Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Retro

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Look at the size of that QS tin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Great photo :-) The QS tin caught my eye as well. I miss the old packaging too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mmmmm walnut whips. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Was just thinking today about the Christmas sale of work we used to have in our local village. My earliest Christmas memories are of heading off with my mum to the local one every year, the excitement! Craft fairs seemed to have taken over but from memory you could buy everything at a sale of work, turkeys, baked goods, holly, decorations. In the days before the European style Christmas markets of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,460 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My mother use loves these when she was younger. Can any of ye remember them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Don't remember any of these, judging by the price they may predate even my vintage!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

That makes sense so. Not something I remember at all growing up.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Speaking of retro @freshpopcorn i love your ceiling decorations. I loved them as a kid nobody does them anymore

Thanks,

we never know whether to do them or not. We replaced them on Amazon in 2021 and they were expensive enough for something you'd buy in the pound shop before.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭BK5

I managed to buy these in Mr.Price about 5 years ago and put them across the ceiling in the canteen in work. Haven't seen them in a shop since mind.

Still see them most years in Mr price or suchlike. I'd love to do them again but the Mrs is having none of it 😆

We had a matching red and gold theme. Need four long ones to square the room off and then four ones coming diagally out from the lampshade.

Then we've 16 individual decorations.

All are new enough.

Apart from this fella who dates back to the 1980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Our house used be destroyed in those decorations when I was growing up! You'd never really see them anymore. It's mad that a sort of decoration can fall out of "fashion" so much after being the thing to do for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭pigtail33

We always had those foil decorations on the ceiling during the 80s. I grew to dislike them back then as my Dad insisted on putting them up every year, even when they were long out of fashion. We don't use the foil ones anymore, but instead, have paper ones that are close to 100 years old! They have to be very carefully boxed away in January every year. I think they originally came from my Grandad's house. I have now grown to love them though as they are a big part of our family tradition.

My brother hates them. I think we partly put them up to annoy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭matchthis

Picked up a few of the ceiling decorations in homestore last year. Wasn’t enough for what I wanted to do. Hopefully get a few more this year.

Anyone remember putting balloons in the tree. We had a real tree and balloons went in I think to fill gaps. When the tree was coming down, we were distracted by playing with the balloons. There was also the odd hear5 attack from random balloon pops while watching tv

We did balloons on the ceiling but don’t remember any on the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭tscul32

Yes, had forgotten this. The long balloons were much easier to fit cos you could just slide them between branches.

Balloons on the ceiling also. Random balloon drops and pops all over Christmas 🎈 🎄

Omg, I love this thread. I love those old foil decorations! My aunt bought me two small strands of them in recent years and she had to get them on Amazon. I'll keep an eye out in Mr Price though. I would love to find the old gold and red foil Merry Christmas banners. They were everywhere in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Jude13

We still do those foil decorations in our kitchen, just for nostalgia. We also have a nostalgia tree, which is basically for me and the kids to decorate in coloured lights and stuff I remember from my childhood. We're not allowed touch the main tree.

The balloons on the ceiling mage me laugh. We had them in the tree one year growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Lads, I'm pretty sure Dealz does those foil decs. Just the long ones, mind.

I'd love a few bells and snowflakes in foil.

I got a foil bell in the Livin Island shop on Talbot Street Dublin last year. They had that and other old skool glittery decorations. Just what I like! All I need now is the house to put all this stuff up in. I really thought I'd have my own house this Christmas. Oh well, I may just put all my decorations up in the office again ;-) the coworkers will love that!

Can anybody remember these?

I think I remember those strawberry and creme sweets. I want to say early 2000s maybe. And then I'm questioning whether I'm dreaming that but I feel as if I remember these. Roses and Quality Street were so much better years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭BK5

I still think Quality Street is not too bad but Roses have really gone down the tubes. I was talking to a fella who used to work in Cadburys and he said ever since they were taken over by an American company the ingredients are cheaper. He said some but not all of Cadburys products have less cocoa in them and more palm oil and Roses is one of them. You can taste the difference in the chocolate in Roses these days, it's rank.

Advertisement