Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shower fault

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    My very first comment. :)

Dont get overly excited just yet:D

Question for the electricians on the page. If full consumer board was fitted by reci electrician last year and he installed a 32amp should he come back and fit correct one for free?
    Can't OP contact RECI itself if he can't get him back?

They probably should come back. Id say getting them back is another story probably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Question for the electricians on the page. If full consumer board was fitted by reci electrician last year and he installed a 32amp should he come back and fit correct one for free?
    Can't OP contact RECI itself if he can't get him back?

It would depend on the cable size feeding whatever it is feeding.

The CPD protects the cable, not the load.

Steve wrote: »

The funny thing is about fixed appliances such as a shower, there is no real possibility of the cable becoming overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Steve wrote:

Steve wrote:

But 32amp is always undersized for an 8.5kw shower regardless of the cable size & the length of the run? Or am I wrong on that? I'm happy to be corrected on this. Genuinely curious

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote:
    Dont get overly excited just yet

I'm just poking fun. Op won't know for a few weeks yet if replacing rcbo sorts the problem.

But 32amp is always undersized for an 8.5kw shower regardless of the cable size & the length of the run? Or am I wrong on that? I'm happy to be corrected on this. Genuinely curious

Yea but the cable should be sized for the 40 amp breaker.

I'm just poking fun. Op won't know for a few weeks yet if replacing rcbo sorts the problem.

I know, so am I. With the OP now saying its a 32 amp rather than the original 40 amp mentioned, and mentioned that it seems to happen more often when showers are longer, its likely the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Doesn't matter what the load is, if the cable is too small it will melt if you put a bigger breaker in than it can handle.

Showers (8kw) should be wired using 10sq but there could have been 6sq installed which means max 32A CPD.

Doesn't matter what the load is, if the cable is too small it will melt if you put a bigger breaker in than it can handle.
    Slightly ott there imo.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    The funny thing is about fixed appliances such as a shower, there is no real possibility of the cable becoming overloaded.

There is if 6sq (or smaller) is used. OK for short bursts but not for prolonged use.

Slightly ott there imo.

Ok, to be more precise, it wont actually melt, it will harden and the insulation will break down and crack over a long period of time which will eventually cause it to short and heat up... even then it won't melt but will do it's thing (provided its LSF) and turn straight into carbon and do it's best to not propogate a fire into the rest of the environment... :P

It's easier to say 'it will melt' to a non electrical person :D

Ok, to be more precise, it wont actually melt, it will harden and the insulation will break down and crack over a long period of time which will eventually cause it to short and heat up... even then it won't melt but will do it's thing (provided its LSF) and turn straight into carbon and do it's best to not propogate a fire into the rest of the environment... :P

Well what I mean is, if you put a 200 amp breaker on a 6 square cable to a shower, it still wont automatically start melting, or harden.

Well what I mean is, if you put a 200 amp breaker on a 6 square cable to a shower, it still wont automatically start melting, or harden.

Correct, but if you were only replacing the consumer unit (which is the scenario described), how do you know what is on the far end?
    If you see 1.5sq, more than likely it is a light circuit but it may not be.. do you put a 20A breaker on cos maybe they've connected a 3kw heater in the attic? No, you put a 10A on because its 1.5sq :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

I did alot of basic calcs a good few years ago before I installed my Electric Shower and here are a few extracts (just my calcs, mind).

8.5 KW Shower running at a nominal 230V with a 10 Meter run (20 Meters "To & From")
    Using 10 M2 cable. Shower Output: 8.41 Kw, Circuit current: 36.76A, Cable losses: 0.71 watts/Foot
    Using 6 M2 cable. Shower Output: 8.35 Kw, Circuit current: 36.62A, Cable losses:1.17 watts/Foot

Steve wrote:
    It's easier to say 'it will melt' to a non electrical person

I like this one better. :)

Correct, but if you were only replacing the consumer unit (which is the scenario described), how do you know what is on the far end?
    If you see 1.5sq, more than likely it is a light circuit but it may not be.. do you put a 20A breaker on cos maybe they've connected a 3kw heater in the attic? No, you put a 10A on because its 1.5sq :)

Good point. But presumably any installer will actually check what appliances are on what breakers, and test run them.

A 40 amp breaker wont really overload a 6 square cable to melting point with an 8.5kw shower on it. If it did, then the 10 square will also be overheating.

But anyway, you make a good point. The electrician may have seen a 6 square cable, and wouldnt put anything more than a 32amp rcbo on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

I did alot of basic calcs a good few years ago before I installed my Electric Shower and here are a few extracts (just my calcs, mind).

8.5 KW Shower running at a nominal 230V with a 10 Meter run (20 Meters To & From)
    Using 10 M2 cable. Shower Output: 8.41 Kw, Circuit current: 36.76A, Cable losses: 0.71 watts/Foot
    Using 6 M2 cable. Shower Output: 8.35 Kw, Circuit current: 36.62A, Cable losses:1.17 watts/Foot
    I like this one better. :)

This is the one I was really looking for:
    9.5 KW Shower running at a nominal 230V with a 10 Meter run (20 Meters To & From)
    Using 10 M2 cable. Shower Output: 9.38 Kw, Circuit current: 41.05A, Cable losses:0.855 watts/Foot
    Using 6 M2 cable. Shower Output: 9.31 Kw, Circuit current: 40.88A, Cable losses:1.46 watts/Foot

Advertisement