Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any websites for game collectors?

Options
  • 10-02-2016 1:33pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Is there any website out there for collectors to discuss the current and future value of games.

For example, I'd love to know which of my sealed/collectors editions will continue to accumulate in value over the next few years.

Any websites like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's impossible to tell what will end up expensive but with the way most collectors editions bottom out in price and how it's mostly the very common games that that mostly have collectors editions I doubt they will hold much value. The real expensive games are usually the weird stuff that comes out at the end of a console generation, the likes of The PS3 Atelier games or Lost Dimension or a Vita special edition physical release of a weird Japanese release would have more potential of becoming rare.

Really you don't know until demand goes up on ebay or auction sites. Retro gaming has gone a bit banana's at the moment with some of the best selling games of all time like FF7 having disproportionate prices compared to much rarer games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's impossible to tell what will end up expensive but with the way most collectors editions bottom out in price and how it's mostly the very common games that that mostly have collectors editions I doubt they will hold much value. The real expensive games are usually the weird stuff that comes out at the end of a console generation, the likes of The PS3 Atelier games or Lost Dimension or a Vita special edition physical release of a weird Japanese release would have more potential of becoming rare.

Really you don't know until demand goes up on ebay or auction sites. Retro gaming has gone a bit banana's at the moment with some of the best selling games of all time like FF7 having disproportionate prices compared to much rarer games.

I have a few pretty cool pieces but i also need to buy a high-end PC for a project. I have two The Last of Us statues (1 sealed) and they can go for 300-500 euro on eBay. They would pay for the majority of the outlay but am terrified they'd be worth even more in a few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

FutureGuy wrote: »
    For example, I'd love to know which of my sealed/collectors editions will continue to accumulate in value over the next few years.
    Generally "collector's editions" are a marketing trick. Slapping the word collector's edition on them does next to nothing to increase their value. It has to be rare, so if they make more than a few hundred it's not going to be all that rare. Everything is mass produced these days and anything that's mass produced won't be valuable for probably a few hundred years when most of the production run has been destroyed. Just look at the likes of Pawn Stars. It's the limited run promotional items that have value. Mass production stuff, no matter how old is worthless, because it's easy to come across other better examples..

You'll probably need to wait a generation before they would become any ways valuable. It's typically the kids who can't afford it now that want these things when they're older and have some money.

Advertisement