Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading old laptop

Options
  • 09-02-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I recently acquired a Sony Vaio PCG-7183m laptop. I want to give it a new lease of life. I'm going to install an SSD, which should be straight forward enough.

But I was wondering if I would be able to upgrade the RAM? I've had a look around and can't see if 4GB is the max I can install.

Would anybody be able to tell me where I would be able to find this information out and if so what sort of RAM would it take?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So old the spec sheets not on the sony portal..

CPU is very ehhh. Its at best SATA2 so an SSD will only run at 50% normal speed. The most likely chipset can only handle 4GB of DDR2.

Don't spend anything on this machine, donate it to Camara for african kids to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would be cheaper and better to buy a new laptop for €300.

Advertisement