Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Tri Harbourman (Spr/Oly) 10th July 2016

Options
  • 10-02-2016 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

http://wicklowtri.com/harbourman/

Entries open now; Wicklow Harbour swim, old N11 bike, Murrough/town run. Really looking forward to this race!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Just entered there, just going to do the Sprint. Looks like a good course, swim in Olympic is very similar course to the sea swim course there, have seen that race once or twice and can be a choppy swim. Hope your down for that one Kurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

joey100 wrote: »
    Just entered there, just going to do the Sprint. Looks like a good course, swim in Olympic is very similar course to the sea swim course there, have seen that race once or twice and can be a choppy swim. Hope your down for that one Kurt!

It's a great place to swim. Start in the Harbour (tide makes no difference), then Oly goes out for a nice loop. Let's hope for a bit of chop ;) Best thing is that the Harbour offers an almost guaranteed swim in the case of severe whitecaps outside it.

The road section along the old N11 is very fast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hoping to do this as well. Haven't entered anything yet, trying to plan out what will work best for me. Did I read this is just round one of entries?

Off topic, but, assuming Beast of the East won't be back now if this is the Wicklow Tri race? :(

Hoping to do this as well. Haven't entered anything yet, trying to plan out what will work best for me. Did I read this is just round one of entries?

Round one has sold out for the Oly. I've heard another round will open either Fri or Sat next (subject to confirmation though).

• Advertisement

Worst things about Tri...races sell out too quickly...and all open at the same time. Hard to finance everything early in the new year...

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Round one has sold out for the Oly. I've heard another round will open either Fri or Sat next (subject to confirmation though).

They just confirmed they are still open... there was a technical error which showed as sold out earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Signed up for the Oly this morning. Never ventured out of the harbour before but I prefer sea swims to rivers by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Would the sprint be a good option for someone aiming to complete their first tri - in particular the swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Would the sprint be a good option for someone aiming to complete their first tri - in particular the swim?

if you're decent swimmer sprint is more than ok option. If you're still uncertain in waters maybe try-a-tri would be a better option...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 RaoulDuke1415

Hey lads, I'm looking for an entry to the sprint distance for this race. If you know of anyone who cannot make it I be really grateful if you could send me a message.

Briefing is out, the swim is now contained within the Harbour, one or two laps of a 750m course. The run course looks a bit convoluted, might be an idea to run it beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

One interesting line in it.... "The transition area will be neutralised to avoid a situation where competitors will have an advantage depending on location of their bikes." - this means the transition times don't count towards results yeah? So everyone can take their time getting out on the bike and run?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    One interesting line in it.... "The transition area will be neutralised to avoid a situation where competitors will have an advantage depending on location of their bikes." - this means the transition times don't count towards results yeah? So everyone can take their time getting out on the bike and run?

A neutralised transition mean the trans route in/out offers no advantage dependant on bike placement. T1 and T2 will be included in your overall time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

That run route is mental. I wonder did/will someone from WTC Garmin it beforehand?

That run route is mental. I wonder did/will someone from WTC Garmin it beforehand?

2 flights of stairs :D

Get the briefing in email Kurt?

joey100 wrote: »
    Get the briefing in email Kurt?

Yeah, PM me your email address and I'll forward it on.

I think it's overdescribed on the briefing, looks mental all right!:D

Shouldn't be too difficult to follow though, the Oly is 6k out-and-back along the Murrogh road to Rathnew cemetary, the remaining 4km is two loops along South Quay to the Harbour pier end and back. With a few steps thrown in for fun :D

Looks like the swim start is rolling too rather than a big wave start. Never raced one before like that, might help sort out some of the drafting but could make picking who to start behind on the swim very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

i've signed up for the sprint, looks like a lumpy enough bike route, i'm not familiar with the area, would you recommend a road or tt bike?

• Advertisement

Not familiar with the route either but it doesn't look that bad and seems straight forward enough. I'll be going TT bike anyway.

TT bike route all the way.

Swam the route tonight, then the run... pacing will be important on this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

TT bike route all the way.

Swam the route tonight, then the run... pacing will be important on this course.

Tough run ?

Tough run ?

Easy to burn matches early on the bike. The last 4k of run features quite a few turns, steps to be negotiated. All good fun, but two hard loops on tired legs.

Awesome race today, there was a really good buzz around for the whole event. Very well organised. That wind on the bike was tough going out! I had a good swim and bike, but died a death on the run. Should have listened to my own advice re pacing! Nice to meet so many Boards people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Anyone know what the drafting penalty is ? Got 4 mins today thought it should be two?

Also anyone know if a drafting penalty is worth appealing? Got involved in the front of the bike for the first time at the very start today after a good swim was 4 of us constantly overtaking for the first 5k . Two got away and then I was third with a guy right behind me for about 4K then. He then suddenly passed me on a corner. Motorbike marshal comes around after him boom I get hit with a blue card. Absolutely fuming talked to ti afterwards but said the marshal said there was 4 or 5 us on the limit. But I'm the only one in a race of 300+ plus who gets done?? The guy who I was meant to be drafting ended up three minutes behind me on the bike, some draft I was getting.........

Anyone know what the drafting penalty is ? Got 4 mins today thought it should be two?

Also anyone know if a drafting penalty is worth appealing? Got involved in the front of the bike for the first time at the very start today after a good swim was 4 of us constantly overtaking for the first 5k . Two got away and then I was third with a guy right behind me for about 4K then. He then suddenly passed me on a corner. Motorbike marshal comes around after him boom I get hit with a blue card. Absolutely fuming talked to ti afterwards but said the marshal said there was 4 or 5 us on the limit. But I'm the only one in a race of 300+ plus who gets done?? The guy who I was meant to be drafting ended up three minutes behind me on the bike, some draft I was getting.........

If he stopped drafting at that point there's the three minutes. Can't comment on your specific case but there was a huge bunch working together I noticed at turnaround- I was around top 20 at that stage. Tough to see when you've spent 30 mins solo into a headwind. Plenty more needed to get carded, but its an unfair system caused by unfair athletes. Not saying you were unfair, but for your own sanity its best to just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Did the Sprint today and I have to say it was a brilliant race, really well organized, great atmosphere, great support, really well marshaled.... Stupid wind though, sort it out Wicklow Triathlon Club!! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

but for your own sanity its best to just let it go.
    Drafting is really frustrating but Kurt hit it on the head, people will always do it, most will never get caught, if you think too much about it you will end up frustrated. Pity.

Well done on your good swim.

• Advertisement

Fantastic race, thought quite a tough day for it yesterday.

Swim was a lovely loop, nice calm waters, easy to sight, cycle was a fantastic surface, nice combo of hills and flats, something for everyone. Obviously the wind was a balls yesterday but we can't blame them for that. The run was a lovely route, nice wide footpaths, nice little loop around the town at the end. The stewards/Gardai on the bike did a great job at all the junctions, and the encouragement from all the stewards was very enthusiastic.

Few small complaints/suggestions....
    1. Swim exit to transition was a bit of a distance. I presume there was nowhere better for transition, but I saw some people had runners handed to them on swim exit - surely an unfair advantage?
    2. Water points on the run was a bit too close to the end for Olympic, another water point on the outward loop would have been nice.
    3. I had no idea how far the finish line was from the turnaround point, didn't know whether I'd 100m to go or 1k to go when I got around the bends (thought that was probably my own fault for not knowing the lay of the land.

Advertisement