Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

permanent migration questions

Options
  • 10-02-2016 6:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

1. With regards looking for a job when is the best time to head over on a permanent migration visa?

2.What are the options of 3rd level education for permanent migration visa holders?, Is it very expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It may help to say what visa, but it doesn't change much.

Not January for any kind of work, january sucks across the board. I've found August/September to be pretty good timing wise.

Until you get Permanent residency so if there is a bridging visa or a waiting period (could be 12 to 24 months), you will be paying for all 3rd level as a foreign student., can be up to $15k per semester.
    Once PR is granted, you can get Australian Resident rates, but no HECS/HELP, so you will have to pay in cold hard cash (Expect to pay approx 4.5k-5k per semester for full time student load)
    Once citizenship is granted, you have full access same as all Aussies, you can get HECS, defer your payments until your income hits the threshold, then pay it back out of your pre-tax income.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

It may help to say what visa, but it doesn't change much.

Not January for any kind of work, january sucks across the board. I've found August/September to be pretty good timing wise.

Until you get Permanent residency so if there is a bridging visa or a waiting period (could be 12 to 24 months), you will be paying for all 3rd level as a foreign student., can be up to $15k per semester.
    Once PR is granted, you can get Australian Resident rates, but no HECS/HELP, so you will have to pay in cold hard cash (Expect to pay approx 4.5k-5k per semester for full time student load)
    Once citizenship is granted, you have full access same as all Aussies, you can get HECS, defer your payments until your income hits the threshold, then pay it back out of your pre-tax income.

As a single person how much money should one have saved before going over? I have a brother over there and he said I can stay with him until I get sorted with a job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

As a single person how much money should one have saved before going over? I have a brother over there and he said I can stay with him until I get sorted with a job

Bare minimum of $3k AUD.
    Depends on where your brother is though. Sydney, Melbourne and Perth all have a high cost of living, Brisbane and Adelaide less so.

In terms of employment, what do you do (What have you done)?

Advertisement