Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for traditional Irish food?

Options
  • 09-02-2016 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Anyone have recommendations for "traditional Irish" food in the city. Have some non Irish work mates who are mad eager to try stuff like a Irish Stew, Colcannon, Chowder, Pigs Trotters etc.... I'm a veggie so not really being much help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭Guffy

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for "traditional Irish" food in the city. Have some non Irish work mates who are mad eager to try stuff like a Irish Stew, Colcannon, Chowder, Pigs Trotters etc.... I'm a veggie so not really being much help

Stew in garveys looks good. Never had it though.

Chowder, the fisherman in the galway shopping centre is delicious!!

They can make colcannon themselves sure. Easy as pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

gufc21 wrote:
    They can make colcannon themselves sure. Easy as pie.

Cheers for those.... Colcannon is easy yeah but potatoes are a mystery to some of these folk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭Guffy

Cheers for those.... Colcannon is easy yeah but potatoes are a mystery to some of these folk

Ha they're a mystery to me too... i put them in the pot say an our father and three hail marys and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Would you not just take them somewhere good rather than somewhere doing gimmicky Oirish food a la Riordans. Tribeton do a great chowder. Fisherman too as has been mentioned but they are takeaway really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Probably should have worded that better actually. Not looking for gimmicky stuff. Looking for good examples of these kinda dishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from (X) thread so it doesn't take up that with lengthy food discussion.

http://www.ardbia.com/
    chowder
    fry
    salmon

Moar chowder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

For a real old timey irish restarant experience i'd recommend Cooke's or McSwiggans. Haven't been in a while but Busker Browns always has a good variety for good value and used to do a damned fine stew.

Moran's Oyster Cottage or Monks in Ballyvaughan are quintessential Irish experiences for our visitors (Guinness, mussels, brown bread). Padraicins in Furbo is another safe bet for tasty chowder with a view.

Don't forget to take them out for a few pints followed by a traditional doner kebab or garlic cheese chips. Follow that up with a breakfast roll in the morning and their culinary adventure will be complete (shortly followed by death by gastric misadventure).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

O Gradys in Barna is really good if you dont mind leaving the city.

Advertisement