Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donagh Lynch memorial 2 Mile Raheny 17 Feb

Options
  • 10-02-2016 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

THE seventh annual Donagh Lynch Memorial 2 mile road race takes place this day week (Wednesday night (February 17) at 8pm) in Raheny.

It's a really great race.

Donagh was tragically killed in a skiing accident on February 1, 2009. Even though he had only joined the club seven months previously he made an indelible impression. Apart from possessing all the attributes necessary to have a successful career in athletes, such was his outgoing personality that he quickly immersed himself in all aspects of the club's activities.
    Typically his last contact with the club was during the 2009 Raheny 5 road race when he gave up the opportunity to take part in the race and acted as a steward instead. In his last competitive race he had set a personal best time in the Winter League in a two mile race.
    To honour his memory the club staged the Donagh Lynch Memorial 2 mile race for the first time in 2010.

Before the race, all participants predict their finishing time at registration, then take off their watches and race!
    The Donagh Lynch Memorial trophy will be presented to the athlete who is closest to predicting his or her finishing time thus giving all participants an equal chance of winning silverware. In the event of a tie the trophy goes to the person with the slowest time.
    Registration takes place in the clubhouse (behind the Raheny Scout Den) from 7.15pm. Prize presentation takes place after the race. Light refreshments will also be served (Tea, biscuits etc).
    ALL WELCOME! You don't have to be a member of Raheny or of any running club.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am in Germany for this, shame would have loved to run lt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Is there an online registration? And how much does it cost?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

KJ wrote: »
    Is there an online registration? And how much does it cost?

No you just turn up at the clubhouse and pay, think its 5 or 7 euro cant remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Dub13 wrote: »
    No you just turn up at the clubhouse and pay, think its 5 or 7 euro cant remember.

Yes, it's pay on the night -- any time from 7.15-ish and then it's just a 5-min walk to the start (or less).

Can't remember how much. Maybe €7? definitely under a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I couldn't make it tonight. How did it go? Sounds a great idea to run a fast race without the safety of being able to look at a watch and adjust pace etc.

• Advertisement

Hi
    It went great! Pretty good turn out - about 50 (those races are usually anything from 25-50 runenrs depending on the time of year etc). It was a lovely night for racing.

Here's the report:

http://www.rahenyshamrock.ie/

and for people who are wondering if they'd like to come down to some Raheny races but aren't sure of the pace etc etc - look under the Results tab - you'll see there's a broad range of finishing times etc. All welcome to the rest of the league. (Sometimes there is cake after.)

I couldn't make it tonight. How did it go? Sounds a great idea to run a fast race without the safety of being able to look at a watch and adjust pace etc.

ps, forgot to say, I suppose not looking at watch is good! I never look at my watch in these races anyway because it's dark and because they're short and I'm usually concentrating on catching people etc, but what was different last night was that no one calls out your splits (usually there's someone at the mile mark calling out times) so you really don't know your time and have to just keep pushing.

I miscalculated and ran 11 secs faster than my prediction, but was happy anyway!

Advertisement