Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog sleeping in bed..

• 09-02-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are people's opinion on this? I have a jack russell that just loves to sleep in my bed at night. He just loves the warmth and comfort of it. I allowed it one night when it was really cold in the house and now he juts barks when he's not allowed up. I actually don't mind having him but i'm a bit concerned about hygiene/sickness for my sake..

Just wanted to know does anyone else allow this with their dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

carzony wrote: »
    Just wondering what are people's opinion on this? I have a jack russell that just loves to sleep in my bed at night. He just loves the warmth and comfort of it. I allowed it one night when it was really cold in the house and now he juts barks when he's not allowed up. I actually don't mind having him but i'm a bit concerned about hygiene/sickness for my sake..

Just wanted to know does anyone else allow this with their dogs?

I've often slept in the same bed as my dogs there's nothing really wrong with it. Just creates a bad habit in my opinion like allowing a child to sleep in its parents bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's no hygiene issue unless the dog is running around crap-filled fields right before bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There's nothing wrong with it as such but it's a habit that shouldn't be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I don't see a problem with it, I often encouraged my lad up but he's such a grump that every time I moved he'd get off and have a sulk on the floor! As long as you know fleas etc. won't be an issue I really don't know why you wouldn't if that's what you want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

It's all personal preference. Nothing wrong with allowing it, nothing wrong with disallowing it.

I have two medium sized fluffballs (plus one large fluffball if you count the other half) who sleep in the bed with me, our third doggie doesn't because he's too big, and presently the two other people who live here and don't sleep with any pets are dying sick while myself and the other half are totally grand. :P So I'm personally going to blame close proximity to our dogs for our good health!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

My two dogs sleep in our bed any chance they get,and that's a golden retriever and a retriever x dalmatian,so two big dogs. We make sure paws etc are clean as they can change sheets every few days. Prob won't be as bad for you with a little dog.
    Each to their own I say,you'll get lots of people that wouldn't dream of sleeping with their dogs,and then the rest that have no problem at all with it.
    I love the cuddles and they keep me warm too,although we do fight over space and blankets ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Our 3 dogs sleep in the bed with us. I actually grew up with dogs being allowed sleep in the humans bed from the time I was a child, never caused a problem. Its human germs you need to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

My 3 year old Jack Russell has been sleeping in my bed the past two years. I'm as healthy as a horse! It was stormy one night, she was crying in her bed in the kitchen so I let her in my bed. She's been sleeping there ever since. She will scratch and physically through herself at the door if she's not in my room. She likes to sleep under the duvet behind my knees. She's very clean, she hates puddles/rain/water and refuses to walk/go out in wet conditions.

On the other hand my cocker spaniel loves his crate. He's happier sleeping in his own space. Plus he's the polar opposite of my Jack Russell. There's nothing he loves more than diving into a big muddle puddle.

I don't see any harm in it. Plus she acts like an extra hot water bottle on cold nights. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Health issues aren't really a worry but I was never a fan just because of practicalities. When I was married we didn't let the dogs sleep with us cause, y'know, no-one wants an audience and having to hoosh the dogs out of the bedroom before you even get started isn't exactly conducive to spontaneity.

Nowadays, it's mostly because my dog is a serious shedder and I like to keep at least part of the house hair-free. Nothing worse than considering clothes for work, lying them on the bed as you do and them being covered in dog hair then when you pick them up.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I used to let my cocker spaniel sleep in my bed, she was lovely and cuddley. Then when my son arrived, he'd sleep in the bed with us as well. Then we got another pup - a Staffie/lab and she slept in the bed too, but it became dreadfully crowded - 2 adults, a toddler, and 2 dogs in a 4'6 double bed! The dogs were moved out into their own beds at night, but TBH if I had a huge bed like a super king or something I'd be happy with everyone back in the one bed again.

Not sure if it makes any odds, but in terms of hygiene my son (now 4) is surrounded by animals and he's had an antibiotic just this week for the first time in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Having a female stafford, its not really my decision :D

When we fall asleep she's at the foot of the bed, when we wake up she's usually snoring on the pillow between myself and mrs trax.

When its really cold she sleeps under the duvet. She's better than any electric blanket.

I must point out that she's an indoors dog and keeps herself cleaned to OCD levels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My eldest dog, a Jack Russell mixed breed, is almost 6 years old and has slept on my bed since she 8 weeks old. I've never had any health issues at all, now if she didn't have a wash and was a bit smelly I'd have her sleep in the kitchen in her basket and she didn't mind. She's happy once she's warm. I always put a towel over my duvet before they get on my bed in a feeble attempt to stop their hairs getting on my bed sheets.

My second dog, a 2 year old border collie X springer, would jump through hoops just to sleep on my bed an inch from to my face. The same with her if she's a bit smelly from her walk she sleeps in her crate in the kitchen along with the terrier until they're washed. If I ask her to get off the bed she'd complain by grumbling and small barks before she gets down, but again never had any health issues. Just painful ribs by getting kicked all night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I don't like the hair or smell aspect. But I do like the companionship. One of the great things I've found about training my (elderly, arthritic, small) dog to use a crate was that it meant that she could sleep in my room without fear of her jumping off the bed and potentially hurting herself. She hated sleeping in a room by herself and once she got the idea that the crate meant sleeping beside you, she loved it.

Just a word of encouragement to anyone who is considering crate-training an older dog or has issues with an older dog who is fragile, losing their housetraining (as she had been a little) etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,291 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My 6 year old Golden Retriever used to sneak onto my side of the bed, but once i was away the wife invited him up, that was it, game over, the bed is his and I have to reserve my space at night.....

I love the fact that when I'm away, my wife feels protected by this golden wonder :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

My two cats sleep in the bed with me most nights. On nights that they don't, I miss them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Our terrier sleeps on our bed at night, but usually gets pissed off if we move our legs and jumps down to his own bed eventually. Jumps up for cuddles again around 6am then lies on his back with his head on the pillow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

We let our cat up if we're sick (mostly for comfort) during the day but she doesn't ever get to sleep with us at night. If nothing else we'd have to leave the bedroom door open for her to get to her litter tray/ water during the night and I cannot stand sleeping in a room with an open door.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

our chihuahua has been in our bed since he was little. he goes under the duvet & comes out when he too hot, spends awhile lying on the covers and then to his own bed. gives a yelp or two when he wants back in again. this happens a few times every night. always yelps on my side of the bed though, never hers.

when i go back home for a night or two, his dad is still there and he abandons my brothers bed and bunks in with us. space is premium then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm not a fan of dogs in beds. Mostly because it's nice to have one place not covered in hair, but also because I get disturbed enough sharing a bed with a human so anything liable to move around a lot and get up and down on the bed would mean I got bugger all sleep. Though if I could train it to nip anyone who snored it might be worth it.

I think that if you want the dog on your bed go for it. If you don't then don't. If anyone tells you either is wrong tell them to feck off. They don't have to sleep there so it's not their choice and they can shove their opinion up their bum.

Advertisement