Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Connection just picks up Guest Network

Options
  • 10-02-2016 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I've been using the Asus RT-N66U with my old ISP for a good while. Now I have changed ISP and the service comes with a supplied router (Greenpack) to which I seem to have no access and which is needed to supply power to the outside receiver unit (rural fixed wireless) and also to connect the included landline.
    Naturally I want to continue using the Asus and was told just to connect the supplied router to the Asus (WAN port). I used Automatic IP as connection type.
    It is working perfectly for the wireless part of my network (SSID HomeNet). However, the main PC is connected by cable to the Asus. But the only network available is Asus_Guest1 so I have no access from that PC to the Intranet.
    Also, I renamed the guest network and enabled Lan access but the network picked up by the PC does not change from Asus_Guest1. Is this Asus_Guest1 some kind of hidden default? Is there any way I can get the cabled PC to connect to the "normal" HomeNet as it did before?
    If I use a wireless adapter, "HomeNet" will show up as available.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The Greenpack is most likely a router, you do not want two routers, set the Asus to access point mode so it's not routing. I'd also advise doing a factory reset on the asus, what you describe sounds strange, that your lan is connected to the guest bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Thanks for your response :)
    Yes, the Greenpack is a router.
    I do not want to put the Asus into AP mode as that would disable most of its features which I rely upon (like NAS which is essential). The wireless network speed from the Asus is significantly better than that from the Greenpack.
    ANyhow, the guest1 now lets me access the intranet, so I'm happy enough for now.
    I tried to ascertain the network topography which seems convoluted (2 local hosts? ANd i think I identified the Greenpacks' IP (as accessing it asks for login credentials).
    I'll leave it at that for now, I do not have the expertise to fiddle around with it in-depth on the chance of messing it up even more :P. It does what I need it to do even if in a messy way, lol.

Advertisement