Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing aid second hand

Options
  • 10-02-2016 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Apologies if this isn't the right place or if it's not appropriate. My granda passed away recently quite suddenly. He has just purchased a hearing aid (widex) and never got to use it. I believe he paid almost 12k for it. It's digital with the remote control.

I'm just not sure what to do with it now. It seems an awful shame to just bin or store such an expensive piece of equipement however I assume these are custom made and not suitable for anybody else. Perhaps somebody might not what is best to do with it.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I cannot suggest how you deal with it, and I doubt it cost 12k, but afaik hearing aids are only personalised by adjusting the software and the earpiece, both of which could be changed. It would have to be dealt with by a Widex agent. Do you know where it was purchased, that might be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

The dearest widex i can find is about 2000 euro.that hearing aid could be modified to fit and suit someone else.call a private hearing aid clinic and enquire.ask them could it be resold etc.
    If they won't take it with more information i might.

Depends on what you want to do with it i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Thanks, have the receipt so I can speak to the shop it was purchased in. The remote is widex perhaps the hearing aids themselves aren't. I'll check the box again. He had 2. I'm 100% on the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Ahhhh two hearing aids.you didn't mention that.6 grand each nearly makes sense.good luck with it.

Thanks, just seems such a shame for brand new expensive equipment to be thrown out or stored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh it is, Definitely do something with it. If you don't make any other progress you might look at https://www.irishdeafsociety.ie/.

Good idea would love somebody who needs it and might not otherwise be able to afford it to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Ahhhh two hearing aids.you didn't mention that.6 grand each nearly makes sense.good luck with it.

The most expensive Widex hearing aids (Widex Unique 440) cost €3,695 a pair with Specsavers. This price includes the aids themselves, along with a 90-day money back qarranty, a 4 year manufacturer's warranty, 4 years of batteries, unlimited audiology consultations for setting, maintenance etc.

Someone was having a laugh, or else gouged your Grandad big- time, if they charged him €12k for a pair..

What model are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

traineeacc wrote: »
    He has just purchased a hearing aid (widex) and never got to use it. I believe he paid almost 12k for it. It's digital with the remote control.
    I'd advise talking to a shop that deals with only Widex, and get their opinion. 12k is a bit excessive, but is that solely for the hearing aids, or is there much gadgetry that was purchased with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement