play with his toys and just generally take over so that she can rest. She's so good with him usually, she just felt down and out and not worthy of him. She's much better now as am I.

To be perfectly honest this was never about the dog, it was us who were having a wobble with our mental state. Problem was we both hit a wall at the same time! I am so glad I came on here, gave me serious perspective and the kick up the proverbial that I needed so thank you all very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I am delighted to say that we are now very much back on track with this. In fact I'm highly embarrassed about what I said the other night. I was (as they say) tired and emotional. I still can't believe that giving him away as a stud dog was suggested to me by a rescue center. I am not making that up, I hadn't even thought that way until she said it. So glad you guys set me straight on what it actually meant. I was genuinely clueless.

Mam was going through a bit of a hard spell that I'm glad to say she is now out of. I took her out for a pamper day and our little man was at his kennels. When we picked him up we had a long talk with the kennel owner who also trains dogs and has many years experience. He told Mam about how good our little doggie really is and that a few little changes will make the world of difference. We began today and he responded well to the few little things Mam tried with him.

Mam has agreed to call me if she feels overwhelmed again and I can go to her house and take him out for walkies or play with his toys and just generally take over so that she can rest. She's so good with him usually, she just felt down and out and not worthy of him. She's much better now as am I.

To be perfectly honest this was never about the dog, it was us who were having a wobble with our mental state. Problem was we both hit a wall at the same time! I am so glad I came on here, gave me serious perspective and the kick up the proverbial that I needed so thank you all very much.

And if YOU feel overwhelmed come talk to us! That's an order. :p

I don't know if it was mentioned before but have you also looked into interactive toys? An example here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D3544515031&field-keywords=&rh=n%3A340840031%2Cn%3A451110031%2Cn%3A471454031%2Cn%3A3544515031

Basically little things you can fill with food and just let your dog go at it, keeps them occupied and gets them thinking. It's really good especially if you feed your dog kibble from a bowl, instead of putting it in a bowl use it for a toy like one of those, Spaniels tend to love that sort of thing. :o They're really handy if you can't exercise your dog as much as you would like to.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Good idea VonVix. You can pick up Kongs and Jolly Pet things- small rubber toys you put the dog's ordinary kibble into and the dog has to work out how to get it out- pretty cheap in some pet shops. I got a little hedgehog one reduced 'cos it had got to look old and shopworn, the dog doesn't give a toss that it doesn't look new, it loves it.

Delighted OP, glad your mum is feeling better and things are more positive, we've all been tired and emotional, it's nothing to be embarrassed about xx

Advertisement