Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage above amount of deposit

Options
  • 09-02-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

A tenant has left a property and caused significantly more damage to the property than will be covered by the deposit.

Does anyone have an experience in the necessary steps to chase a tenant for these costs?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

File a dispute with the PRTB asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Document everything. Stop calling the tenants and put everything in writing eg texts and emails

You have to go through PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Thanks. Is a ruling by the PRTB binding against a tenant?

A full report has been drawn up with photos and costings. Should I not approach the tenant first before contacting the PRTB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Penguino wrote: »
    A full report has been drawn up with photos and costings. Should I not approach the tenant first before contacting the PRTB?

You could. But if they dont respond almost immediately I would file with the PRTB, as a case like this could go on for a while. A PRTB is binding AFAIK. But getting it enforced if the tenant doesnt comply is the difficult part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Penguino wrote: »
    Thanks. Is a ruling by the PRTB binding against a tenant?

Yes, and can be taken to court to enforce. You'll need to know where they are, though.

Thanks All.

I will keep the thread posted as things progress starting with a phone call to the PRTB tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

L1011 wrote:
    Yes, and can be taken to court to enforce. You'll need to know where they are, though.

If you have their PPS numbers (you should if it's registered tenancy) PRTB can track them down assuming they're in the country and working or claiming a welfare payment

Whilst you may get a ruling in your favour getting the money is another matter.

Remember that any repairs can be discounted to reduce your tax liability just be sure to treat it correctly as a once off or capital allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Social welfare or working? Whats the amount of damages?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The chances of getting payment is very slim. PRTB work for the tenant paid for by the landlord

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The chances of getting payment is very slim. PRTB work for the tenant paid for by the landlord

I've had a ruling in my favor for a tenant who caused 000's in damage. They even paid up (or I'd say daddy paid up).

All down to the tenants and how the landlord wants to pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I know it's a pain when this happens and that you could go through the PRTB but from experience I wouldn't bother. Life is too short, the process is long and in the end you'll get nothing.

If the tenant claims inability to pay they will be ordered to pay some paltry amount like 5 euro per month and then you're left having to accept that.

We had a tenant who left owing months in rent, stole the appliances and sold them and left a room completely filled of refuse bags with rotting waste and nappies in it. That was 3 years ago and we're still waiting for the PRTB to track her down to go to court.

Not what you want to hear but it's what happens unfortunately.

Ken

Advertisement