Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adam Johnson pleads GUILTY

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will any club try and sign him.

Adam Johnson: Ex-Sunderland and England star released from jail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-47666849

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can't imagine there is a club who would be daft enough to try. At least I would hope there isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not after the furore following Ched Evans, before his conviction was overturned, at least not in the UK.

A lower league club overseas might consider taking a chance though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Probably wants to become a manager of a youth team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

He's 31 now. I dont any high profile club would be interested due to age to begin with. Will take him a good while to get match ready again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not after the furore following Ched Evans, before his conviction was overturned, at least not in the UK.

A lower league club overseas might consider taking a chance though.

Article mentions that as a sex offender he has to inform the police if he intends of traveling abroad. I wonder if going overseas is actually an option?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,483 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Article mentions that as a sex offender he has to inform the police if he intends of traveling abroad. I wonder if going overseas is actually an option?

Of course it is an option - informing the police doesn't bar him from doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Of course it is an option - informing the police doesn't bar him from doing so.

Even during probation period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

With this type of conviction it will be difficult for him to get a work visa in many countries such as the USA and China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Even for a non league English club to take him on is surely not worth the public backlash they would receive. Even a 5 a side Tuesday night league team would draw some unwanted attention. You can't really life your life in anyway public if you have been convicted of a sex crime.

If he's allowed to go abroad he might escape most of the unwanted attention. Maybe Malta or somewhere might be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His career is finished. He won't get a work visa with a conviction for China or the States and no club in england in their right mind would touch him.

Its the least he deserves to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

tbh I'm shocked he's out this early, 3 years for grooming a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

rob316 wrote: »
    His career is finished. He won't get a work visa with a conviction for China or the States and no club in england in their right mind would touch him.

Its the least he deserves to be honest.

Turkey would welcome him with open arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Clubs have signed players for doing worse things in the past but the players werent as high profile, lee hughes and mccormack the keeper spring to mind.

Do the crime do the time doesnt seem to apply here.

There was a huge backlash against every club that tried to sign ched Evans after his release and before his acquittal.

Grooming a child is not something any club will want associated to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rob316 wrote:
    There was a huge backlash against every club that tried to sign ched Evans after his release and before his acquittal.
    Shows you what's wrong with the world, he was guilty by the stupid people of social media despite having an appeal lodged.
    This is very different though, this guy is a self-confessed sex offender so no chance of him getting a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Grooming a child is not something any club will want associated to them.

Bohs or Waterford will take him sure. They have had and have Izzy Akinade on their respective books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Evans is back in pro football now though. Of course Johnson has the guilty verdict with him.

Johnson will probably find a club too, at a level low enough that the ability he brings (and financial gain) is worth the criticism (and financial hit) the club will take.

I don't think many clubs give a crap about anything other than winning games, despite what they might like the public to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have no doubt Johnson will find a club that will take him.

When your good enough clubs will take the bad publicity if the player is talented enough

Ronaldo is allegedly a rapist yet juve still signed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ASOT wrote: »
    Turkey would welcome him with open arms.

Age of consent in France is 15. Decent clubs and money there......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I have no doubt Johnson will find a club that will take him.

When your good enough clubs will take the bad publicity if the player is talented enough

Ronaldo is allegedly a rapist yet juve still signed him

The most important word in your post, Allegedly!

Johnson is a self confessed Peadophile. No UK team is going to go near him (Bohs or Waterford in Ireland possible)

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bohs or Waterford will take him sure. They have had and have Izzy Akinade on their respective books.

That girl was 14 while he was 16. There is no comparison to what Johnson did and the profile is far greater. He's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No chance a club will take him. The level of bad press they'd get would be off the charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That girl was 14 while he was 16. There is no comparison to what Johnson did and the profile is far greater. He's done.

im not sure the lack of comparison goes the way you think. Being involved in a gang rape is very much on the high side of the sex crimes scale.

The most important word in your post, Allegedly!

Johnson is a self confessed Peadophile. No UK team is going to go near him (Bohs or Waterford in Ireland possible)

Technically dont think he is a paedophile. Doesnt that only refer to kids below a certain age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Why do people even consider he is looking to get back into pro football? He is 32 at the end of the season, will never regain fitness that a guy in his position relied on and has plenty of cash still in bank I imagine to invest in some sort of business to make a decent living from.
    He does seem a bit shameless though, well going by the whole welcome home party thing, helium balloons and all. So who knows.

Apparently he invested in property and was pulling in 5K a week even when in prison. That's 250k a year (and whatever else)

Why do people even consider he is looking to get back into pro football? He is 32 at the end of the season, will never regain fitness that a guy in his position relied on and has plenty of cash still in bank I imagine to invest in some sort of business to make a decent living from.
    He does seem a bit shameless though, well going by the whole welcome home party thing, helium balloons and all. So who knows.

Apparently he invested in property and was pulling in 5K a week even when in prison. That's 250k a year (and whatever else)

He actually was never really fit, that why he never made it at city, when he started he was nackered by about 55 mins. His stamina was a real problem. His football brain and ability means hed still be one of the best in the championship imo.

You are right tho, not worth the hassle from his point of view of he has that money coming in like you say. If he doesnt have the money then he will have no choice. What else could he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Only if he allows his investments mature...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Only if he allows his investments mature...

see what you done there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement