Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Beers Saturday April 9th

• 08-02-2016 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Evening all.

TGC has not had a beers in quite some time, a couple of years ago we had them pretty regularly and they were usually a great success, I think at one in particular we had 30 to 40 attendees which for a relatively small forum like this was fantastic.

Prompted by a post in another thread where a couple of people said they had recently moved to Dublin, I think the time could be right to resurrect the beer drinking traditions of old.

I will stick up a poll to see if there is much interest and we can take it from there.

Mods, I'm on mobile so can't work the poll, ye might do the honours.

3 options I think would be grand, yes, no and interested but not 100% sure should do.

Who is going for beers on Saturday? 18 votes

I'll be there
    0%
    Nope I am a bore
    61%
    UnknownentropiPepe LeFritsjackofalltradesThe MastertampopoPawwed RigancapailldorchaulinbacThe Moldy GowlTorricelli 11 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    38%
    UnknownDotsie~tmpPepe LeFritsThe Master[Deleted User]karaokemanLiam McPoyle 7 votes

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Atari Jaguar
    I'm up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If I'm back in country I'd be up for it too. Not seen many heads from boards in quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Nope I am a bore
    I'm in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nope I am a bore
    Hmmm... Is there a date in mind? It's it's fairly cheap to fly over I could be persuaded.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Atari Jaguar
    I don't know the regulars here, but would still go whenever it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Atari Jaguar
    Hmmm... Is there a date in mind? It's it's fairly cheap to fly over I could be persuaded.

Had no date in particular in mind, potentially the weekend before Paddy's day (might be a bit soon though) or the first weekend in April.

Easter is early this year so March will be a busy month for most people.

Atari Jaguar
    So there is some interest anyway which is always good.

Would peoples preference be a Friday or Saturday night?

How about we put up a poll for either

Friday 1st April
    Saturday 2nd April

Friday 8th April
    Saturday 9th April

At least that gets Paddys day and Easter out of the way.

What about potential venues?

The more night club type places aren't conducive to chats so the more pub/old man type speakeasies tend to suit better.

Some past venues included The Duke, Cassidys on Westmoreland St and P-Macs so similar to those is probably the way to go.

Suggestions welcomed!

Atari Jaguar
    Thanks to whoever amended the poll however its saying I've already voted and won't let me vote again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems to be an issue rested to the recent Boards outage. Pawwed Rig set up the poll correctly, but it's still looking closed. Odd. :confused:

Atari Jaguar
    I voted 'yes' to beers, and it now says I voted for 'Friday 1st of April', which has 0 votes. hmm...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nope I am a bore
    How's that?

Polls are always a pain in the arse to set up

Atari Jaguar
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How's that?

Polls are always a pain in the arse to set up

Seems to be working now PR, cheers!

Atari Jaguar
    The more night club type places aren't conducive to chats so the more pub/old man type speakeasies tend to suit better.

Some past venues included The Duke, Cassidys on Westmoreland St and P-Macs so similar to those is probably the way to go.

Suggestions welcomed!

I vote for nightclubs to be an option for those who want to go after the pub, they can be a bit of craic if you have a good group.

Atari Jaguar
    karaokeman wrote: »
    I vote for nightclubs to be an option for those who want to go after the pub, they can be a bit of craic if you have a good group.

Oh absolutely no issue with that mate, Doyle's was usually the next stop on from wherever the beers were, I just ment that starting the night in places like that is a bit pointless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Wherever we're going, can we make sure that it has some decent beers i.e. more than the usual Guinness, Smithwicks, Bud lite cr*p?

Somewhere like Sweetmans might be good.

Just my 2c.

Atari Jaguar

Ive no objections to Sweetmans anyway.

Though craft beer can suck my ass.

Atari Jaguar
    Sweetmans sounds good, its very central due to its proximity to Tara Street and streets with lots of buses going (O' Connell, Westmoreland, etc). Never been there myself, but always happy to check out new spots.

Atari Jaguar
    When does the Poll close, P?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nope I am a bore
    Never at the moment. How long do you want? Another week?

Atari Jaguar
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Never at the moment. How long do you want? Another week?

Aye, say this day week?

I'd be happy enough to just call Sweetmans too, decent boozer, central and close to Doyle's.

When the date is decided I will ring them and book a table or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Would be up for this too! Sweetmans sounds good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Atari Jaguar
    I've wanted to drop in to one for a bit. Might drag a coupe lads too for a session.:D

Atari Jaguar
    So Sweetmans on Saturday the 10th of April it is.

Huzzah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nope I am a bore
    Flights are looking quite cheap.

To be clear, you mean the 9th of April BC?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

You're right Capaill, it's Saturday 9th . . . . on my calendar at least.

EDIT: Ah I see where the problem is. The poll has the dates wrong - Friday 9th and Saturday 10th.

Nope I am a bore
    EDIT: Ah I see where the problem is. The poll has the dates wrong - Friday 9th and Saturday 10th.

No it doesn't :o

Nope I am a bore
    Saturday is the 9th of April. It'd better be at least as I am seriously tempted to spring for flights and a B&B.

Atari Jaguar
    Saturday is the 9th of April. It'd better be at least as I am seriously tempted to spring for flights and a B&B.

Ment the Saturday alright which is the 9th!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't.

*may not actually be true.

Atari Jaguar
    So what time would we be thinking chaps?

I will ring and book a table in the next day or two.

Nope I am a bore
    Just had a bit of a nasty shock. Was looking at flights and they were coming in at £150 and upwards. They were £30ish last week. Turns out I'd set the date to the 9/3 to the 10/3.

Atari Jaguar
    Right, gonna call 8 bells as kick off time.

I will ring the bar next week and book a table under my name.

Nope I am a bore
    Flights booked! £100. That's what happens when you put things off....

Atari Jaguar
    Afternoon all.

I've booked a couple of tables for the 9th in Sweetmans for 20:00.

Not sure where they are sticking us yet, the person who is over the bookings was off today so will call me back tomorrow to confirm.

Its booked under my name, Adrian.

Hope to see you all there!

Atari Jaguar
    Hi all.

Booking confirmed, she thinks we will be on the second floor however said that there is a blackboard just inside the main door that has listings for reservations on the night on it so to check there on arrival to confirm.

Nope I am a bore
    Thanks for organising this, Saul. See ye in a week and a half!

Atari Jaguar
    So this Saturday, so exciting!

I will arrive about 7:45 or so and scout out where we are being put and will post here when I sit.

Some of you know what I look like but for any newbies that are thinking about popping along feel free to PM me and Im happy to give you my number.

Everyone had to go to their first beers at some point or another and it can be pretty daunting so what Id say is dont be shy and dont be afraid to come over and sit down, we dont bite, well, I cant vouch for the Master on that but you should be ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh the Master? That fcuker bites alright. Gives the evil eye too.

Nope I am a bore
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh the Master? That fcuker bites alright. Gives the evil eye too.

You're coming, right?

Said the actress to the bishop. :D Oh I am trying to sort things out so I can.

Atari Jaguar
    Any idea yet where in Sweetman's yee'll be?

Atari Jaguar
    Any idea yet where in Sweetman's yee'll be?

The girl thought it might be the second floor but couldn't confirm as they didn't have final numbers of how many people reserved seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Nope I am a bore
    The girl thought it might be the second floor but couldn't confirm as they didn't have final numbers of how many people reserved seats.

It better be a big floor as 4000 people voted yes :)

Atari Jaguar
    ulinbac wrote: »
    It better be a big floor as 4000 people voted yes :)

I seen that alright, stupid Boards!

Nope I am a bore
    Telling the staff that I'm looking for a table under the name of "Saul T Nutzz" might not be the best idea so I'll have to try to remember your actual name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Telling the staff that I'm looking for a table under the name of "Saul T Nutzz" might not be the best idea so I'll have to try to remember your actual name.

No real names, that's the rule and that's what you have to ask the waitress! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I am hoping to go, but my health took a bit of a knock recently, so I'm not sure. It's only temporary, btw. My body will decide for me on Saturday...

Well back in the days of BGRH, all newbies had to bring a can of condensed milk. I can't remember why condensed milk was chosen, but it was an easy way of telling who was part of the crowd.

Of course there was a couple* who went to one without the cans and asked a group if they were from the internet and when they said they were, they joined in until they realised it wasn't BGRH but a group from swingers.ie :p

*True story and I'm not naming names.