Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pay rate

• 10-02-2016 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Anyone here from the motor trade? I'm been offered a position as a main dealer parts manager & have a weekly gross figure in my head, but I'm also thinking of a monthly comission %, any ideas what this may be?
    I'd love to get the job but don't want to seem too greedy either.
    Thoughts?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not sure myself but always ask for more than you think you will get, you can't negotiate up from whatever you initially declare you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

sirrah wrote: »
    Anyone here from the motor trade? I'm been offered a position as a main dealer parts manager & have a weekly gross figure in my head, but I'm also thinking of a monthly comission %, any ideas what this may be?

From what I've seen they are not well paid jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Goose81

Dunno about gross but id imagine net you would be talking 400-500 max.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Depends on the location and the franchise.
    Dublin dealers pay more as do dealers with higher volume.
    Going rate for a parts manager at the minute is 40-45k a year basic.As for bonus/commission..1-2% of profit after costs wouldn't be unusual.Some places pay lower basic but better commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Depends on the location and the franchise.
    Dublin dealers pay more as do dealers with higher volume.
    Going rate for a parts manager at the minute is 40-45k a year basic.As for bonus/commission..1-2% of profit after costs wouldn't be unusual.Some places pay lower basic but better commission.

Where are these jobs? :P

Been to a few interviews for parts manager myself lately, not in Dublin mind you, offers between 20-25k.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Where are these jobs? :P

Seriously though that's the going rate for a Parts manager.Anywhere from 40-45k
    Ive seen some as low as 35 but never as low as 20-25k.
    Been to a few interviews for parts manager myself lately, not in Dublin mind you, offers between 20-25k.

A parts advisor starts at 25k in Dublin.Sure its a managers job youre going for.Some places will make out that youre a "parts manager" and then low ball you with offers like you've gotten.

If youre serious about it keep trying--there are jobs out there at closer to what Im saying is the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

I'd talk about how discriminating the industry is, but I'll leave that for another drunken rant ;)

Seriously though that's the going rate for a Parts manager.Anywhere from 40-45k
    Ive seen some as low as 35 but never as low as 20-25k.

A parts advisor starts at 25k in Dublin.Sure its a managers job youre going for.Some places will make out that youre a "parts manager" and then low ball you with offers like you've gotten.

If youre serious about it keep trying--there are jobs out there at closer to what Im saying is the norm.

Yeah, i'd went for parts manager in a few places, all down the country though and the dealerships wouldn't be the near the scale of some Dublin outfits. The kind of places where if you were "parts manager" you'd be the only person in parts.

Actually starting (again) as a service advisor on Monday... for €25k. I need a foot back in the door of the industry really so i'm happy enough to start out on that.

Actually starting (again) as a service advisor on Monday... for €25k. I need a foot back in the door of the industry really so i'm happy enough to start out on that.

25k starting as a service advisor isn't that bad to be honest.

As a friend is mine once said when I asked him for advice his response was
    "Leave the motor trade"

21 years on and Im still in it but its like this industry is in your blood.
    Don't think Ill ever get out of it though.

polan wrote: »
    I'd talk about how discriminating the industry is, but I'll leave that for another drunken rant ;)

Please do but wait until Im hammered and Ill join you!!!!

• Advertisement

25k starting as a service advisor isn't that bad to be honest.

As a friend is mine once said when I asked him for advice his response was
    "Leave the motor trade"

21 years on and Im still in it but its like this industry is in your blood.
    Don't think Ill ever get out of it though.

That's it. Everybody in the industry says don't go near it but I love it.

I was a service advisor before, lost my job in the recession, retrained in a different field but absolutely cant wait to get back at the cars. It's addictive.

What I found too was the difference between waged in brands was cavernous. Had a few interviews at "premium" affairs like BMW etc offering far better packages that the more mainstream Hyundai, Renault etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yeah, i'd went for parts manager in a few places, all down the country though and the dealerships wouldn't be the near the scale of some Dublin outfits. The kind of places where if you were "parts manager" you'd be the only person in parts.

Is there much pressure to up sell to customers in that job?

There would certainly be an element of it for sure, but only where beneficial to the customer, as in taking a more premium tyre as opposed to a ditchfinder or replacing something easily accessable during another job that would usually be quite labour intensive. as in, replacing a clutch kit while the gearbox is off to have a synchro replaced as it may make a saving down the line even though the customer may not need it at the time.

You'l find customers usually want the cheapest way out, garages want the most complete way out, to try and best serve the customer in the long run and being a service advisor usually involves getting the two ot meet in the middle in my experience.

If you're asking what I think you're asking though, the garage wouldn't have pressure on you to make extra sales fixing things that aren't actually broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Vary depending on location , type of dealership, number of staff e.t.c ..Is there a company car ? If so then I assume BIK would need to considered..

There would certainly be an element of it for sure, but only where beneficial to the customer, as in taking a more premium tyre as opposed to a ditchfinder or replacing something easily accessable during another job that would usually be quite labour intensive. as in, replacing a clutch kit while the gearbox is off to have a synchro replaced as it may make a saving down the line even though the customer may not need it at the time.

That's the ideal situation. Not always the the first thing in a customers head though.
    to try and best serve the customer in the long run and being a service advisor usually involves getting the two ot meet in the middle in my experience.

No being a service advisor means youre the one that takes the abuse from certain customers while the service "manager" hides in his office doing what service managers do and only get involved when its escalated up the line so to speak!!!
    If you're asking what I think you're asking though, the garage wouldn't have pressure on you to make extra sales fixing things that aren't actually broken.

But that's the mentality that the public think main dealers are up to.Where we really aren't. Most distributors now will have spot checks and random calls to customers to make sure the work that was required was the only work done and that they weren't ripped off.
    But in saying that a lot of distributors are now using and recording/encouraging upsales as a KPI in order to increase business through their workshops. There is a lot of pressure on dealers to now maybe change something(say a set of pads) that might have made it to next service in order to keep up their KPI ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

In the dealer I'm in, the service advisors get paid a commission on service plans sold and up selling calls made in regard to vehicle health checks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

the markup on premium tyres and budget tyres are just the same to what the seller gets

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sirrah

Thanks for all the replies, have a figure in my head so I'm going to run with that, will keep you all posted ;)

Advertisement