Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend/renovate or build??

Options
  • 10-02-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Apologises for this long winded question....as a single female,my knowledge on this topic is limited!!my elderly parents live alone & have a 1970's bungalow.i couldn't live in it in its current condition-it's approx 1500sq ft.no insulation to speak of,needs new windows.if I sell my own house,I'd have 100k give or take to put into it.id like to put on a small extension to the kitchen/sitting room.(new kitchen needed).the attic is quiet large but the roof height isn't tall enough to convert which id like to do.so basically,the whole 4 bed house needs gutting & reconfiguring!from watching tv programmes,I don't think 100k will go very far.other option is to buy a site for about €40k & I'd like to build a house of approx 2000sq ft. I'd have about 200k to spend on that give or take,from start to finish to include everything!I'm living in the Midlands.anybody any thought on what may best course of action would be?many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Are your parents currently living in that house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

delly19 wrote: »
    Apologises for this long winded question....as a single female,my knowledge on this topic is limited!!my elderly parents live alone & have a 1970's bungalow.i couldn't live in it in its current condition-it's approx 1500sq ft.no insulation to speak of,needs new windows.if I sell my own house,I'd have 100k give or take to put into it.id like to put on a small extension to the kitchen/sitting room.(new kitchen needed).the attic is quiet large but the roof height isn't tall enough to convert which id like to do.so basically,the whole 4 bed house needs gutting & reconfiguring!from watching tv programmes,I don't think 100k will go very far.other option is to buy a site for about €40k & I'd like to build a house of approx 2000sq ft. I'd have about 200k to spend on that give or take,from start to finish to include everything!I'm living in the Midlands.anybody any thought on what may best course of action would be?many thanks in advance!

you couldn't really have asked a more how long is a piece of string query. Very difficult for anyone to give you advice without knowing the specifics of the existing property. Best place to start is a local architect for some advice

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what exactly are you hoping to end up with? a home with a granny flat attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 delly19

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Are your parents currently living in that house?

Yes they are living there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 delly19

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what exactly are you hoping to end up with? a home with a granny flat attached?

Yes basically a granny flat but one that could be easily converted to bedrooms etc in time.the rooms I have earmarked were once a large granny flat when my parents bought the house.so some of the plumbing remains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement