Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adam Johnson pleads GUILTY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I've read all that. I'm curious how BorneTobyWilde thought she was days away from 16 yesterday when it happened. Did he make it up or was it in the rags somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We should wait for actual facts a lot of reactions here are based on imaginations of what actual went on.
    Some who play it down might change their minds when the facts are laid out in front of them, true also for the people who want to burn him at the steak.
    I'm sure the facts will give balance ,then drop to one side of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

We should wait for actual facts a lot of reactions here are based on imaginations of what actual went on.
    Some who play it down might change their minds when the facts are laid out in front of them, true also for the people who want to burn him at the steak.
    I'm sure the facts will give balance will drop to one side of the argument.

The facts are being read out in court.

Now tell us all how you think she was "mere days" away from being 16 when he started his predating on her? It was NYE, and she's turned 15 in the November (she would be 16 the following november), so she was, actually, days from 14.

There is no imagination here, he is texting a 15 year old girl telling her he wants to get into her jeans (lol), and asking for "more" the next time they meet.

All a totally innocent misunderstanding, isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The facts are being read out in court.

Now tell us all how you think she was "mere days" away from being 16 when he started his predating on her? It was NYE, and she's turned 15 in the November (she would be 16 the following november), so she was, actually, days from 14.

There is no imagination here, he is texting a 15 year old girl telling her he wants to get into her jeans (lol), and asking for "more" the next time they meet.

All a totally innocent misunderstanding, isn't it.

This was me being guilty of responding without knowing facts. I assumed that someone of 15 would be 15 plus a number of weeks or months and be closer to 16 than 15.
    I too should wait for facts. This thread was running long before any facts were made public, yet it did stop people giving their opinion. Me included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He deserves jail time, in all honesty. Clearly abused his position and coerced a girl into that scenario, knowing well that she was too young.

Seeing stuff on Twitter whereby some folks are saying, "most lads would do it". Absolute morons.

At 25, I can barely relate to women aged 21 or 22, who are still in college. He was 27, chasing a girl who would be the equivalent of a Junior Cert student in this country. Junior Cert.

That is frightening, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I can see no reason why he would have told his high-paying employer that he was involved in criminal activity. He might be disgusting, but I doubt he's totally stupid.

I mean after he was arrested. I assume he didnt rock on one day and tell the chairman I'm texting this 15 year old hoping for a bit on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Coat22 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is saying "its grand" or "he should get away with it" but the usual reaction of "burn him at the cross. He's up their with Hitler and Stalin" is laughable.
    Without going back through the thread I don't think there's many, if any, worse than Hitler/string him up responses. Of course that may change as the full facts begin to emerge. The twitter of that journalist reveal a pretty despicable side to Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

This was me being guilty of responding without knowing facts. I assumed that someone of 15 would be 15 plus a number of weeks or months and be closer to 16 than 15.
    I too should wait for facts. This thread was running long before any facts were made public, yet it did stop people giving their opinion. Me included.

That doesn't make a blind bit of difference. The age of consent is there for a reason and this girl wasn't it. Johnson knew this.

I'm sure the facts will give balance ,then drop to one side of the argument.

Are you missing the live court updates of this. The facts seem pretty black and white.

• Advertisement

This thread was running long before any facts were made public, yet it did stop people giving their opinion. Me included.

This thread has been running since Adam Johnson plead guilty to Preying on an underage girl and kissing her. They are they facts we had at the start of this thread.

Some people wanted to downplay those actions, for some weird reason.

Whether it was "shure, she was nearly sixteen anyway" or "it's ok in Serbia" - people were still downplaying the illegal actions of a mid to late 20s man grooming a child and getting her into a position where he was able to kiss her. And being charged with more than that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

What the hell is his missus doing holding his hand on the way to court ?

Honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

This whole "grey area"(it isnt grey at all) over AOC is disgusting.

He's 28. TWENTY-EIGHT.

She's 15. Yes there are countries where she's over the AOC but regardless, a 28 year old stalking and being a predator to a girl that age is revolting.

He deserves everything he gets. And more.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

TheNap wrote: »

Honestly.

Probably hoping he gets locked up so she'll have sole access to the bank accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The girl congratulating him on the birth of his child during the facebook messages too makes it all more vile on his part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Honestly.

It's hard to know how you would feel without being in that situation. I imagine some people would find it impossible to just turn off their feelings at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Oranage2 wrote: »
    15 is a very borderline age, I wouldn't do it myself but a 15 year old would be able to sexually reproduce as well as some of them at that age can be pretty, again I don't think what Johnson did was right but I don't think what he did was a horrible crime.
    Are you feeling okay:confused:. Johnson is a disgrace. I hope he gets his headed kicked in when he goes to Prison.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Are you feeling okay:confused:. Johnson is a disgrace. I hope he gets his headed kicked in when he goes to Prison.

nonces are usually put with other nonces. Not with the general population, even other criminals won't put up with nonces.

Unlike this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

nonces are usually put with other nonces. Not with the general population, even other criminals won't put up with nonces.

Unlike this thread.

See it bull sh*t like this others were talking about earlier - complete over reaction.

Yeah the guy broke the law and should be punished. Yeah he seems a complete waster of space and utter ar$ehole.

But spare us all the " good decent criminals won't put up with the likes of these guys" guff.

He did whatever he did. He'll be probably jailed. He did what he did with a girl who if she were 10 months older there would be no police investigation or people on here calling for his balls to be chopped off. That doesn't excuse it but the usual pitchforks and faux internet outrage is alive on this thread today.

Coat22 wrote: »
    See it bull sh*t like this others were talking about earlier - complete over reaction.

Yeah the guy broke the law and should be punished. Yeah he seems a complete waster of space and utter ar$ehole.

But spare us all the " good decent criminals won't put up with the likes of these guys" guff.

He did whatever he did. He'll be probably jailed. He did what he did with a girl who if she were 10 months older there would be no police investigation or people on here calling for his balls to be chopped off. That doesn't excuse it but the usual pitchforks and faux internet outrage is alive on this thread today.

I think the same with any of these cases its the knowing you're doing wrong and very wrong that causes the issue. If you dont think he'll get a hiding in jail for it you're mistaken. Theres a reason why so many sexual offenders are housed seperately in prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Iang87 wrote: »
    I think the same with any of these cases its the knowing you're doing wrong and very wrong that causes the issue. If you dont think he'll get a hiding in jail for it you're mistaken. Theres a reason why so many sexual offenders are housed seperately in prison

Have you been in jail to know this ? and do you really think he will be jailed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I hope the book is thrown at him, this wasn't a drunken mistake where he bedded some barely 16 year old who said she was 18 and looked it, he knew what he was doing, its disgusting. Abused a position of power as a professional footballer and seduced this young girl with his fame.

I'm 28, my boss has 2 girls aged 15 and 16, I mean Christ I couldn't even imagine it, they are children.

For the record while he will be placed on the Sex Offenders list, I do think its over the top to tar him as a paedophile, he probably doesn't have sexual tendencies towards children. He just started something, knew it was wrong and kept going with, just another bored and stupid footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just saw some of the things read out in court today. What an absolute scumbag. He knew full well what he was doing and deserves everything he gets.

Can't believe some of the posts in this thread though. Really incredible to see people trying to defend his actions.

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Iang87 wrote: »
    I mean after he was arrested. I assume he didnt rock on one day and tell the chairman I'm texting this 15 year old hoping for a bit on the side

I'm also talking about after he was arrested. Why on earth would he risk a high-paying job by telling his employer the truth? How would that have helped his situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Honestly.

Sickens me that, just like Darina Allen standing by her man!! Vomit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Honestly.

She was pregnant, wasn't she ?

Either a misplaced sense of loyalty, or holding out until they get married and then fleece him for all he's worth.

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Probably hoping he gets locked up so she'll have sole access to the bank accounts.

That's harsh.

Her character really shouldn't be a matter for speculation, she's standing by the father of her child. She has not answered any questions as to her motives - nor should she - so to assume she is some gold digger is just a presumption and she shouldn't be judged on that.

Unlike Johnson, who will be judged on the testimony...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's harsh.

Her character really shouldn't be a matter for speculation, she's standing by the father of her child. She has not answered any questions as to her motives - nor should she - so to assume she is some gold digger is just a presumption and she shouldn't be judged on that.

Unlike Johnson, who will be judged on the testimony...

This has all only happened over the past few days too, so I imagine she's very much still processing it. The plea of guilty, and the full reality of the events being read out will have completely turned her world upside down. I'd say its normally enough for people to just go along with the status quo right when it happens, almost out of pure shock, and then go for more extreme action when it's all properly sunk in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You just have to laugh reading those texts, I mean you can't be that unbelievably stupid which means he is really a sick sick individual.

Honestly.
    DaveSuarez wrote: »

vicwatson wrote: »
    Sickens me that, just like Darina Allen standing by her man!! Vomit

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and reveal a little more about myself than I'd normally be comfortable with, but it has to be said.

A person very close to me was tried and convicted of something very similar. It's an extremely confusing and painful time. It's not as simple as just walking away and forgetting about that person. You can't turn off your feelings like a light-switch. The shock alone takes a lot of time. A lot of time.

The people that are saying Johnson's partner is hanging in there for the money should be embarrassed over their level of ignorance. As a country, do we not know enough about sexual abuse at this stage to have some level of sympathy for all of the victims?

Because there are a lot of victims here. Obviously there is the person that suffered the abuse, and there is that person's family and friends. Our first thoughts go to those. But there's also the family and friends of the abuser. They're victims too. Their life turned upside down, but with the added misfortune of trying to find the love and forgiveness within themselves so they might save the relationship they had with their son/father/husband/friend.

It's a horrible situation and I doubt anyone gives a fcuk about money or football right now, as hard as that might be for some of you to comprehend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Here's (the courthouse update tweeter) Josh Halliday's report in the Guardian;
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/12/adam-johnsons-arrogance-led-to-child-sexual-assault-court-told?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Pretty disturbing stuff to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He deserves everything he gets

Just read the stuff from the trial. What a sicko.

Fingers crossed there's some justice coming his way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not apologists or downplaying. He has commited a crime, he will be punished.
    What more do you want?

I wouldn't go as far to call him a paedophile due to her age. In other countries in Europe the age is 14, so it's a grey area.
    CSF wrote: »
    Arguments of 'this sexual offence is worse than this sexual offence' rarely go well.

No need to decide whether it's Adam Johnson or Rolf Harris or Jimmy Saville has committed the worst offence.

They're all paedophiles and the court will determine their punishments relative to the severity and frequency of their crimes.

He's not a paedophile though. Is he not a ephebophile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

It's a classic case of grooming there simply are no mitigating factors that can make Johnson look any "less" of an offender.

Doesn't matter a fcuk that she wasn't 5 or 6 or whatever, can't understand why some folk can't get their head around this.

It's a classic case of grooming there simply are no mitigating factors that can make Johnson look any "less" of an offender.

Doesn't matter a fcuk that she wasn't 5 or 6 or whatever, can't understand why some folk can't get their head around this.

5 or 6 is much, much worse than 15 tbf.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

But that's too hard to pronounce and doesn't reduce as easily in the way that 'pedo' does.

5 or 6 is much, much worse than 15 tbf.

Why did you only stop at 2 much's mate. If I'd said 3 or 4 you probably would've used a couple more yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Those texts are super creepy.

He's finished though, done.

Amazing that the Mrs is standing by him still after the revelations that he was texting the young one just after texting the Mrs cooing over their infant daughter. That's so slimy.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

That is correct.

He may be a weirdo...but he's not a paedophile.

Either way, they all go on the same list once convicted of a sex offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Those WhatsApp messages are disgusting. Based on what came out in court today, hopefully he will have the book thrown at him.

Why did you only stop at 2 much's mate. If I'd said 3 or 4 you probably would've used a couple more yeah?

Okaaaaaaaay..... This is odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Paully D wrote: »
    Those WhatsApp messages are disgusting. Based on what came out in court today, hopefully he will have the book thrown at him.

How was this going down in the dressing room/club or even with the fans in the city do you know.

I don't mean this week now obviously but since the allegations first came up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If Sunderland were aware of the details then playing him is a disgrace, honour his contract while the legalities get sorted, fine, but don't select the ******* for squads allow him to represent you any more not to mention pay him performance bonuses. I really hope he was lying to them too.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland get more than enough wrong but the constant "Sunderland should have done X, Y, Z" in every 2nd post is getting very old now.

They suspended him when he was first arrested and lifted the suspension when he was bailed while the legal process continued:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/adam-johnson-returns-to-sunderland-training-as-club-lift-his-suspension-following-arrest-for-10117339.html
    A club statement said: "The club has discussed the current position in detail with both the PFA [Professional Footballers' Association] and Adam's representatives.

"In line with those discussions we recognise that the player is entitled to re-commence his duties with the club while the legal process continues. He will therefore return to training.

"The club's own investigation cannot continue until the conclusion of the legal process. Sunderland AFC will make no further comment on the matter due to the ongoing police investigation."

He then had his contract terminated hours after he pleaded guilty.

The club are not psychic and I think it's only fair that they get the benefit of the doubt as opposed to the constant hypotheticals. I read from a north-east journalist that Sunderland were shocked at the guilty plea as indications had pointed to the opposite.

Don't forget that Sunderland's Chief Executive is a lawyer who has worked as a Legal Director in the past. They wouldn't have been short of getting the correct legal advise on how to handle the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah I'm not sure Sunderland have done much wrong here to be honest. They are his employer and have dealt with it accordingly.

The main issue here is Johnson himself and not Sunderland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From what I read today in the news reports, if he doesn't get major jail time for this it will be an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

NIMAN wrote: »
    From what I read today in the news reports, if he doesn't get major jail time for this it will be an absolute disgrace.

What would consider major jail time.

Okaaaaaaaay..... This is odd.

Yeah like you don't know what I'm getting at, but it's an emotive issue so I'll put it too you this way, a groomer's motives are always the same and that is to abuse. It doesn't matter if the kid was 15 or younger Johnson's motives don't change, and that I think is key.

Yep, a kid is a kid. He took advantage of her. Those texts are creepy as ****.

The guy is a sick man.

Yeah like you don't know what I'm getting at, but it's an emotive issue so I'll put it too you this way, a groomer's motives are always the same and that is to abuse. It doesn't matter if the kid was 15 or younger Johnson's motives don't change, and that I think is key.

And all I was saying is that it would have been far worse if it was a 5 or 6 year old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement